Crap Tournament 9

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Von
Button Masher
Button Masher

Crap Tournament 9

Post by Von »

Crap Tournament 9 is now open for registration!

http://tournaments.twingalaxies.com/#/e ... ment9/main

Participants may be prompted to sign up for the site before they can register for the tournament.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Crap Tournament is a yearly MAME competition where all the titles are selected based on their relative obscurity or overall lousiness.

Every year brings in new pure crap and some hidden gems - you'll play some of the worst games ever made, and discover some amazing titles you never would've played without the tournament.

The games are hilarious, but the competition is fierce. Think you're a true gamer? Come prove it in the Crap Arena.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tournament will last 10 days, stretching over 2 weekends, beginning May 5th at 12:00 AM Eastern and ending May 14th at 11:59 PM Eastern. This is a hard cutoff. All scores must be submitted by 11:59 PM Eastern on May 14th.

The tournament will consist of 12 games, none of which will be announced until moments before the tournament start. Of these 12 games, 10 will be announced at the start of the tournament, while the remaining 2 will only be announced at the beginning of the closing weekend (May 12th, 12:00 AM Eastern). Proper game settings will be detailed for each title.

The scoring format is simple: 12 points for first on any given title, 11 points for 2nd,... 1 point for 12th, and points are only awarded for places 1 through 12. Thus, a perfect score for this tournament would be 144, regardless of the number of participants, and it's entirely possible to accumulate 0 points despite submitting a score for every game. In other words, the competition will be rough, and the winner will be the player who is the best all-around crapper.

Once the tournament officially starts, an easy submission process, live updating standings for each game, and an overall leader board will become visible for all registered participants.

As part of the submission process participants will have the option to upload a screenshot, an INP, or link to a Twitch stream highlight or the RetroUprising scoreboard. Screenshots are required for all submissions which do not include an INP or Twitch highlight. For scores that achieve a top 5 placing on a game, the player must submit an INP or Twitch highlight. Submissions done with RetroUprising automatically fulfill the screenshot and INP requirement.

WolfMAME 0.106, WolfMAME 0.185, and RetroUprising are the acceptable MAME platforms for this competition. If a player somehow actually has cab access to one of the crap titles they are of course welcome to play on the original hardware.

General tournament rules still apply: For MAME, no autofire, no pausing, and average recorded speed must be 95% - 101%. All scores must be submitted within 24 hours of when they were achieved.

Get busy crappin' or get busy dyin'
I'm too sexy for everything.
Von
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: Crap Tournament 9

Post by Von »

The Crappening is happening! And now with almost 20% more pig!!

The leader board is live and several scores have already been submitted.
http://tournaments.twingalaxies.com/#/e ... ment9/main

Here is a download for the first 10 roms: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9a5AV ... NaRnc/view

The documented settings are default for all games in both 106 and 185, however I did not check RU settings and it is possible they do not align with those of 106 and 185. Please inform me of any games where this is the case and the tournament site will be updated accordingly.

Thank you everyone. Have fun.
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

I'm not understanding what's so crap about Butasan, it's a legit game imho 8)
Despatche
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Despatche »

thanks for running this! glad to finally be here.

your plump pop is missing a file for 0.185, but does work in 0.106. then your butasan doesn't read in 0.106, when it reads fine in 0.185. all other roms read in both versions, though i doubt oriental legend works at all in 0.106.

time limit is WAY too fast, i have no idea what's going on here. this can't be right, can it?

seems to be an issue with mad crasher's settings. the site says "difficulty: normal", but mad crasher only has easy and hard settings. however, it does have a scroll speed setting that defaults to "normal", and scroll speed isn't mentioned at all on the site.

i can't find a setting for plump pop that actually matches the extend setting on the site. going with all defaults.
Von
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Von »

Kale wrote:I'm not understanding what's so crap about Butasan, it's a legit game imho 8)
The Crap tournament isn't necessarily all about objectively bad games (though it features plenty), it's also about featuring "hidden gems", or games that aren't widely known but are actually pretty decent. Additionally the Crap Tournament has always featured at least one pig-related game, so whether it's a bad game or not, if pigs are prominent in the game you can bet it'll eventually end up in Crap.
Despatche wrote:thanks for running this! glad to finally be here.
your plump pop is missing a file for 0.185, but does work in 0.106. then your butasan doesn't read in 0.106, when it reads fine in 0.185. all other roms read in both versions, though i doubt oriental legend works at all in 0.106.

time limit is WAY too fast, i have no idea what's going on here. this can't be right, can it?

seems to be an issue with mad crasher's settings. the site says "difficulty: normal", but mad crasher only has easy and hard settings. however, it does have a scroll speed setting that defaults to "normal", and scroll speed isn't mentioned at all on the site.

i can't find a setting for plump pop that actually matches the extend setting on the site. going with all defaults.
Plump Pop should only be played in 106 -- this clause is included in the rules. There's the missing file issue and the mismatched settings issue with 185. Eventually Plump Pop scores that used 185 may get DQ'd. Maybe not though, it depends if the extend settings in 185 offer any sort of advantage. What are the extend settings in 185 -- I couldn't get Plump Pop to run.

The Butasan rom I provided should work. It works in 106 for me and there have already been multiple 106 submissions.

Oriental Legend does in fact work in 106, just make sure you have the pgm bios.

Mad Crasher defaults should be good for both 106 and 185. "Difficulty" in 106 is called "Scroll Speed" in 185. It's confusing I know, but just play everything on default and you'll be fine.

Time Limit is crap. And it's awesome.
Despatche
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Despatche »

oops i didn't see that. i found a newer plump pop set and it works fine. the actual dipswitch settings are the same in both versions, all off. i'm thinking 106 just had a typo, but i can't actually get to 50k and 70k to check :V

weird. 106 claims there are missing files in the butasan you gave me. i don't get it.

so for mad crasher, if difficulty is now called scroll speed... what's the new difficulty setting?
Von
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Von »

Default settings in 185 should give an 'Easy' difficulty for Mad Crasher.

I'm sure whichever rom you're using for Butasan will be fine. Just have fun sir.
Despatche
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Despatche »

thank you. i was just wondering what the "difficulty" dipswitch actually did. i guess it affects car spawns or something. i really like mad crasher, glad this got pulled.
Von
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Von »

So it looks like there is a butasan rom and a butasanj rom, and the only difference is whether or not the game includes English. At some point the names and which serves as the parent may have been switched, but either one of these is gonna be fine.
Von
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Von »

Mystery Games are here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9a5A ... Gg0X0I1S1E

Good luck to everyone. Still 72 hours left to crap.
Von
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Von »

Reminder: Crap Tournament 9 will end tomorrow at 11:59 PM Eastern, precisely. No scores submitted after the deadline will be accepted.

Countdown: https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/g ... erif&csz=1

Edit: I originally posted the incorrect end time. Sorry for any confusion. No Crap Tournament is complete without a crappy tournament organizer.
Von
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Von »

Congratulations everyone, we did it! Another Crap successfully crapped.

This may have been the hottest crap yet, with 50 registrants and over 20 scoring players the competition this year was extra crappy. It was great seeing so many of my gaming pals and newcomers to the tournament like JasonV and RedStar go all in and get elbow deep in the toilet. But in the end it was Crap veteran Zerst who pulled off another win with a strong push at the finish.

Thank you everyone, you can go ice down your butt holes and relax... until next year, where we'll try and do something extra stinky for CT10.