Yolympics 2017

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Yolympics 2017

Post by xelnia »

Yolympics 2017 is right around the corner! It will run from January 28 through March 5. Register at tournaments.twingalaxies.com and start nominating games! Read on for the dates, rules and more info. I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season.

Quick Links
Tournament Registration
Banned Game List
Game Nomination Form (nomination period has ended)
Current Game Nominations
Final Game Voting (voting period has ended)
Final Game List
Team List
Game Settings

Team Forums
Spaceballs - Captain: QAOP Spaceman
Verizontal Mk. II - Captain: ExedExes
Infallible Team Generator v1.0 - Captain: pwnasaurus
Team Beef - Captain: dwwnp

Dates
Game Nominations: Now through December 31 (countdown timer)
Game Voting: January 1 - January 23, up until the start of the player draft
Player Registration: Now until January 21 (countdown timer)
Draft: January 23 (roughly 8:00 PM EST, hosted by CaptainJivePants and BackDoorFred. They'll be streaming all day, so come hang out!)
Tournament Start: January 28, 2017. 12:00 AM EST (countdown timer)
End of Week 1: February 3, 2017. 11:59 PM EST. (countdown timer)
End of Week 2: February 10, 2017. 11:59 PM EST. (countdown timer)
End of Week 3: February 17, 2017. 11:59 PM EST. (countdown timer)
End of Week 4: February 24, 2017. 11:59 PM EST. (countdown timer)
Tournament End: March 5, 2017. 11:59 PM EST. (countdown timer) This is a hard cutoff. All submissions must be received by this time.

Games
5 games each from the following range of dates for a total of 20 games:
1980-1984
1985-1989
1990-1994
1995-2000

Game Nominations and Voting
Players will nominate 1 game per time period, using this Google Form. Players will then vote on the nominations to decide the final game list. The tournament organizer reserves the right to veto shitty games. Don't pick shitty games.

Banned Games
Games played in last 2 years of Wolf tournaments: IGBY 2016, IGBY 2015, Yolympics 2016, Yolympics 2015, and Puzzle Madness. The full list is here.

Player Registration
Players must register at http://tournaments.twingalaxies.com/#/e ... s2017/main. The registration period is from now until January 21.

Rules
-Autofire is not allowed
-Pausing is not allowed
-Mapping multiple keys to a single input is not allowed
-All MAME submissions must maintain an average recorded speed over 95%
-All submissions must include an INP or link to a stream, video, or RetroUprising score. Acceptable platforms are WolfMAME 0.106, WolfMAME 0.181, RetroUprising, or an original arcade cab. Video-only WolfMAME submissions will be required to show the startup of the WolfMAME program and the game settings.

PLEASE BE SURE TO DISABLE NVRAM WHEN RECORDING INPS WITH 106 AND 181

Since this is MARP, I know you all know how to handle that, so I won't post the necessary steps like I did on other sites. :D

Scoring
The top 6 scores from each team will score points for that team. A bonus system was devised that would reward teams for submitting early and often with high quality scores, unfortunately it created a situation where a team could be potentially knocked out of the running after Week 1. Therefore, the bonus system has been canceled and the tournament will only be scored using the top 6 scores from each team.
Last edited by xelnia on Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:14 am, edited 15 times in total.
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: Yolympics 2017

Post by giro-X »

Thank you for this:
A bonus system is being devised that will reward teams for submitting early and often with high quality scores.
xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by xelnia »

I have added a list of Current Game Nominations for people to check so we avoid multiple nominations of the same game. It's already happened. My bad. #-o
xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by xelnia »

Only a few more days to nominate games! Get your picks in ASAP!
xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by xelnia »

Happy New Year! The game nomination period is now closed, and the voting period is open! Vote here, for up to 3 games per time period. Voting will end on January 23rd. Player registration is still open, so spread the word!
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Xelnia I have a question. Voting ends on 23rd and tournament starts on 28th. When we will know exactly which games won?
Or, rather, is it possible to look at the current results somehow if you voted already?
xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by xelnia »

giro-X wrote:Xelnia I have a question. Voting ends on 23rd and tournament starts on 28th. When we will know exactly which games won?
Or, rather, is it possible to look at the current results somehow if you voted already?
I hope to have the finalized list available within a day or two after voting ends, certainly before the tournament starts. This will give me some time to make sure the final games are acceptable, work in MAME, etc. You can see the current votes here.
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

I wish I could not have seen them. Oh lords...
thanks anyway :)
xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by xelnia »

5 days left to register and 7 days left to vote for games! Don't wait! If there is a tie in the game voting, there will be no tie-break votes. I will just pick a "winner" from among the tied games, with an emphasis on variety.
xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by xelnia »

Games have been selected and the draft is finished. We are officially read for Yolympics 2017! The start date is January 28th at midnight EST. The tournament site still needs to be updated to reflect this time, as well as the teams and games list...but January 28th is the correct date.

For now, please check the following links for team and game lists. TG subforums will be available shortly for each team. Good luck!

Team List
Game List
xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by xelnia »

TG threads have been created for each team and the links are below. You will need the password to access your respective forum, so contact your captain or myself for the password. If you're not sure which team you're on, check the Team List.

Spaceballs - Captain: QAOP Spaceman
Verizontal Mk. II - Captain: ExedExes
Infallible Team Generator v1.0 - Captain: pwnasaurus
Team Beef - Captain: dwwnp

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT RETROUPRISING

It has been reported that longer games have had problems when uploading/saving INPs at RU. Games under an hour/hour and a half seem to work fine, but longer games have had problems. Use RU at your own risk if playing any of these longer games (e.g. Commando).
xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by xelnia »

The OP has been updated with information regarding NVRAM and Bonus Scoring. Please read!
xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by xelnia »

Tournament starts in 8 hours! Good luck everyone!
xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by xelnia »

The tournament has started! Get those scores in early and good luck!
xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by xelnia »

OP updated with countdown timers for each week.