MARP hosting - UPDATE 2020-03-14

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: MARP hosting - UPDATE 2020-03-14

Post by Cicca »

MARP cannot die !!! Just to have an idea.....how much is the cost---?!
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

If no one else offers, I'll do it.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: MARP hosting

Post by Weehawk »

seymour wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:13 am Another heads up...

The current MARP hosting expires on 2020-04-18, after the current 5-year plan. I have no idea if there is any interest in extending this by anyone, I haven't contacted anybody yet. Many thanks to the previous help on extending the life of the site!

In addition to my first daughter (now 5), I now also have a 3 year old son :) I've actually gotten them interested in playing a little bit of MAME lately, even if they aren't any good at it. They still mostly have fun. Financially, I don't have the resources to help out anymore (for 2 obvious reasons), but I'd rather not see the site die either.

Comments, suggestions, conversations, questions, etc welcomed!
I don't mind paying for it. Is that the only issue?
John Cunningham (JTC)
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

sikraiken wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:59 pm If no one else offers, I'll do it.
I was actually considering to pay for it...at least a slice....glad to see we're 3 for now to contribute.... :wink:
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

Thankyou guys, I wrote a PM to Seymour few days ago, offering to take over, or at least contribute, but PM is still in Outbox :(
My team and I are willing to contribute too.
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

Better contact him via email....does anyone know it...?!
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

Apologies guys, emails from the forums here seem to get lost in my spam folders at best and I didn't see that I had a PM or replies to this post.

And yes Weehawk, the main issue is just cost of maintaining the site. Though I should be more diligent about keeping the software updated as well.

* checks panel for how much the current plan is... *
Screenshot_20200329_230059.png
Screenshot_20200329_230059.png (47.54 KiB) Viewed 22080 times
So the last renewal was for $417 for 5 years, working out to be $6.95 per month.

Also, I hope everybody is staying as safe as they can during this pandemic!

For future reference, I can always be reached by email at chris@gushue.ca or cgushue@gmail.com if needed.
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

The last time a third party had paid for the hosting, there was something in place to easily donate directly towards hosting costs on Dreamhost. I can't find where that is at the moment but I'm sure it's there somewhere.
Chris Gushue
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

seymour wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:13 pm The last time a third party had paid for the hosting, there was something in place to easily donate directly towards hosting costs on Dreamhost. I can't find where that is at the moment but I'm sure it's there somewhere.
Seems it at one time was linked directly from the Dreamhost control panel, but was taken off at some point. The thread linked below gives a URL that may still work:

https://discussion.dreamhost.com/t/do-h ... work/61706
John Cunningham (JTC)
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

Weehawk wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:45 am
seymour wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:13 pm The last time a third party had paid for the hosting, there was something in place to easily donate directly towards hosting costs on Dreamhost. I can't find where that is at the moment but I'm sure it's there somewhere.
Seems it at one time was linked directly from the Dreamhost control panel, but was taken off at some point. The thread linked below gives a URL that may still work:

https://discussion.dreamhost.com/t/do-h ... work/61706
Thanks - I couldn't find it on the site, but I actually did find the donation link in some previously used HTML I had backed up. A bit worrisome about how a possible chargeback could affect things, but here's that link: https://www.dreamhost.com/donate.cgi?id=1263

That might not actually be how it was paid last time, I think I had set up the person's Dreamhost account with access to the billing part of the hosting? So now that I think about it... to be honest, I don't even know if it's an issue? I don't remember if it was public who had paid so I don't want to post it here, but they could feel free to email or PM me about it :)

Of course, don't let that stop anybody that does wish to donate towards costs of the site. I may not have been active for years here, but I used to be and I still appreciate that all of you still are! There's something special about emulating and archiving (and having friendly competition!) these older games IMO.
Chris Gushue
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

seymour wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:33 am Thanks - I couldn't find it on the site, but I actually did find the donation link in some previously used HTML I had backed up. A bit worrisome about how a possible chargeback could affect things, but here's that link: https://www.dreamhost.com/donate.cgi?id=1263
I put up $217. I personally think that TK2012 and saulonpb should be forced to split the other $200 to be allowed to continue using the site, but in any case, if other members don't pay the rest by April 18, I will.
John Cunningham (JTC)
ZID
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by ZID »

I'm glad to see that MARP will continue online
seymour wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:06 pm Here's some stats from the marp sites:

Disk Usage:

Code: Select all

19.28 GB replay.marpirc.net
MySQL Usage:
196 MB disk usage, cycle estimate of Conueries 8.72 MCn

Any other information you're curious about, please let me know.
I would like to know how many RAM and CPU resources MARP normally consumes
Last edited by ZID on Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

Weehawk wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:49 pm I put up $217. I personally think that TK2012 and saulonpb should be forced to split the other $200 to be allowed to continue using the site, but in any case, if other members don't pay the rest by April 18, I will.
Thankyou Weehawk, =D>
I just now put up other $200, by me, essekappa, giro-x, Agodzilla and the rest of our team.
Now the 5-years plan is fully covered!
Live long and prosper, MARP.
Last edited by RAX on Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

Please Seymour give us a feedback soon when the renewal is done, we still have some days to correct possible problems
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

Glad to hear MARP is not going to die....at least for a few more years....Thanks to everybody.... =D>