Useless statistic

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Useless statistic

Post by Barthax »

On the 17th December 2014 I decided to see what kind of numbers remain outstanding. Of the 54428 INPs*, some 13026 remained unconfirmed.

I've been working from eldest INP forward, trying to verify ROM sets+clones at a time and have polished off MAMEs 0.30-0.33b7 (either confirmed or posted to the forum where failed). I'm currently at the 's' range of 0.33rc1 and of the 54438 INPs* some 12751 remain unconfirmed.

* It may seem only 10 INPs have been uploaded in that time but remember that if a player surpasses their own score it replaces their previous and the overall total remains the same. An alternative & quick likely reason is that I have a statistic incorrect. ;)
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: Useless statistic

Post by giro-X »

I'm such a curios, and would like to ask how the hell on earth did you discover how many the INPs are, total and unconfirmed. Surprise me 8O
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

the search link/tool on marp is probably the way to get these numbers, you just have to be patient, know the right checkboxes to click, and have a lot of browser/cache memory to hold a huge search result page. I'm not sure I see anything wrong with those numbers, most have been confirmed, some unconfirmed, what is so unusual?
-skito
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Ah no, never said or thought they were unusual or weird. I just wanted to know the procedure to calculate exactly the total, and I feel a bit stupid now that I understand it's easier than I expected :D
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

np, always good to learn, but never know, maybe barthax has another way. I also was speaking to barthax's comment why he suspects his statistics are not correct.
-skito
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

Yeah, I was just using the search tool for unconfirmed with a little patience as described. :) Then save the content as an HTML page and use a grep tool to figure out the number of lines of table. The search tool gives the total the number of INPs in the DB matching the query every time (filtration occurring afterwards) so the two numbers can be gleaned from one search.

@Chad: I check the Upload list and was surprised by the number of uploads vs. the difference in the figures from above. For some reason, a large number of players updating their PBs surprises me. :)

Update after today's forum catch-up: of the 54461 some 12750 are unconfirmed.
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

Useless stat near the end of Jan: of the 54564 INPs active some 12429 remain unconfirmed.
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

Useless statistic mid-May: of the 55041 INPs available some 11756 are unconfirmed. Nearly down to 20%. ;)
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

1 Year anniversary (just by chance: I didn't plan it!): of the 56188 INPs, 11864 are unconfirmed.

In terms of verifications, although I'm not creating threads at this time in playbackability, I am continuing the upward process from MAME 0.30, checking for unconfirmed INPs in particular versions and spawn to each game, verifying whole game where possible. Currently on 0.36b2 - four INPs weren't immediately obvious how to get them to playback, so skipped and one with a query (edited). futspy next. :)
GJTMarper
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by GJTMarper »

Just out of curiosity Barthax, what do you use to run the very old versions of MAME to verify those playbacks? Do they run natively in a modern version of Windows, or do you need something like DosBox for them? What about INPs recorded in an old Mac version of MAME?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I think he uses DOSBox, although MAME could also be used to run old MAME, albeit at a rather slower pace. MAME, of course, has the advantage of being able to run old versions of Windows (up to WinMe/Win2K), Linux (any kernel up to 2.4.x), and MacOS (certainly up to System 7) ;)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

I use DOS Box for the old ones running inside a Windows XP virtual machine (easy to snapshot long-running INPs without starting over, continuing on another day entirely). However, there are Windows varieties (MAME32) for many of them too. :)

Some Mac INPs work with the Windows variety but otherwise, I have access to a Mac Mini (still haven't got around to it) and run Linux natively myself (still haven't got around to old XMAMEs but there's only two people, I think, that submitted without such old versions & I'm one of them!).
xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by xelnia »

Barthax wrote:Some Mac INPs work with the Windows variety but otherwise, I have access to a Mac Mini (still haven't got around to it) and run Linux natively myself (still haven't got around to old XMAMEs but there's only two people, I think, that submitted without such old versions & I'm one of them!).
Any tips on how to (easily) watch a MacMAME 60 INP on a Windows 8 machine? :) I've tried a few times to get this Donkey Kong 3 INP to play back using MAME 60 and monkeying with the original INP, but it's clearly beyond my tech know-how:

http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/3/c/3/tgn ... mame60.zip

It's already a confirmed score; I just want to watch it.

I should also say: thank you for all the hard work you're doing with these confirmations.
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

xelnia wrote:
Barthax wrote:Some Mac INPs work with the Windows variety but otherwise, I have access to a Mac Mini (still haven't got around to it) and run Linux natively myself (still haven't got around to old XMAMEs but there's only two people, I think, that submitted without such old versions & I'm one of them!).
Any tips on how to (easily) watch a MacMAME 60 INP on a Windows 8 machine? :) I've tried a few times to get this Donkey Kong 3 INP to play back using MAME 60 and monkeying with the original INP, but it's clearly beyond my tech know-how:

http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/3/c/3/tgn ... mame60.zip

It's already a confirmed score; I just want to watch it.

I should also say: thank you for all the hard work you're doing with these confirmations.
There's not a lot to do: it either works or it doesn't. I know someone (Chad?) once tried a "converter" to smooth things out but I didn't know about it back then & doubt it still exists.

No problem (but don't forget to distribute the thanks around :wink: ).