inpview

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Fordy
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: inpview

Post by Fordy »

Kernzy
Have you just tried copying the inp from the zip file into your inp folder? That's all I do and it seems to work. Also did you ever get that EmuLoader working??
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

hey Fordy,
i got your last message, but i have had no time to mess around with it. when i do, i will get back to you.
i will try your method tonight!
cheers mate!
paul. :D
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

CHECK THIS VID I MADE!! http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?v ... 3xAHQ&ns=1

BLOODY HELL !!!!!

So, all i did was double click the zipped folder, copy the contents into the inp folder, and it worked no problem.
so to re-cap, for the last few months i have been typing in "mame <gamename> -playback <inpname> <playername> <player score> <mame used> <pc hardware> <date of birth> <credit history> <sexual orientation> <favourite colour>, sometimes with extensions, sometimes without, sometimes starting with mame, othertimes with tgmame67, once with alphamamame, sometimes with extensions, sometimes without, i've sometimes renamed files, trawled through endless forums and got not many things to work, then Fordy says "just copy and paste it", and it worked first time. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
that is priceless.!! :D #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o
now i have only tried one so far, and i believe my pc has a problem somewhere, since the last few wolf106 inp's i watched ended at about 10% of the advertised score, so i won't start sucking my own doo dar just yet!! :lol:

cheers everyone!!!!
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

oh yeah, if you were all wondering, i included the .exe and .inp extensions. whatever that means...!!! :lol:
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

ok, so i tried 5 more inp's using this method.
only one of them worked!!!! #-o
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Why don't you use the supplied playback.bat?

playback <game shortname> <inp filename (no extension)> [<any extra options you want>]
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

kernzy wrote: i included the .exe and .inp extensions.
do not do that
goto start menu hit run then browse search for mame exe. file , double click the run box will display the parameters for loading execute files
remove the .exe from mame and insert <game name>
leave a space in between
add...
-playback -----.inp
-record------.inp
hit enter or click on ok.
p.s. make sure input files are unzipped & in the appropriate folder
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

One more thing to note: Prior to 0.125, MAME does not expect the .inp extension, it will add it on its own. For 0.125 and later, you must include the .inp extension to -record or -playback.

record.bat and playback.bat will not expect the .inp extension. Versions included with WolfMAME 0.125 or later will add it for you.

It also helps if you tell Windows to display file extensions, this tends to be disabled by default.
- Barry Rodewald
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

this is all nuts again!!!

Barry: "why not use the supplied bat.phone?"
Tar: "don't do that! use this third different method" !!

ok, guys, so far this evening i have attempted to watch 5 inp's.
Tars method did not work.
Barry's method did not work.
the method i used successfully last night did not work. wtf?
my own mspacman 60,000 game only played back to 900 points. i just managed to watch simpsons99 "msheartb" using yesterdays method including extensions. worked first time. i tried all the other inp's using this same method and none of them worked. and without extensions, did not work either. the inp i watched yesterday was an invader's clone of Tar's. everything else i tried to watch did not work. the last inp i failed to watch today was bbh's bjtwin. did not work using any method.
it seems that only a few inp's are able to be watched like this, so far about 10% of the ones i tried.
it also seems that extracting or copying the inp from zipped folder gives them 2 different consequences.

my question: do you guys honestly use the exact same commands every time you watch an inp, regardless of mame version?
cheers fella's! :D
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

ok, i am experimenting... i think this is the best thing to try.
i just done a quick recording on 147.
"record <game short name> <game short name>"
immediately after i typed in "playback <game short name> <game short name>". played fine.
then i tried "mame.exe <game short name> -playback <game short name.inp>". played fine.
tried this same instruction and removed extensions, did not work!!
so it works, no problem.
then i sent it to compressed folder, and deleted original inp file, as it is still there.
then i extracted the inp file, and tried all 3 of the above to play it back. none of them worked.
then i deleted that new extracted file, and then double clicked the zip file, "copied" the inp and pasted into same inp folder. (like Fordy suggested)
so i typed in "playback <game short name> <game short name>". played fine.
"mame.exe <game short name> -playback <game short name.inp>". played fine.
"mame <game short name> -playback <game short name>". did not work.
ok, now i'm gonna download a new inp to try all 3 methods on....
i got hold on Tar's "invmulti-lr" file.
"mame.exe <game short name> -playback <game short name.inp>". played fine.
"playback <game short name> <game short name>". played fine.
"mame <game short name> -playback <game short name>". did not work.
so again, works ok.
next i downloaded simpsons99 "bjtwina".
does not work using any method.
do you think the different methods of recording makes an issue with different playbacks?

if you don't know enough, mixed instructions drives you crazy. i think every guy on here who has helped me has given a different method to try, some give more than one, and it seems they are tailored to specific mames or rom versions. Tar knows what he's doing, and his instructions don't work at all for me.
it's madness i tell thee...
:D #-o
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

kernzy wrote:do you think the different methods of recording makes an issue with different playbacks?
If the game in question uses either NVRAM (anything in the nvram folder) or CHD difference files (.dif files in the diff folder), then probably not.

Recordings must be done without any NVRAM or .dif files present, for consistency of playback. Also, remove hiscore.dat, if that is present, although this shouldn't be a issue for more recent MAME versions.

record.bat and playback.bat will move/rename .dif files, and sets the NVRAM folder to NUL (NUL = big black hole for things to disappear into) for you.
- Barry Rodewald
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

cheers for that Barry.
well lets see if we can progress a bit.
lets take BBH's bjtwin game. http://replay.marpirc.net/r/bjtwinp
he knows what he's doing. obviously he records many verified games. he used 147 which obviously has the bat. files you mention.
why can i not play it back?
i tried all methods. the screen goes black for 1 second, then returns...
ho hum...! :-" :-" :-"
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

ok, scrap all that, i cannot even get any bjtwin or clone to even play a game of on 147, which is a bigger problem!
it says required files are missing.
weird.... :(
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

so, is inpview not available for wolf106, then? :(
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Yes, it is. -inpview/-iv <player> eg: -iv 1 will display player 1's inputs.
- Barry Rodewald