What games are you currently working on?

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

What games are you currently working on?

Post by The TJT »

This thread is for telling us what games you are currently playing and what are your goals for the game. Going to break a record? Or just talk about the game in general and how frustrating/great it is...

Or why not tell us that you have found a great "new" game... since I think many of us have dropped the habit of testing new games added to MAME. I for one have no idea if there are some jewels recently added/fixed to MAME...

Also, would be nice if everybody would post a link to MARP records on the game they're talking about, so we'd know what kind of scores there are currently and by whom...
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: What games are you currently working on?

Post by The TJT »

Let me begin...

Currently working on Track&Field marathon. My goal is to get 5 million points. Or maybe 10...but that's a long session and my fingers should get first very fast and the rhythm for 6-finger technique should be there a little better imo. It's like getting ready for marathon...so to speak.

Yesterday I scored 3 million points, which took over 4 hours... and damn quit the game there, just like that. Today I can feel it in my fingers. My technique is very taxing for the fingers so should be well rested before next attempt... Maybe you joystick people have slight advantage there?

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/trackfld-m

---

Another game I think I'll play a little in near future and try to take some additional MARP 1st places is Atari's Firefox. And I'm going to play it using simply mouse and keyboard, so no fancy world record aspirations there... I just like the game and want to learn a bit about it. I always thought it was the coolest laserdisk game, and which I never got to learn well, although I used to play much more Dragon's Lair, Space Ace and Mach3 - they were more "hip".

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/(firefox-ea ... efoxa-mod)
ZID
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by ZID »

In this moment I'm playing Hot Chase and I'm learn and practique the patterns for make a new World Record. I hope do a better coming soon. :D

Then I want to learn to play Hard Head 2, Demon's World / Horror Story, and other racing games.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Cool. Can't say that I recall that game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2AbJy_H ... re=related
ZID
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by ZID »

I played Hot Chase 20 years ago. It brings back good memories.

Hot Chase is a videogame with many secrets. You can finish the game without errors and get a very poor score. For get a good score, you must do more things. Is very interesting
ballas
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by ballas »

Currently playing:
Diet Go Go - Would like to get 3.55mil which I almost did the other day but screwed up the last stage.
Shinobi - Just having fun.
Wardner - Going for 1st place soon at TG as the rules are different.
Pang Poms - Would like to score 5mil + on this title.
Vs.Battle City - Trying to reach 500k.
KVD
Koos van Dyk
Johannesburg
SOUTH AFRICA
ZID
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by ZID »

ballas wrote:Currently playing:
Shinobi - Just having fun.
In Retrovicio (Spanish forum) people is playing Shinobi for a competition. Maybe you want to partecipate :)
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Actually playing Jumping Break (jmpbreak).
I've managed more than 630k, but I still go on playing as I want something beating stage 30 boss.

Also one day I will be back to Uopoko to try WR, and to the Puzzle Bobble serie
ZID
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by ZID »

Yeah! New World Record!

Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

With a faulty version ... :roll:

(i.e. all scores with a version prior to 0.143 must be nuked, go figure)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

That's a shame... but yeah it does look like it runs quite slow in older versions. Sorry guys :(

As for me, outside of MARP I've been having an offline score battle with another player on Vs. Super Mario Bros at a local arcade here called Envisions Classic Arcade. Naturally I started playing the game in MAME for the extra practice and decided I may as well start recording some runs for here while I was at it. I managed to beat WEDNESDAY's old score a couple weeks ago which was cool. Unfortunately I died twice in that run, a no-death run still eludes me.

My best run on any of the suprmrio romsets was 1 death on a clone called Skate Kid Bros. It's actually a really hilarious graphic hack of the game that I actually do remember playing at a pizza place back in the early 90's. Mario gets replaced by a kid on a skateboard, who turns into his "big brother" when he picks up a big red quarter (magic mushroom). There's all these other weird changes too like the goombas are mini tanks, and Bowser is a football player. If you're familiar with SMB (and who isn't), give it a watch sometime if you want a good laugh!

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/skatekds

Of course there are a couple people who apparently have higher scores on Vs. Super Mario Bros... but will probably never make their inps public for a place like MARP. Such a pity.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Been playing a few classic PC MS-DOS games lately. Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Descent, Jazz Jackrabbit, mostly, all running in MESS. ;)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
ballas
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by ballas »

While you on some classic PC titles there give Budokan a go... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq4UdRigaAY
KVD
Koos van Dyk
Johannesburg
SOUTH AFRICA
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

BBH wrote:
As for me, outside of MARP I've been having an offline score battle with another player on Vs. Super Mario Bros at a local arcade here called Envisions Classic Arcade.
"All ages welcome.

CHEAPEST BEER IN TOWN"

:D
Naturally I started playing the game in MAME for the extra practice and decided I may as well start recording some runs for here while I was at it. I managed to beat WEDNESDAY's old score a couple weeks ago which was cool. Unfortunately I died twice in that run, a no-death run still eludes me.
You'll get there. There was this guy at my local arcade bitd who did use to finish the game with no miss. He run through the levels, always going full speed so that's probably the best tactic, if not leeching that is.
Congrats for MARP record.
ZID
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by ZID »

BBH wrote: As for me, outside of MARP I've been having an offline score battle with another player on Vs. Super Mario Bros at a local arcade here called Envisions Classic Arcade.
Wow, It's cool! I envy you :D
BBH wrote:That's a shame... but yeah it does look like it runs quite slow in older versions. Sorry guys :(
Dont' worry. I like this game and I wanted to play well. I have played Hot chase in wolfmame 144 and speed is better that 106. For me it is a gift to play the game at best speed. I enjoy much more :)
Last edited by ZID on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.