Reviving MARP forums

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Reviving MARP forums

Post by The TJT »

It appears that MARP forums is dying a slow death... why is that... people have moved to classicarcadegaming forum /TG etc?

Still there are plenty of submissions at MARP itself. Why are they not discussed here? Any ideas what we can do about it? Has everything been discussed already? Do we know everything about these games now? :)

Perhaps first we have to recognize that there's nothing wrong with bragging/discussing about your scores, right?
Just make a topic about your scores and what you're currently working on.

Any suggestions on reviving MARP forum?
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Re: Reviving MARP forums

Post by Chad »

I think it will die. I don't want it to but i think there's too many new things to draw people away. I would like to think of a good idea to keep it alive and kicking, but we are all getting older and it just seems that the people that love arcade games will eventually die, maybe teach a few of their kids to apreciate arcade games and then the kids will be interested in something else and it will all be forgotten : (
-skito
ZID
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by ZID »

I think that we are the last real arcade generation.
Maybe will appears anothers generations that will see the arcade world how an old art (videogames of S. XX)
Last edited by ZID on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Do I have to bring back the Stupid Poll(tm) now? ;)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
zlk
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by zlk »

There was a long period of time where the instant I visited these forums, I was redirected to a virus site. That is why I stopped posting here for a while.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

so the good news is no more virus? I never experienced that virus maybe because I don't use flash, I wonder how many people were turned away because of it.
-skito
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

yeah the virus thing was a problem... for people who don't want to use a secure browser + adblock, for whatever reason.

The other problem with these forums unfortunately is the spambots - because of the large number of them registering, new user registration is not automatically enabled so it makes it harder for us to get new people posting since they have to find another way to make sure mahlemiut approves them. Don't know if there is any forum software solution for ever getting around that :\

I'm definitely all for more traffic and general posting about games, of course.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

What's up with my login not keeping "in memory"?

I check "Log me on automatically each visit" - but it still doesn't work. The form remembers my username and password but I still have to click login...

---

Chad, I hope what you say is not true. It could be and it certainly looks like that atm. But still there are classic packs sold for consoles etc. Maybe there's a bit of treshold with getting MAME up and running...DOS/Roms/directories/parent-clone etc.

And of course a classic game is not that great if you don't have good controls and don't know what kind of controls the original games had.
Not to mention that a n00b doesn't know what the good games are from hundreds of games that MAME emulates - he can't just walk in arcade and see them there.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

I stopped visiting the forums because of the virus issues and also because I've been using most of my free time to learn new development tools like Xcode and VS2010.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
ZID
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by ZID »

I haven't problem with virus because I surf with my Wii :mrgreen:
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

You were pretty much safe from it so long as you didn't use IE. Probably just goes to show how many people still use IE...
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

According to the number of answers to this post, it looks like the board isn't totally dead :)
Chad wrote: maybe teach a few of their kids to apreciate arcade games
My twins are now almost 9 years old, at this point they sometimes only looked me while playing, but last month I allow them to try the one I'm playing actually (jmpbreak), and guess what : they are found of the game, and they have good skill at it (expect some 300k submissions from them --with my technical help-- soon)
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Phil Lamat wrote:According to the number of answers to this post, it looks like the board isn't totally dead :)
Chad wrote: maybe teach a few of their kids to apreciate arcade games
My twins are now almost 9 years old, at this point they sometimes only looked me while playing, but last month I allow them to try the one I'm playing actually (jmpbreak), and guess what : they are found of the game, and they have good skill at it (expect some 300k submissions from them --with my technical help-- soon)
Here we are :
http://replay.marpirc.net/r/jmpbreak
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

congratulations, that's my dream, to wish that my future kids will submit to marp.
-skito