Axis flipping...how?

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

welby1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Axis flipping...how?

Post by welby1 »

I was looking in the controller options and couldn't find an option(that wasn't 'grayed out') to change. Specifically, I want to know how to flip the y-axis on my mouse for a couple of games; being able to flip the x-axis would be 'ok', but I'd have to use the mouse upside down. I'm working with mame32/gui version. Thanks
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

"Analog Controls" during game after hit TAB?
welby1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by welby1 »

Tab= no effect, though it used to allow access to dip settings etc.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Open mouse and change wires :D

Seriously:
What games? Example please.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Turn the monitor upside-down?
Ok, old one.

First you have to enable mouse:
At wolf101: rightclick gamename, properties-controls-enable mouse input
At wolf112: mame starwars -mouse

When in mame, tab-"analog controls"-"track Y reverse" to "on"

That's it.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

P.S. If "tab" does not bring a menu, your tab key might not be functioning properly...or you have screwed MAME general settings and some other/no key is assigned to menu function...this problem goes away when you go to "cfg" -directory and delete "default.cfg"-file and start MAME.
:wink:
welby1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by welby1 »

Giving some play on Star Wars, but the control sucks. I just picked up a yoke control from a stun runner and will attempt the dualstrike conversion. I started earlier tonight, but was foiled by my broken soldering gun :evil: I've got a pencil somewhere, but I may just have to get another. I hadn't considered the mouse wires...too simple?
If I get this hack to work, expect the scores to rise on all the SW series.
Thanks
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

STAR WARS

Post by The TJT »

How good are you on Star Wars, at arcade game?
I can tell you that playing it on mame is not as easy as at arcade. Mame runs faster, and Dual Strike-yoke hack is close to original controls, yet not 100%

I have a Dual Strike hack already. So far only submitted Star Wars series for me is ESB. (starwars, esb, jedi). So you *are* going to get some competition! :)

Can I suggest something...Submit starwars parent rom on TGTS(hardest, 6+0) and clone rom on TGMS(hardest, 6+1). OK?

(You must go to service mode to change settings for the game)

That's what I've been planning to do, for quite a long time already. I just have played the game too unfrequently(but still quite many hours) for getting satisfying scores enough for submission. I'm still learning the game, I never was any good at it in the arcade.

Also I can beat MARP firsts with ease on Stun Runner, but game has playback problems. After few levels playback always desyncs. Hence no submissions on the title from my part.

Jedi I haven't played for some time. Controls and emulation work fine for the game. It's a toughie game though.
welby1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by welby1 »

My best at TGTS(6+0) is around 16.9mil, but my most current 'official'/verified score with TG is 5.1mil, played at the funspot contest. I just sold my SW/ESB upright to David Palmer, who holds the TGTS records on SW, ESB and ROTJ, so I need a fix. My best on that machine was under 9mil SW and 600k on ESB. I still own a ROTJ cockpit(pictured on KLOV and for sale, btw) with my best score being about 700k.

I used to be able to access the dip settings etc with the tab key, but it does nothing at all now. I've only been trying this on wolfmameplus101, so I don't know if its just that version where this happens. Deleting config file also had no effect on the tab either.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Just to be sure, it was default.cfg that you deleted? Also, try a fresh install in a separate folder.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
welby1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by welby1 »

Doh! I only deleted starwars config and not the 'default' as was suggested..this did bring the menu up with tab now. This also allowed me to do the flipping I wanted...now to test.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Nice, sounds like we might have some competition on these 3 titles. I need to get back to SW practice or my ass will be grass even before my first submission. 16M on TGTS(6+0), hell, that's good!!!

SW and ESB should be way tougher on MAME though. Especially on latest versions.
ROTJ(jedi.zip) scores must have been done with more men than TG claims IMO.
700k I will definitely beat though! :)
welby1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by welby1 »

ROTJ doesn't allow for more than 3 starting, or any difficulty settings beyond the in game choice of starting waves. I didn't find any mame scores on TG, but did notice that David Palmer isn't even listed for it any longer under arcade. If you just cruise along the right side, all you have to do is dodge, but I prefer to go for the bonuses/tricks. My daughter(now 10) can get around 500k starting from wave 1.

Star Wars was actually the first game I 'played' in MAME and what got me back into arcade games. If I can get this hack done, I'll probably do a 3-5mil TGTS, as I can only stand to play it for a short time before pain sets in too much.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

welby1 wrote:ROTJ doesn't allow for more than 3 starting, or any difficulty settings beyond the in game choice of starting waves. I didn't find any mame scores on TG, but did notice that David Palmer isn't even listed for it any longer under arcade.
I think you are mistaken and Palmer never had record for the game. He does hold SW TGTS and ESB records though.

I guess we'll have to play JEDI on mame default settings, which are easy and 3men to start with...same as TG settings listed. That is untill TG realizes TG arcade records achieved are not done on that setting. Only way to make them see that is to submit a finished game, even then it's hard to tell which settings were used. I'm quite certain TG arcade records had different amount of men.

You do change settings for ALL 3 games of the "series" by hitting tab, dip switch settings, SERVICE MODE - ON, advance by pressing 9, use controls to change settings.

Notice that at SW and ESB...hitting Tab, dip switch settings, and changing settings there does NOT change settings...you have to enter "service mode" to change settings.

I guess you are ok with playing SW parent rom on TGTS(hardest, 6+0).
I was thinking for the clone-set that I would use TGMS, but playing 100 waves maximum(If I ever get there...). That way clone romset would be a test of how effective one is with the ways of the force and shooting tower tops. That would be "force romset".
If you just cruise along the right side, all you have to do is dodge, but I prefer to go for the bonuses/tricks. My daughter(now 10) can get around 500k starting from wave 1.
There is another.......Sky....walker...
Star Wars was actually the first game I 'played' in MAME and what got me back into arcade games. If I can get this hack done, I'll probably do a 3-5mil TGTS, as I can only stand to play it for a short time before pain sets in too much.
Ok, I'll start practicing again today. Good luck, tell me when you get hack working. You can PM me if you need help.
welby1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by welby1 »

I was wrong about Palmer; he didn't like ROTJ. MDA says it was Sullivan, but he(MDA) thinks the scores were done on 3 lives and easy. The manual I have does show default settings to be: 5lives, 40k extra and medium difficulty. I've got my game set on medium 30k extra and 3lives to start. MAME menu doesn't allow dips to be changed and 3lives starting; not sure on the others.

MDA of CAGDC is having a contest at the end of march, and star wars is in the contest. I'm trying to work out my schedule to go; no thanks to the tax man. The contest will be held in Reading, PA, so if anyone here is close enough, come and play...$$prizes. I'll make a new thread about the contest with some links soon.