It's about the high score of Metal Slug 3

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

tk2007
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by tk2007 »

I just got it 2.873.800 ](*,)

Is this winkawaks1.46 an emu like mame? What is the difference with mame and why u played it there?
Is the rom file same for both emus?
No use replay,I hate no hurt RCP inp from now on!@!
RCP inp=cheat
What does this means?
EMULATE DECATHLETE NOW!!!
tk2007
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by tk2007 »

destructor wrote: I'm sure you can learn how to play on keyboard (shmup games are exception and some other too). Beatem'up games are not hard on keyboard like Metal Slug, Shinobi, Knights of the Round ... You can still buy Arcade Stick.
U can't do great things just with the keyboard. You can play games like Phoenix or Galaga but for more directions u need a joy, I have this one
With that u can play easily games like Metal Slug or Tetris but for Pacman u need something better.
The major point with joysticks and the difference with coin-op ones is to stick/screw them on desk in order to be stable. Do u know or does any1 has such joy?
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

For Pacman best is keyboard - fast reaction.
tk2007
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by tk2007 »

We r talking about control, reaction has nothing to do.

Its impossible to make a top record in pacman without a good joystick. With keyboard the more u can do is about 150.000 I think(my score in ms pacman is 500.000) U have to do many and fast manoeuvres in the high levels and u cant do them with keys. Besides, its more comfortable with a joy than with 4 or more keys.
I dont think theres any player in the world who prefers keys instead of joystick.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

tk2007 wrote:u cant do them with keys.
Can. More practice is required.

Otherwise playing on AS is more comfortable but not always with result better than on keyboard.

Never say word "impossible". :)
Chufoglu
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Chufoglu »

I prefer keyboard in games like Gauntlet and Toobin (original Toobin is not with stick). In fighting games like Street Fighter II is impossible to play with keybord, but in many other games is best
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

I strongly prefer the keyboard to a joystick on Frogger, Speed Coin, Scramble and Super Cobra, and have a slight preference for keyboard on a lot of others.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

tk2007 wrote:The major point with joysticks and the difference with coin-op ones is to stick/screw them on desk in order to be stable. Do u know or does any1 has such joy?
The HotRodSE, apart from the buttons being slightly too far apart making games like Gunsmoke painful on the fingers, makes a good joystick from the point of view of not moving when you're playing games because it is so heavy. http://www.hanaho.com/Products/HotRodJoystick.php
tk2007 wrote:I dont think theres any player in the world who prefers keys instead of joystick.
You think wrong, and as others have said it depends on the game. For example, to me Gyruss is much easier to play with keys as I never have the game move the wrong way with keys as I never accidentally move the keys to 180º opposite to where I am currently and have the game choose to rotate in the wrong direction. Also, games like Frogger and indeed most 4 way games such as Pacman are also easier for me with keys than with an 8-way joystick..... and I can't be bothered opening my HotRod up to make the jostick 4-way as I use it mostly for 8-way games.
tk2007
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by tk2007 »

This joy is too large. Main problem remains: How do u stick it on desk? with glue?

Have u ever seen any arcade (coin-op) which had/have buttons instead of joy? Of course no.

When u say pacman, which one do u mean, boys? And what score?
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

tk2007 wrote:Its impossible to make a top record in pacman without a good joystick. With keyboard the more u can do is about 150.000 I think
Neil Chapman had a confirmed score on MARP of 379,170 played with the keyboard. Although he agreed it was harder with a keyboard.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

tk2007 wrote:This joy is too large. Main problem remains: How do u stick it on desk? with glue?
As I said originally, there is no need to stick it onto the desk. Because of it's size and weight it simply stays where you put it even when playing say Robotron and really getting into it on both joysticks. You would also not want it to be any smaller when playing two player co-operative games.

tk2007 wrote:Have u ever seen any arcade (coin-op) which had/have buttons instead of joy? Of course no.
Actually yes. A number of the arcades I visited used only buttons on Space Invaders and Galaxians machines. There were also some Defender units that used buttons for Up/Down instead of a joystick. I'm presuming this was done for cost saving reasons. There were also no Joysticks on any of the T&F machines I played on either.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

tk2007 wrote:When u say pacman, which one do u mean, boys? And what score?
All of them, and I don't particularly like the game so I've never bothered to learn patterns for all the levels. However, I grew up playing Pacman style games with a keyboard on computers, so it seems quite natural to not use a joystick. When I do play, I find it much easier with the keyboard than with a joystick and tend to get better scores with the keyboard.

It's also worth noting that I use two hands, not one hand, which also helps and use my left hand for the up/down directions and my right hand for the left/right directions.

Other games that also play well with keyboard are: Hopper Robo, Pon Poko, Springer..... especially Springer where it is all too easy to accidentally move slightly down when going left/right with the keyboard and before you know it you've fallen off the platform instead of walking across it, or slightly up and then inadvertently jumped.

I also like being able to play some of my old favourite C=64 and Amiga games that were a pain with a joystick but are oh so much easier with a keyboard.

Of course, it also helps having played a little bit of piano and being able to touch type on either Qwerty or Dvorak keyboards..... it all adds up to increased dexterity with using fingers on keys. :)
tk2007
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by tk2007 »

Zhorik, Ι m not sure for which pacman u r talking about, if u talk for the very first one, I cant find it on the boards!
Didnt play it because when came up I was too young. It has just one stage so I bet is easy even with keys, if u learn and play the same system. But u cant go high with keys in ms pacman.

BeeJay, I know that first arcades like Space Invanders or Phoenix (about 1979-80) had only buttons. Also they had color tapes to make the screen look like a color one :P
BeeJay, if u confess that u have no idea about the high levels of ALL pacmans then u cannot judge if is easy/better to use buttons.

For any case that I use keys-the cursor keys- for mame or any other pc game, I use only ONE hand. If some1 needs 2 hands, this sounds too strange to me.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

tk2007 wrote:Main problem remains: How do u stick it on desk? with glue?
Do you move whole stick or joystick only? :) I move joystick only using small strenght.
Only one from my Arcade Sticks require more strenght to move - AS with Perfect 360 joystick - because spring in this joystick is very hard. But it is still my best AS for shmups games. Weight this AS is not small and I have no problem with moving whole stick on desk.
Currently I place AS on knees then no problem with desk :P
tk2007
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by tk2007 »

U use the right hand to control the joy and the left hand to hold down the whole unit/chassis, right?...

( PS. Whats this?: "TG wins: Deca2004" )