MARP Election 2006 - Call for Nominations

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

It's time to nominate coordinators for 2007. Since we're actually doing the election on time this year, we'll use the timelines specified in the MARP Rules.

Please submit nominations for the following positions:

Regulation Coordinator
- Must maintain the regulation rules web page when necessary. Must report the update to the assistant and main web page maintainers.
- Must enforce the voting of any relevant regulation votes.
- Can extend any particular vote from the default of seven days for any good reason.
- Can reduce the length or reject any particular vote from the default of seven days for any good reason. However, this decision can be overruled by a 2/3 vote from the general public.

Tournament Coordinator
- May reject a game for the tournament for any good reason.
- May choose the final x games of the tournament at any point up to seven days in advance of the beginning of the tournament. He may change the games after this point only by a 2/3 vote from the general public.
- May set any rule for the tournament as long as the spirit of the tournament remains intact up to seven days in advance of the beginning of the tournament. He may change rules after this point only by a 2/3 vote from the general public.
- Must organize at least one public meeting before the tournament and run that meeting.
- Must enforce the rules of the tournament at all times.
- Must attempt to advertise the tournament before and after the tournament.

Knockout (MAME Championship) Coordinators (there are 3 Knockout Coordinators)
- Can choose any game for any round at any point. They may change the game before it is announced, but cannot change the game unless agreed to by a 2/3 vote from the general public after the game is announced.
- Can choose any format for the MAME Championships at any point before the tournament begins. They can only change the format after a tournament begins by a 2/3 vote from the general public.
- Must enforce the rules of the MAME Championships at all times.
- Must attempt to advertise the MAME Championships before and after the tournament.
- (Knockout Chairman Only) Must organize at least one public meeting before the tournament and run those meetings unless he designates another coordinator to do this job.

Week Challenge Championship (WCC) Coordinator
- Organize and run the Week Challenge Championship

Olympiad Coordinator
- Organize and run the MARP Olympiad

Time Trial Coordinator
- Organize and run the Time Trial Competition

Nomination rules:

1. Nominations of coordinators will last from November 15, 00:00 GMT to November 21, 23:59 GMT.

2. Any member may nominate himself or any other member during this time period. Either publicly state your nomination on this thread, or email or PM me. I realize self-nominations are explicitly disallowed in the official MARP rules, but we've been allowing them in the last several elections, so I'm following precedence.

3. If a member is nominated, that person must either publicly state on this thread their intention to run for the nominated position, or email or PM me their intention. (My e-mail is gastrainga2001@yahoo.com)

4. A member must have submitted his/her first recording before July 1 2006 in order to qualify as a coordinator. (NOTE: There is no minimum length of membership or activity requirement in order to nominate somebody else).

5. Any editor may be a coordinator. The same person cannot hold regulation, knockout or tournament coordinator positions.

6. Failure to announce intention of running by November 24, 23:59 GMT will be considered rejection of the nomination.

7. I will report the current state of nominations/acceptations/rejections on this thread once a day.

8. If there are no nominations for the Olympiad or Time Trial positions, those positions will be treated as "dead" until somebody decides to resurrect them.

Please only accept a nomination if you are committed to fulfilling its responsibilities!

Election voting will begin on December 1, 00:00 GMT and will end on December 10, 23:59 GMT. In addition to electing coordinators, voting will include Editor confidence votes.

See http://marp.retrogames.com/rules/election.htm for general MARP Election Procedures

PS - BBH has stated that he preemptively rejects all nominations to coordinate a competition next year.
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

I nominate myself for K.O. coord. :oops:
sampras
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by sampras »

Marco Marocco wrote:I nominate myself for K.O. coord. :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

I nominate Notman, BBH, and MJS to return for Knockout Coordination. I honestly think that they did a fine job this year, so I say they all can return to do it again next year if they want to.

I agree with the change to rule 2... there probably should be a vote to make that official.

A point of information on rule 5 please... any one person can only take one of the following: regulation, tournament, knockout... correct? (in other words, they can't be regulation AND tournament, one or the other)
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

sampras wrote:
Marco Marocco wrote:I nominate myself for K.O. coord. :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
8O
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

gameboy9 wrote: I agree with the change to rule 2... there probably should be a vote to make that official.
)
I agree it shold be official to to avoid any possible complaints regarding somebody becoming a coordinator after a self-nomination. What is the procedure for making this rule change happen? I'm thinking I should just post a separate thread for people to vote on the rule change. IMO the rule against self-nominations is a bit silly. We don't have a huge number of candidates, and finding people that actually WANT to do the job seems like a good thing to me. What's more, according to the official election rules I could (and would) just post and say "Anybody that wants to be nominated, just tell me, and I'll nominate you". This would accomplish exactly the same thing as allowing self-nominations.
gameboy9 wrote: A point of information on rule 5 please... any one person can only take one of the following: regulation, tournament, knockout... correct? (in other words, they can't be regulation AND tournament, one or the other)
Correct, a person can only be one of the three at any given time. The rules state "A regulation coordinator may not be a tournament or knockout coordinator", "A knockout coordinator may not be a regulation or tournament coordinator", and "A tournament coordinator may not be a knockout or regulation coordinator".

One other rule I forgot to mention that might come into play is that only one of the knockout coordinators can be an editor.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Zhorik wrote: I agree it shold be official to to avoid any possible complaints regarding somebody becoming a coordinator after a self-nomination. What is the procedure for making this rule change happen? I'm thinking I should just post a separate thread for people to vote on the rule change. IMO the rule against self-nominations is a bit silly. We don't have a huge number of candidates, and finding people that actually WANT to do the job seems like a good thing to me.
Right. IMO since we have used self-nomination for couple of years already and nobody opposed, we don't need a poll. Just PM Barry with the updated elections.htm
Correct, a person can only be one of the three at any given time. The rules state "A regulation coordinator may not be a tournament or knockout coordinator", "A knockout coordinator may not be a regulation or tournament coordinator", and "A tournament coordinator may not be a knockout or regulation coordinator".
One other rule I forgot to mention that might come into play is that only one of the knockout coordinators can be an editor.
I'd like to hear reasoning behind these couple rules, just out of curiosity.
:)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I nominate Phil Lamat for Regulation Coordinator.
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

I think a lot of this stuff goes back to me since I wrote the rules way back when. :)

Used to be a ton of activity at MARP, hence why I had the no self-nomination rule. It worked fine for a couple of years, then MARP started waining, and so it didn't work out so well.

Zhorik, to make it official, just make a separate vote thread. You need a majority of the public to make it official... but I doubt anybody should complain.

As for the only one editor can be a knockout coordinator thingy and the you can only take one position thingy... I think I made that rule so that others could lead besides the editors. (It was a big to do back in the day... some thought the editors were elitests... blah blah blah...)

Also it was done to avoid dictatorship........ of course, I'm sure the rules here COULD be taken advantage of... *ahem*... my own US Politicians and that government, as an example...
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

gameboy9 wrote:I'm sure the rules here COULD be taken advantage of... *ahem*... my own US Politicians and that government, as an example...
Uh, I'm not touching that with a mile long stick... It's a trap! ;)
(Well Democrats *did* win midterms, so maybe that would not be completely hopeless...)
sampras
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by sampras »

I vote for Marco Marocco for K7 coordinator :wink:
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Nominations so far (accepted nominations are bolded, rejected nominations are underlined)

Regulation Coordinator:
Phil Lamat

Knockout Coordinator:
Marco Marocco
NotMan
MJS
BBH

Time Trial Coordinator:
Jason Dyer
Last edited by Zhorik on Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

I nominate Phil Lamat as WCC Coordinator.
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

nominate for Tournament coordinator The_Pro
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

I nominate:

Tournament: TJT
Knockout: zlk
Olympiad: gameboy9