Tricks in Gauntlet 2

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Chufoglu
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Tricks in Gauntlet 2

Post by Chufoglu »

I have discovered now that in Gauntlet 2, the green player has a degree of fight power bigger than the other colors. Wizard and Elf happen to have 1 or 2 instead of 1 and Warrior and Valkyrie happen to have 2 or 3 instead of 2. I have seen that the games of TJT and NotMan (and my games too) are not usually with that color, so that you probably don´t know it. I also wanted to ask you by the form to obtain 200 health in the changing foods. I have seen that they must be taken with health finished in 5 or 7, but don´t know about any other factors.
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

According to Gauntlet 1/2 FAQ said:

Being able to select your character, regardless of joystick, in Gauntlet 2,
is a bit bugged. Only the GREEN player is given the extra 'half' bonus for
fighting ability. in other words, playing Red, Blue, or Yellow warrior only
gives you 2x normal fight power, the same as Valkyrie. Green warrior has the
proper fight power. The same goes for Elf: Red, blue or green gives elf the
same fight power as wizard.

Likewise, playing both Valkyrie and Wizard on the green player gives them an
extra half level, so Valkyrie's fight power becomes equal to Warrior, and
Wizard's become equal to Elf's.
If only that applied to shot power... :)

I have a link for Gauntlet 1/2 FAQ if you want to know more about it, but it is out of dated. Most of people on IRC has the link for G1/2 FAQ, due they keep on asking me about it. :P

200 health trick! All that I know the trick applies using the last 2 ten digits number, and I'm not quite sure about hundred digits do or not. For example if the number appear in the last 2 digit like, ODD/ODD and EVEN/EVEN is "7" , ODD/EVEN and EVEN/ODD is "5" and sometime it works and sometime is opposite of that.

TJT knows more than I do, but I'm not quite sure he is willing to share any of his Gauntlet 2 hints, tips or any bug tricks.

Later,

NotMan

P.S. Potante, I really like all your Gauntlet 2 replays and keep it coming. :)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

you know you could post the fsq link you have here :) even if its outdated.

on the 200 trick which last 2 ten digits are you talking about. The 2 ten digits for score and health or the last two ten digits including the hundreth?
-skito
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Chad said:
on the 200 trick which last 2 ten digits are you talking about. The 2 ten digits for score and health or the last two ten digits including the hundreth?
The last two digits is score and 5 & 7 is the health counter on screen that you must hit to get 200 health.

For example like score is 24576. The last two digits is 7 and 6. Even/Odd, so you must hit number 5 when the health counter said it number 5 to get 200 health. I'm not quite sure if the hundredth digit do anything like if it was 5 as odd the trick should do on number 5 and even is number 7. I'm may be still wrong, but I haven't quite figured it out correctly, cause TJT knows the right sequences are.

For example... I may be wrong about this. Maybe it is opposite as I think it might be.

Hundred digit:

EVEN ------------------------------------------------- ODD

Ten digits:

ODD/ODD & EVEN/EVEN ---------- ODD/ODD & EVEN/EVEN
is # 5 --------------------------------- is # 7

ODD/EVEN & EVEN/ODD ----------@@ <----
is # 7 ----------------------- ---------- is # 5

Later,

NotMan
Last edited by NotMan on Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Oh crap! The script really messed up the chart. Oh well...

Here the FAQ link: There are only two of them that I know so far.

http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/gauntlet/faq.html

Very old and it is outdated. Some things in FAQ are wrong.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/fi ... t_i_ii.txt

This one is last update since 2001. :(

NotMan
Chufoglu
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Chufoglu »

Thank you for the links, very interesting. Though there are some mistakes in Gauntlet 1 FAQ, Gauntlet 2 FAQ is good.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

TJT knows more than I do, but I'm not quite sure he is willing to share any of his Gauntlet 2 hints, tips or any bug tricks.
Yes, You don't have to be genius to read faqs and copy my selfinvented highscoring tactics to beat my scores with few 8000's. :(
The sequence of levels at mame is allways the same, so copying is too easy.

You nailed the 200 trick there though. Someone could post 8000-1000-2000 etc death sequence here. I had it on paper but lost it. It's wrong at some faqs.

All GauntletII clones have identical gameplay.
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

TJT said,
I don't think so. It would take a lot of practices to get it right in some levels. If not, I should've beaten your score over by 100-200k. :P 600-800k is possible. Although, I would have love to play G2 with NVRAM, so I could play all those differents levels that didn't make it in G2 replays. :(

TJT said,
Someone could post 8000-1000-2000 etc death sequence here. I had it on paper but lost it. It's wrong at some faqs.
Are you serious!!! You should've know better than that! :lol:

Sequences should be 1000-2000-1000-4000-1000-6000-1000-8000.

Default setting when start up the game is 1000 between 2000 & 4000.

Hints, Hints, Hints.... 5 shots after death then 8 shots after that then repeat 8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8...

So, TJT... are you playing Gauntlet 2, again or you just have given up playing it.

IMHO, Level 37 with warp is the hardest level ever made on Gauntlet 2. The green board with V type diagonal level. :P

NotMan
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

NotMan wrote:TJT said,
I don't think so. It would take a lot of practices to get it right in some levels. If not, I should've beaten your score over by 100-200k. :P 600-800k is possible. Although, I would have love to play G2 with NVRAM, so I could play all those differents levels that didn't make it in G2 replays. :(
Thanks for the compliment.
Yeah, nvram would be nice,
and to enter secret room -it could be nice(what kind of hint is that supposed to be... :)
Sequences should be 1000-2000-1000-4000-1000-6000-1000-8000.

Default setting when start up the game is 1000 between 2000 & 4000.

Hints, Hints, Hints.... 5 shots after death then 8 shots after that then repeat 8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8...
Yeah, sounds correct. Thanks.
So, TJT... are you playing Gauntlet 2, again or you just have given up playing it.
Not given up, just postponed.
Then again, I still have the highest score amongst GII clones. I didn't bother updating those 350k scores to 550 last time I played...Not that it would've been allways so easy even...Depends a lot from the start you get, if start is bad you can as well start new recording.
Would take some time now to get into shape, not actual playing...but remembering what to do and where at the levels, figuring out what if something goes wrong, mirror image levels, invisible level etc...
I guess it should come back pretty quick, watching own inp couple times, playing few times.
Of course, if I do, I will improve my score, h*ll yeah I will! ;)
IMHO, Level 37 with warp is the hardest level ever made on Gauntlet 2. The green board with V type diagonal level. :P
Yes, that's just awful, you'd need some potions for that...too bad that all your potions are at that point gone, because of potioning the 8000 deaths!

The one where you start in the middle with key-walls around and many fake exits and dragon there is pretty tough too, as it so often happens the exit is behind friggin dragon, uh.

I like the fact that you did 300k with red Valkyrie, not easy, Valkyrie so much sucks 8O
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Evil Angel wrote:Oh, what I would give for a Blessed Scroll of Genocide... for those damn acid puddles.
Two potions?

...First one stuns them, second kills 'em, voila.
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Thanks, TJT for your reply to my questions. I wasn't sure you may be jealous of me or Potante beating your gauntlet 2 scores. I'm sure you'll beat us back if you had more time to play it again. :lol:

There are couple things that I know that wasn't even mention on Gauntlet 2 FAQ.

1. Starvation mode is depends on what settings is on certain G2 versions. For example like if starvation mode will hit at 350k and health is 750 per coin or credit. It would be average of 467 pts per health. If you change the default setting 750 to 2000. At 2000 health, you won't see starvation mode until 935k.

If the starvation mode is on! Valkyrie is only one will have less food available while others like Elf,Wiz and War. will starve. Hidden treasure chest is no use, cause it will more likely to have deaths to appear than potions or money bag.

2. Atari did not even mention about powerup loss, due the later level that thief actually will steal your power up and your power up will be -1 less than your normal powerups. For example like Elf lose shot power from thief. Elf will become the same shot power as Valkyrie not the normal Elf shot power. This really sucks, cause it make it a lot harder than original.

TJT wrote:
I like the fact that you did 300k with red Valkyrie, not easy, Valkyrie so much sucks Shocked
Thanks! Valkyrie is harder to do without average shot/speed/magic power than Elf. Although, you can get more food available than Elf.
Potante play Valkyrie better than I do as much we can do better than on Elf.

Although, I would like to do Warrior/Wizard, but they won't last after level 11 or 12. Blame Atari for their fault. It would be nice if it was the same as the original. :wink:

Last one, Getting in the secret room is pretty hard to do. Secret room do appear somewhere Level 20-31! It's not easy to do right task, due random code. I have done about 5 times, but only one made in replay under gaun22p1. There must be about 5-10 tasks to do in secret room. I only know three tasks so far. I never got the free t-shirt and $5,000 saving bonds which it probably is out of date! :P

I'm hoping that Potante should able to get at least one secret room any gauntlet 2 replays if he could do the tasks correctly. :)

NotMan
Chufoglu
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Chufoglu »

I have come up to the level 35 with valkyrie several times. I think valkyrie is as good as the elf in Gauntlet 2. In characteristics is worse because of the magic power, but starts with a level of difficulty a bit lower and that factor compensates. I do not understand the system of difficulty for one player in Gauntlet 2, with the valkyrie is easy, with the elf is more difficult, with the warrior even more and with the wizard is the most difficult one.

Valkyrie has the same shot power that the elf, is worst on magic, speed and shot speed and best in armor and fight power.

I don´t think is good to play with nvram. Then the record would depend too much on the order of the levels. The good luck would be too important.

Gauntlet 2 is a complex game...
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

I would prefer Shot power over shot speed and fight power as much I did on Wizard on Gauntlet 1. If Valkyrie has a better shot speed than Elf and I wouldn't have any problem shooting up the super sorcerer! :)

NotMan
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

If you can get someone to push you then you have infinite fight power :D. It was always fun to get the Warrior pushing the Wizard through a double corridor of 3-shot grunts :D.