Potante's Gauntlet rev 14

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Potante's Gauntlet rev 14

Post by NotMan »

Congrats to Potante for reaching the milestone on Gauntlet rev 14. I think that must be a new world record on parent set (rev 14). You are way better than I am on that revision. I don't think I can beat that score on the hardest setting. :)

I see that you're using Gauntlet 2 low scoring system. I didn't think that techinques was going to work on Rev 14 & 15.

I hope that someday you'll submit Gauntlet 2 replays, soon. I would love to see that if you are really good at it.

NotMan

P.S. Stalling for all exits to appear on 180 health tick is not a bug. It was added on Rev 6 and above. Atari found this bug causing to player (s) to starve to death if they overstock the keys and not able to continue to get through the exit if there was one key blocking the path.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Potante's Gauntlet rev 14

Post by The TJT »

NotMan wrote: I hope that someday you'll submit Gauntlet 2 replays, soon. I would love to see that if you are really good at it.
Nah, just keep beating notman's Gauntlet scores. I think there's still room for improvement. You could collect healt untill around 350k and then start potioning 8k deaths. You sure got lot of 8k's at one point, the question is if you could collect more health and start potioning points at later levels. I guess it depends on the order of levels...how foody and deathy they are later on.

I don't think GauntletII scores can be improved much. I got through the massive death levels, after which you get some health-eating levels with no 8k feasts in sight. GauntletII is a harder game, and the order of levels MAME gives you is not optimal. NVRAM changed the order of levels at arcade game, with mame we don't have the luxury.

Anyways, that was a heroic effort, I haven't seen such bravery, Elf has been eating all the food lately. Hahaha, can't touch mee-ee. Potante now has limited invisibility.
Chufoglu
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Chufoglu »

Hello, I am Potante. I think the Gauntlet record cannot be improved much. Sometimes i´ve played until level 100 (with more coins) and between the rooms 74 and 100 there are no rooms with many deaths in order to make points. And to get from level 100 in parent rom of Gauntlet with 1 credit and that order of levels seems very difficult.

I know that the trick of 180 health is not a bug, but i think that is as point leeching and is better not to do it.

I am not so good in Gauntlet 2 but i am training... greetings of Potante and his brother (i can read english but need his help to write)
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

Hello Potante, nice gauntlet game :) I watched it all. Looks like you did lots of research on the ordering of levels and exactly when to go for the 8k deaths to finish the game.

One question, I notice that when people submit a good score for this game on the 'hard' sets, they always get the Extra Shot Power first which is best of course. In my opinion the optimal order is Extra Shot Power, Extra Magic Power, Extra Fight Power, Extra Shot Speed, Extra Armour/Extra Speed. Do you know a way to control the ordering that you get these or do you just keep playing until you get the Shot Power first? I thought it might be something to do with shooting treasure but that could be a myth. Maybe you know TJT?

I doubt I'll get back into this game again, I played it a hell of a lot back in the 80's and in the college bar :) but it would be nice to know if there was a secret I missed.

Cheers, Gaz.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

LordGaz wrote: One question, I notice that when people submit a good score for this game on the 'hard' sets, they always get the Extra Shot Power first which is best of course. In my opinion the optimal order is Extra Shot Power, Extra Magic Power, Extra Fight Power, Extra Shot Speed, Extra Armour/Extra Speed. Do you know a way to control the ordering that you get these or do you just keep playing until you get the Shot Power first? I thought it might be something to do with shooting treasure but that could be a myth. Maybe you know TJT?
I pretty much agree with you on the order of items. I'd put extra speed over armour though, maybe even over shot speed. Then again shot speed is useful for protecting items from thieves.
It depends, when playing with Elf, extra speed and fight power is a good combination, especially at Gauntlet2. Wizard obviously doesn't need magic. Armor is crap. Shot power is absolutely best item, getting it for Elf helps a lot.
Ronnie James Dio had a band named Elf before Black Sabbath/Rainbow/Dio stuff.

I didn't know at MAME you get shot power each time at Gauntlet. At Gauntlet2 you get random items, I have no idea how to control that. You are lucky if you get shot power, also shot speed is handy at early levels. You get an item every 3 levels, I think.
Getting secret room early would help a lot. You gotta know your hints, and have some luck...You need right hint for a level. "Try pushing a wall" does not help if there are no pushable walls there. :)
Chufoglu
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Chufoglu »

I don´t know if there are ways to influence in the appearance of the potions. I believe that is random always. In my opinion, the best order of appearance for elf is extra shot power, afterwards extra fight power, extra armour (in Gauntlet protects plus 20%, in Gauntlet 2 only plus 10%), extra magic power and extra speed (on an equal way, more or less), and in the last extra shot speed, but it is also very important that they are not repeated much in order to have all of them soon. In my game until level 74 more shot power appers the last one but in spite of that soon