The official awesome replay thread

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: The official awesome replay thread

Post by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin »

I think MARP would gain a lot more recognition, and be able to preserve history, if video recordings could be made of all WRs on the site [Parents only, barring those cases where a Clone was equally popular / Found a lot in arcades] and upload to a MARP YouTube channel. I am sure it'd be nothing short of an absolute PITA, and there would be those who would probably get all hairy over it [But to that, why are you submitting your replay here then, because what would stop someone else from encoding privately or for personal endeavour?]

More so, a TON of old tricks and such for classic games that were done on obscure versions millenia ago... they would finally be able to be preserved properly!! Nothing more infuriating than to hear about a trick that did amazing things, but then you find it required some insanely obscure version only a half dozen people may still have laying around, if they were contactable.

I know there's probably going to be tons that will fall into the above category... but for those that don't?

And yes, I realize how much of a double pain it would be if you upload a wr, it gets encoded and then 2 days later someone beats it... so I figure that'd be where a 1 month grace period could be enacted, so that all new records must remain as such for 1 month.

Of course though, the even bigger aspect of this... no crappy 1st place scores either... Someone who puts up 20k on some obscure game by just inserting a coin, wildly flailing buttons and moving the joystick once, dying and declares WR.

There's a lot of Wheat to be separated from the chaff... but in the end, it could definitely help MARP expand out and preserve awesome moments like this excellent thread.

Then again.... this is just me rambling after watching a kick ass replay of Final Fight and watching a video that shows off the insane tricks of Out Run!

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Just a gaming junkie looking for his next High Score fix.
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

o.o?? Seriously... no replies? Was my suggestion that ridiculous sounding? Not viable? Not desirable? [Or should I use a new post in another forum..]

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin wrote:o.o?? Seriously... no replies? Was my suggestion that ridiculous sounding? Not viable? Not desirable? [Or should I use a new post in another forum..]

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
The effort would be an enormous undertaking: I'm slowly going through my own for my own channel and I got bored very quickly leaving two machines (one playback, the other capture) to generate the footage. It's not like there's a quick conversion method. Even if someone were willing, under what account & whose security access would it get done? It can be done but it just isn't what MARP (itself) has been nor intended to perform. Search YouTube for MAME MARP & there's plenty already there anyway. :)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Yeah, what Barthax said. I don't think anyone would disagree that the concept of having a central MARP youtube channel would be great, because there's a lot of great scores on MARP that deserve to be seen by a wider audience..... but that's a HUUUUUGE undertaking. There's so many romsets in MAME, so many scores to go through, so many versions of MAME required, so many different romsets. Barthax has already been doing a great job going through and confirming those old straggler unconfirmed scores, but it's one thing to playback scores, it's more work to also video capture them and then upload to youtube and all that. Especially if you have something like, say, those mega-marathon Gauntlet scores...

If you had multiple people using the channel then things would get done faster, but that also increases the chances that something goes wrong. Higher chance of someone leaking out the password, or somebody involved with it gets offended by something else that happens, and they maliciously delete all the scores that are on the channel. Unfortunately we've learned that even when something's uploaded to youtube, there's no guarantee it's going to be on youtube forever.

There'd also be the issue of what the best order to go about uploading recordings in. Alphabetical? (rip Zzyzzyxx scores). Maybe it would be better for people to nominate scores that should be given priority on what should be uploaded first, as long as people didn't go nuts nominating everything they've uploaded. I mean if you have that many scores you want on youtube, you can always do it yourself. I've put a few of my MARP replays on my youtube channel, and have been meaning to put up more, but... I kinda forgot lol. Definitely need to get back to it though.

There's also a channel here that has some random scores taken from MARP, but there's not many:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MAMEWorldRecords
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I would start doing (this starting alphabetical with 1rst places) if I knew how to capture youtube files (with the right options) to yield a good quality video with no buffer issues. I can easily playback any confirmed marp upload, I just don't know how to capture and upload to youtube. Is it possible to do this anyway, can you capture a running program and accurately get all action pixels and still have it look like you were watching an arcaed screen? I'm not so sure.
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

There's always -aviwrite, but you need a *lot* of spare disk space as MAME records AVIs uncompressed. You can then process it into a compressed format using something like Super or avidemux.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

In the past I tried -aviwrite as mahlemiut suggests and works beatifully.
It outputs pixel perfect video which I then compressed with ffmpeg using libx264 codec.
The resulting video had great quality and relatively small size... I remember tuning ffmpeg parameters for animation for better results.
If anyone wants to try it, I could see if I still have the script lying around somewhere.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Chad wrote:I would start doing (this starting alphabetical with 1rst places) if I knew how to capture youtube files (with the right options) to yield a good quality video with no buffer issues. I can easily playback any confirmed marp upload, I just don't know how to capture and upload to youtube. Is it possible to do this anyway, can you capture a running program and accurately get all action pixels and still have it look like you were watching an arcaed screen? I'm not so sure.
The best method I've found for video capturing MAME recordings in versions that DON'T support -aviwrite is to use OBS (Open Brodcaster Software). While OBS is primarily a streaming program, you can also use it to make local recordings of stuff. Just set it to capture the MAME window after it's running and have it make a local recording. Depending on the settings you use you might end up a with a big filesize, but you might be able to bring it down with another encoding. I meant to mess around with this some more.

Here's a sample recording of my NARC replay that I used OBS on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L0jP_VErHs

While it looks mostly ok it tops out at 480p in youtube settings and was uploaded before 60fps was supported on youtube. I should really give this another look to see if I can get future recordings uploaded at 60fps.
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Well I am glad that there's some interest and yeah, I was well aware this is a HUGE undertaking.... but I was hoping if enough interest was sparked and enough resources over time, something could slowly get done and maybe more would join in from seeing people doing it.

I also know YT isn't a forever and infinite thing.. and yeah, there's always the potential of someone going off the deep end... But I figure there's much more positive potential then not, so worth giving it a shot.

Who knows, depending on how things work out, maybe even a possibility of uploading the videos as well to somewhere like Archive.org may be an additional plan... or who knows, some site might be interested in offering the videos in torrents and share like that too. If there are rom collectors, you know there'd be interest in record videos.

I don't know... I am hopelessly optimistic something could work out.

I guess the toughest part is when romsets change from parent to clone and a new parent have popped up... but I am sure we can all work together to hammer something out that will eventually work.

Partly nostalgia... but the other part is not wanting to lose history like has occurred in the past.

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
ZeroMax
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by ZeroMax »

Right timing and few technical deaths someone might get 10m+ on Black Dragon, this vid was posted earlier today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdNoMb6zupk
OutRunner
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by OutRunner »

Hang-On Ride-on 57.936.990 pts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qS9p8oNSok
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Ncv2-rx : all clear with four cars left, score = 600k+
http://www.twitch.tv/danman123456/v/44708259
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Post by Novice »

DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
Jck
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Jck »

BBH wrote:The best method I've found for video capturing MAME recordings in versions that DON'T support -aviwrite
Hi everyone,

since I refuse to use -aviwrite gigantic output , I written a utility to read MNG video file created with -mngwrite, apply simple edits (resize, crossfade, etc.), add WAV audio (from -wavwrite) and pipe the result to FFMPEG to obtain the final MP4 file.
I'm using this method for every Arcade-Extreme MAME video: https://www.youtube.com/arcadeextreme
A little extra work is required, but the results are the same.

It suits my needs, but if someone is interested I can try to polish it to make it a little more usable and publish it somewhere.
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Post by Novice »

Current Arcadia/World record of R-type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfwyrV_oSB8
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE