The official awesome replay thread

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: The official awesome replay thread

Post by kernzy »

i don't care, this is awesome. lol!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY7VcfP4cJ8
CrazyKongFan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by CrazyKongFan »

KIG666 wrote:No extra life after 810K ? Are you sure I never noticed that but guess I just don't pay attention anymore since I never cared much about the extra lives.
yeah, it didn't make the extra man sound at 870K, 930K or 990K. It didn't do it again until after you rolled it, and hit 30K, then it did it every 60K after that again until 810K.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

CrazyKongFan wrote:http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/b/7/f/kig ... olf106.zip

Congrats!
278 levels, rolled it 4 times, 62 men in reserve (if I counted correctly) when you quit =D> =D> =D>
Some interesting observations from watching it. It quits giving you extra men after 810K, but starts up again after it rolls to 0, at 30K (30K, 90K, 150K, etc). When you go back out to Neptune, it starts the intro music at 2 warps to Neptune (that I knew), but it seems to rotate difficulties between easy, medium and hard, then back to easy, for that 2 warps to Neptune screen (easy one has no bullets during the formation, but still has the force fields and asteroids)
Hmmm... by my calculations it was actually 334 stages: 256 + 78 because it resets the round number back to zero a 3rd time when it hits stage 256. :)

I counted around 65 ships in reserve at the end, so it was definitely somewhere around the 62-65 mark. Hmm.... on a 5 ship game with all ships at this sort of level he may have to watch out for going over the 256 lives mark..... that could make it a bit nervous until you've scored another 60k to get another ship in reserve again... how annoying would it be to lose your 4th ship just after you'd wrapped up 256 lives and have game over without being able to use you 5th ship!! :roll:

If you watch my boring replays, you'll notice that I start shooting the bonus point ship formations again after each 3rd time through to earth.... unlike KIG I take the boring "safe" approach of not going for the 4.5k bonus with those ships from earth onward as too often I end up losing a ship going for the points!!

Cheers,
BeeJay.
CrazyKongFan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by CrazyKongFan »

BeeJay wrote:Hmmm... by my calculations it was actually 334 stages: 256 + 78 because it resets the round number back to zero a 3rd time when it hits stage 256. :)
oops, you're right. I watched it normal speed at 255 to see if it'd do any weird 8-bit overflow, and it went to 56 and looked normal, so I went back to running it with speed throttling off and didn't even notice the stage counter reset back to 1 on board 257.
I counted around 65 ships in reserve at the end, so it was definitely somewhere around the 62-65 mark. Hmm.... on a 5 ship game with all ships at this sort of level he may have to watch out for going over the 256 lives mark..... that could make it a bit nervous until you've scored another 60k to get another ship in reserve again... how annoying would it be to lose your 4th ship just after you'd wrapped up 256 lives and have game over without being able to use you 5th ship!! :roll:
yeah, I was wondering about that too...might have to play with that using a mame cheat and see what happens when the lives roll over. I did check it again though, and counted 62 deaths after the 1st one. Math works out too...extras are awarded at 30, 90, 150, 210, 270, 330, 390, 450, 510, 570, 630, 690, 750, 810=14 total per million. He ended up with 4,217,250, so that's 14*4+4+3(to start)=63 total ships
If you watch my boring replays, you'll notice that I start shooting the bonus point ship formations again after each 3rd time through to earth.... unlike KIG I take the boring "safe" approach of not going for the 4.5k bonus with those ships from earth onward as too often I end up losing a ship going for the points!!
Yeah, I'm real cautious about those bonus ships closer to earth, esp. on the board prior to the bonus stage. Seems like I always die when I try and get greedy with them ;) I'm not really very good though, I think my high score is around 450K. I did manage to make it thru from Neptune to Earth once without dying, then I think I died on the hard 3 warps to Neptune one. The machine I play on at the local classic arcade is set easier though. I don't know what it's actually set to, but the formations don't fire on the first board (2 warps to Neptune). I'll have to try and see if I can get him to let me check the dipswitches some time...I do know it's the Konami romset, rather then the Centuri one (even though it's a dedicated Centuri cab), because the Centuri one has "Licensed to Centuri" on the title screen and the points when it awards extra lives are harder than on the Konami one.
KIG666
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by KIG666 »

CrazyKongFan wrote:The machine I play on at the local classic arcade is set easier though. I don't know what it's actually set to, but the formations don't fire on the first board (2 warps to Neptune). I'll have to try and see if I can get him to let me check the dipswitches some time...I do know it's the Konami romset, rather then the Centuri one (even though it's a dedicated Centuri cab), because the Centuri one has "Licensed to Centuri" on the title screen and the points when it awards extra lives are harder than on the Konami one.
If the first formation of Neptune doesn't fire it can be everything from level 1-4. They start to fire on level 5.

BeeJay wrote:
If you watch my boring replays, you'll notice that I start shooting the bonus point ship formations again after each 3rd time through to earth.... unlike KIG I take the boring "safe" approach of not going for the 4.5k bonus with those ships from earth onward as too often I end up losing a ship going for the points!!.
Since I started to go for the bonus it's hard to stay away even if its risky sometimes haha
Guess once you started to max out the points there is no way back to the save route.

I guess it's save to say the 255 lives bug will never be a problem. My last 5 man game was over 7 and a half hour long and was still under 10M so I doubt it's possible to stay concentrated long enough to reach 255 ships in a 5 ship game. I will still try to improve cause on limited ships it's still challenging imo.

Can really not see how someone could enjoy Gyruss on real marathon settings with unlimited lives. Even for marathon there should be rules.

A running marathon has also rules like a certain distance. For Gyruss I would say 20 lives are more than enough.

I'm not the biggest fan of marathon scores since some ppl even take long breaks. For me it should be if you stop to play game over. Constant played without breaks that's a real marathon in my eyes and the limited lives should take care of the break lovers :lol:
CrazyKongFan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by CrazyKongFan »

KIG666 wrote:If the first formation of Neptune doesn't fire it can be everything from level 1-4. They start to fire on level 5.
Got a chance to play it again yesterday, comparing it to the Konami set in MAME, it looks like he has it set to "difficulty level 1 (easiest)". It matches the rocks coming out after the formation on stage 4, and the rocks coming out during the formation on stage 5. And I still suck at it ;) I think I ended up 1 warp to the 2nd Mars (stage 42) yesterday.
KIG666
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by KIG666 »

BITD as kid I played Gyruss at the mall and there the game was on easiest settings as well so far I remember me right. :oops:
You would improve pretty quick once you practice more no doubt.

I still remember the day I played this Gyruss bootleg Enu in italy for the first time.
This bootleg was sooo much harder I could not even reach 400K with my first credit :lol:

Really wonder why Enu is not emulated in mame.

Anyway I Would still like to max out the 5 ship track but then again I highly doubt that a 8-12 hours lasting Gyruss game would ever get confirmed on Marp.

My recent 9,4M 5 ship game on the centuri version is still unconfirmed and I have the feeling that it could stay unconfirmed forever like george rileys dk3 marathon score.........
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

KIG666 wrote:Really wonder why Enu is not emulated in mame.
Find it, and dump the ROMs, then it likely will be.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
KIG666
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by KIG666 »

mahlemiut wrote:Find it, and dump the ROMs, then it likely will be.

Well in a perfect world that would work but we all know the world isn't perfect :lol:

The enu pcb is super rare so far I know. Some italian arcade forums already searched for the pcb but nothing so I doubt if it's not to locate in italy that there is much hope to find it.

I googled a bit an according to wikipedia its lost and can't be found :roll:

Oh well at least now I know why it was so hard back in the days. it was set on hardest as default and there was no other setting for it.

Shame that it's so hard to find, it had different colors a bit arranged music and other names for some planets so far I remember me right.

Would really like to play it again and see if other things were changed as well.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

KIG666 wrote:Anyway I Would still like to max out the 5 ship track but then again I highly doubt that a 8-12 hours lasting Gyruss game would ever get confirmed on Marp.

My recent 9,4M 5 ship game on the centuri version is still unconfirmed and I have the feeling that it could stay unconfirmed forever like george rileys dk3 marathon score.........
Never say never!! :D

We disagree ever so slightly with the points as at the loss of your 2nd (4,883,800 vs 4,883,750) and 3rd (5,051,000 vs 5,050,800) lives. Perhaps I was marginally quicker to pressing the pause key at the start of the death sequence for each ship?

Full breakdown from my replaying of your recording is as follows, including the frame count as at the time I pressed the pause key. I've included the [hours:minutes:seconds] of elapsed game time that that frame count equates to at 60fps. I also included the stage count, and which warp to which planet that was, in case that's of interest to anyone as well.

Code: Select all

1st  1,249,250  Stage  96 (3 warps to Neptune)  Frames:   200,424  [00:55:40] (Last enemy just shot. Bugger!)
2nd  4,883,750  Stage 392 (3 warps to Saturn)   Frames:   822,290  [03:48:24]
3rd  5,050,800  Stage 406 (1 warp to Earth)     Frames:   852,961  [03:56:56]
4th  6,345,700  Stage 512 (3 warps to Saturn)   Frames: 1,074,303  [04:58:25]
5th  9,460,950  Stage 761 (2 warps to Mars)     Frames: 1,601,152  [07:24:45]

Lives left after losing 5th life:  112
Frames at game over: 1,646,692  [07:37:24]
Frames at end of putting in initials:   1,647,460  [07:37:37]
First frame where ship was fully formed is 304, so we could possible subtract 5 seconds from each of the above times... if you wanted to be really pedantic.... but then some of the frame counts above would be out by a few frames anyway for my reaction time to pressing the pause key!! ;-)

Cheers,
BeeJay.
KIG666
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by KIG666 »

BeeJay wrote:Never say never!! :D
Great to see my score confirmed , big thanks for checking it and thanks for the additional info :D

Totally forgot the time that it takes to kill all the lives at the end :lol:

I just checked with wlfview and used a online frame calculator but yeah playing time is about 13 minutes shorter.

I reviewed it right after the game ended so I was a bit tired that might be the reason why your life scores are more accurate than mine. You have for sure clicked the pause button faster than me.

I think 12M should be doable with a bit more balanced game or just a 3rd great ship and a bit more luck of course.

Yesterday i had a great start but after the first death I lost a 2nd one while trying to get the double shoot back which is pretty rare for me so I stopped the game immediately ](*,)

Guess I need at least one ship in reserve when I hit the 9M mark if i want score near 12M. That can take a while but I really want a maxed out 5 ship game as well.
ZeroMax
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by ZeroMax »

Interesting Playlists thanks to Icarus recording @ Stunfest 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxJ1GgK ... EKGuIo5yq8

Notable SOF-WTN playing LIVE DoDonPachi and SPS Ketsui with no miss on last boss Doom. (Not Entire Runs)
dan
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by dan »

AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by AL »

Only just seeing this now lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41yXxq0YCcQ