The official awesome replay thread

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

ZeroMax
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: The official awesome replay thread

Post by ZeroMax »

Twin Cobra 2 No Miss/ No Bomb - 11,128,410 pts

http://www.arcade-extreme.com/download. ... ame106.zip
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

it's not that the programmers suck etc.

they had very limited ram and rom chip space etc.

the games had to be extremely optimized.

The games reach limits... 8-bit==256...where many games hit a kill when "256th" level is reached...cuz the variable(s) controlling certain aspects of the game were 8-bits(1 whole byte!) so were limited to 0-255 in value. mspac is really weird....would be cool for that guy that explains the pacman split, and digdug etc. fully explains the mspac behavior and why it's different from game to game etc. I know it has to do with initial "trash" values for certain registers versus the game setting them to zeroes before the start of each game.

The programmers knew these issues were there....but...

The programmers often figured gamers would never reach the level to play the games to the point where these known issues would matter.

Sure they could have coded to work around those issues...but the game would have taken 16.5 k instead of 16 k!!! ...when for the game they likely were given an absolute limit of 16 k.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

LN2 wrote:The programmers knew these issues were there....but...

The programmers often figured gamers would never reach the level to play the games to the point where these known issues would matter.
That's a very bold statement and, given the number of obscure bugs in my programmes over the years, I think it is far more likely they didn't even know the bug existed... and if they did what programmer ever likes to ship their programmes with such serious known bugs in them...
LN2 wrote:Sure they could have coded to work around those issues...but the game would have taken 16.5 k instead of 16 k!!! ...when for the game they likely were given an absolute limit of 16 k.
I hardly think it would have taken another ½k to fix the bug.... especially given the clever "patches" that some programmers have come up with that fit into exactly the same rom image sizes to correct some of these classic game bugs. ;)

Cheers,
BeeJay.
ZeroMax
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by ZeroMax »

GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

save state + re-recording + difficulty level 1 = :lol:
ZeroMax
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by ZeroMax »

GHEMANT wrote:
Just looked amazing to me, this guy didn't even use more than 1 bomb and died just once.
Not sure how he did it and i play this game a lot but cant get past level 12 with default settings (level -4) and autofire.
Maybe ill try to improve with save states.
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

ZeroMax wrote:
GHEMANT wrote:
Just looked amazing to me, this guy didn't even use more than 1 bomb and died just once.
Not sure how he did it and i play this game a lot but cant get past level 12 with default settings (level -4) and autofire.
Maybe ill try to improve with save states.
this video is 100% fake and level 1 difficulty it's more easy of level 4.... this is a re-recording video (save state... recording... load, recording, save state etc.),

is impossible learn something from this video.
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

The Pop'n'Pop score of 1,050,200 by Metrackle is a fantastic achievement. Metrackle is the first player to finish the game, and to make a good score without leeching.

I have tried to finish this game in one credit many times, and failed. So congratulations to Metrackle!

Pop'n'Pop is a fun puzzle game that has always been one of my all time favourite games! It's so good to see it finished on one credit!

Kranser.
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Shinobi

Post by GHEMANT »

dan
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by dan »

It is a conversion of the MAME replay.
However, he has not opened the replay file to the public.
ZeroMax
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: Shinobi

Post by ZeroMax »

Very nice video, thanks for the link Dan.

And only 2 hostages x 200 pts everything else 1000.
Magic to finish last boss also awards ~7000 extra points.

Maybe 800.000 pts is possible?
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

BeeJay wrote:I hardly think it would have taken another ½k to fix the bug.... especially given the clever "patches" that some programmers have come up with that fit into exactly the same rom image sizes to correct some of these classic game bugs. ;)
yeah, I know it wouldn't either...
again, sure it is something they could have fixed if they wanted to...but hey...they had a working game...some bugs like the kill screen in pacman.

oh, we have an issue when the screen counter when ot goes from 255 back to 0. ahh, doesn't matter...who on earth would ever play the game that far?

you know this is likely what was stated...so why take the time to fix it...burn new rom sets etc. when they felt it didn't matter?
face it, pacman and DK and Digdug etc. wouldn't have much appeal left if those games were just down to a marathon contest of how long you can last.

having the limit to increase actual skill of the game to maximize points before the kill is great.

ie. that gmgalax....see, no attempt to eat monsters at all really...or even get the second fruit many boards....just play through the boards...board after board...get to the 9th key...then run that pattern endlessly.

the whole skill of grouping or having patterns for the early boards to maximize points on the early boards is meaningless when just playing a handful more of 9th key boards gives you the same score and beyond...
ZeroMax
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by ZeroMax »

Poor quality 2All replay of Sengoku Blade with Katana....
score: 2320k

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTUxNzg3Mjg4.html

...and 2All Strikers 1945 with P-51

score:2286k

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTExODYwMjE2.html
mmxx
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by mmxx »

replay-burners remians a replay about "19XX", stores seems reach "20050000"
but i don't know the site but I found it in "youku" if you can watch