Bemani thread

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

gamerya
Button Masher
Button Masher

Bemani thread

Post by gamerya »

Thought this would be a good place to talk about beatmania scores and courses and what not... just might save all the off-topic posts going into other threads.

Desangre and BBH: looking forward to seeing you guys own these games once you have access to them ^_^ as for me...maybe i'll show a little magic too.

BTW...this can also be used for DDR and IIDX and all that... (obviously)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

You mean talking about it in #marp for hours isn't enough? :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
gamerya
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by gamerya »

mahlemiut wrote:You mean talking about it in #marp for hours isn't enough? :)
Not evryone has access to the channel...either that or they're too lazy to come in...or been banned...or something.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Hey, I'm not in #marp, so, I don't hear the talking. :)

Anyhow, Beatmania is awesome. Now that it's in MAME, I can finally play the real deal (instead of via simulator). I hope that I can play it for a few hours each day until I get a lot better at it.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

*totally tunes out*
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

there's NEVER enough Bemani talk!

once I find a way to get those pesky .chd's, you know I'll be all over everything here. Although I still sort of worry about trying to adjust to playing on a keyboard after spending the last month and a half playing PS2 IIDX on a Konami controller... and the PSX USB converter I got was a piece of crap that delayed key presses on everything. I'd have to find another one. :\

I don't know if I'll be able to manage the highest Expert Course scores though after hearing the kind of things gamerya and DeSangre do on IIDX... :o my scoring still needs work... but I'm coming along fairly well.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

where can you get chd's with a decent bandwith...
gamerya
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by gamerya »

coughcoughBitTorrentscoughcough

Kelly
evil_angela
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by evil_angela »

BBH - check out either http://www.ddrfreak.com or http://www.stepmania.com for advice on which PSX to USB converters to get. I got one of the ones recommended for my DDR mats, and it worked wonderfully. I've also been using the converter to play some of the MAME games with the PSX control. No delays, no axis issues for the dance pads, no problems at all.

I'm definitely going to have to get a couple of IIDX controls to hook up to my machine to play Beatmania on - the keyboard doesn't cut it, and I know this even never having played Beatmania on an actual machine.

I'm looking forward most to seeing DDR in MAME. I'll have no problems nailing most of the songs on those earlier mixes. Anyone know the progress on this front?

(Hmm... does make me realize that when I build my MAME machine, I'm probably going to have to build a set of DDR pads that can be attached...)
gamerya
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by gamerya »

evil_angela wrote:

I'm looking forward most to seeing DDR in MAME. I'll have no problems nailing most of the songs on those earlier mixes. Anyone know the progress on this front?
you won't be very impressed when/if it does hit MAME. Everyone using their keyboards for DDR highscores doesn't cut it for me :(

I would use a pad...but i'm not everyone.
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

evil_angela wrote: I'm looking forward most to seeing DDR in MAME. I'll have no problems nailing most of the songs on those earlier mixes. Anyone know the progress on this front?
most of them (all?) are psx based, with cd / dvd? we're not really interested in emulating them as they're still rather popular.
SJK
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by SJK »

Haze wrote:
evil_angela wrote: I'm looking forward most to seeing DDR in MAME. I'll have no problems nailing most of the songs on those earlier mixes. Anyone know the progress on this front?
most of them (all?) are psx based, with cd / dvd? we're not really interested in emulating them as they're still rather popular.
^ yep, its the only arcade you ever see in this contry nowadays.. so if it was fully emulated then what is the point of arcades with these things in them (personally I don't see why they only have this game in most arcades here now cause its a lot worse than all of the othwer benami games.)
- Smraedis
evil_angela
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by evil_angela »

So the hardware is significantly different from the Beatmania hardware? I would have never expected that... what about other Bemani games?
If it was fully emulated then what is the point of arcades with these things in them?
For the same reason everything else is emulated. Emulating DDR wouldn't really affect anyone - anyone who is really interested in playing at home either already has home versions on their PSX/PS2, and/or has Stepmania on their PC. You still don't get the arcade platform and the flashing lights and such. I know I'm very curious about the look and feel of the first few DDR mixes - other than a couple plays on a 5th Mix, I haven't even seen anything but MAX2 and Extreme.

Hmm... I do wonder what kind of splits will be needed a few years down the line when MAX and later machines are emulated, with all the different scoring modes.
gamerya
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by gamerya »

DDR should be much easier to emulate than BM...considering there is no need for samples...all is needed is bg and music.

As for the splits...Max should only have 3 splits...into light, standard, heavy. Which will encourage perfect attack...(not that it's anything hard using a keyboard)

Max 2 will not alot of splits...every ONI course, along with light, standard, heavy.

Extreme will be same as MAx 2 ...every ONI, and a hell of alot of splits that will be o_0... but i think ONI's from max 2 will not need to be split on extreme...as that would just waste time and space.

All this is assuming that there WILL be an emulation of DDR. In the meantime...play stepmania...much better game that is.

http://www.stepmania.com - also can get many original songs which are sooo much better than the DDR songs.

If you get the chance make sure to download the original dwi's:

So Deep(wire mix) - possibly the best dwi ever created...very well done.

MaxX RessurexXion - DJ Demon, a frickin nice nice NICE trance version of the max series...

Anyone else is welcome to recommend some awesome dwi's they have created or whatever... i made one for Future Girls - Smile.dk ;)

aaaand this is my longest post ever.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

it's a bit early to get into discussion on splits... but...
gamerya wrote: As for the splits...Max should only have 3 splits...into light, standard, heavy. Which will encourage perfect attack...(not that it's anything hard using a keyboard)
Uh, why split when you change between Light, Standard, and Heavy between songs? MAX1 only has two high score lists - Normal and EX (four counting Double Normal and Double EX, of course).
Max 2 will not alot of splits...every ONI course, along with light, standard, heavy.
Again, I question whether it's warranted to split regular song sets by difficulty.

And 18 Oni courses... seeing how Beatmania 4th Mix can't get split into 6 Expert courses, that's not going to happen. :( Since attract mode has ranking lists for Naoki Standard, Nearly=130, and Paranoia Bros., I would just go with those.
Extreme will be same as MAx 2 ...every ONI, and a hell of alot of splits that will be o_0... but i think ONI's from max 2 will not need to be split on extreme...as that would just waste time and space.
Don't forget the Nonstop courses.