Bemani thread

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

JoeyL21988 wrote:I received my controller today, it's awesome. I think I'm going to learn how to play one handed, seems more fun.
One-handed play is much more feasible with 5 keys of course. The two extra keys in IIDX make it so much harder to play one-handed, trust me. ;)

I don't really like playing with only one hand on the keys, but if you do, go for it. It may slow your progress for a bit, but if you get it down, later on you'll be able to tear up songs that mix scratching with complex note patterns at the same time. (which is why one-handed players always seem to say that B4U is easy in IIDX... it kicks my ass and I've only passed it once)

Have fun with the controller :)
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

BBH wrote:
JoeyL21988 wrote:I received my controller today, it's awesome. I think I'm going to learn how to play one handed, seems more fun.
One-handed play is much more feasible with 5 keys of course. The two extra keys in IIDX make it so much harder to play one-handed, trust me. ;)

I don't really like playing with only one hand on the keys, but if you do, go for it. It may slow your progress for a bit, but if you get it down, later on you'll be able to tear up songs that mix scratching with complex note patterns at the same time. (which is why one-handed players always seem to say that B4U is easy in IIDX... it kicks my ass and I've only passed it once)

Have fun with the controller :)
Man, you are so right about it being a lot harder one handed for IIDX than 5 key. I'm progressing decently with 5-key, not as good (I'm not good, but you know what I mean) as I am two handed, but it's getting there. IIDX is just horrid one handed, I think I have a hand position that's going to work for me, but it'll take -atleast- twice the amount of time if not more to get good as it would for me two handed. But it's still enjoyable, and that's the important part. :) I play IIDX via sim btw. Any songs good for learning stuff that you might suggest (or easy light songs, or something of that nature)?

Thanks. :)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

JoeyL21988 wrote: I play IIDX via sim btw. Any songs good for learning stuff that you might suggest (or easy light songs, or something of that nature)?
Well I don't know where you're downloading files from and which ones they have... I say this because I had someone else with a sim ask me for songs with Light-7 versions, but in the real thing every song is supposed to have a Light-7... the .bms creators don't bother with them sometimes I guess.

I can't think of many good "training" songs off the top of my head... Starmine Light-7 might be a good one, it's pretty fast and involves a form of scales, along with "gallop"-type notes at the beginning. I'll try to think of some others later...
gamerya
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by gamerya »

JoeyL21988 wrote:I play IIDX via sim btw. Any songs good for learning stuff that you might suggest (or easy light songs, or something of that nature)?
Well...the problem with IIDX is that most of the awesome songs are also the hardest to play. Here's a few of my favorites (some are old) :

Attitude (8th style...i think)
V (5th style)
Empathy (6th style...i think)
Sync (5th style)
B4U (6th style)
Rislim (5th style)
Abyss (5th style) and the best IIDX song ever.
and many more...just have a look around...
most of these songs can be d/led along with the light (easy) versions also.
*cough*geocities.com/_2220/bms*cough*
*cough*geocities.com/djbadsmusicstoreroom/*cough*
man that's a nasty cough...
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Thanks for telling me about Starmine BBH. Great song. :)

Thanks for the links Gamerya (although I already had both myself ;) )
I've been having trouble using mp3s from DJ Bad's site, so I went in search of other places with .bms files, and I found people who had keysounds along with the .bms' for some of the IIDX stuff as well as the 5-Key stuff. Lion Suki is an awesome song, about the only 3 star Light 7 I can -pass- one handed (133xxx). I'll have to try Attitude, Rislim, and Abyss out in IIDX, never tried those before (or even for listening pleasure if I can't pass them quite yet :) )
gamerya
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by gamerya »

although it's hell skilled to be able to play with one hand on hard songs, it's probably better for you to first learn the patterns with both hands...and then eventually become good enough for one hand...otherwise you'll find yourself learning much slower than if you played with both.

Although you may have the time to learn slowly...all upto you really... good luck :)

And Joey...make sure you rename the mp3's from djbad's site...otherwise the emulator won't recognize it...for example...say the song is 'Abyss'. It may ave the file name '16. Abyss' and in the bms it will be looking for a file named 'Abyss.mp3' so yeah...open the bms using notepad to see what the filename for the mp3 is...and change it to match :)
And be sure to give each song it's own folder
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Lion Suki is the shit!!!

download the video for it off Bemanistyle. it's awesome

NANANANANANA

anyway if we're going to go into favorite IIDX songs, here are some of mine (mostly 3rd-6th since I've never played any of the later arcade Styles)

Reincarnation
Macho Gang (best. video. EVER.)
Gradiusic Cyber (much better than the DDR version)
Calcutta (Dr. Bombay is just so awesome)
S.O.S. (ditto)
Take On Me
The Final Countdown
Empathy (it's 4th Style, actually)
North
Clione
Voltage
New York City Boy
Jive into the Night
Gobble
Abyss (duh)
Sometime
Sync
QQQ
c-r-a-c-k-ER (LOL)
Rottel-da-Sun (truly bizarre)
Nemesis (even though I can't pass it again now)
Dissolve
Fly Through the Night
Outer Limits
Last Message (:D :D :D)

etc etc etc... this is getting too long
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

gamerya wrote:although it's hell skilled to be able to play with one hand on hard songs, it's probably better for you to first learn the patterns with both hands...and then eventually become good enough for one hand...otherwise you'll find yourself learning much slower than if you played with both.

Although you may have the time to learn slowly...all upto you really... good luck :)

And Joey...make sure you rename the mp3's from djbad's site...otherwise the emulator won't recognize it...for example...say the song is 'Abyss'. It may ave the file name '16. Abyss' and in the bms it will be looking for a file named 'Abyss.mp3' so yeah...open the bms using notepad to see what the filename for the mp3 is...and change it to match :)
And be sure to give each song it's own folder
I have plenty of time to learn one handed, but I might start playing two handed because it's getting really annoying when I can't do stuff because my pinky + index finger aren't as coordinated as the rest of my fingers (and thumb).

Yea, I already had people try to help me get them to work, but it's a lost cause for some reason (strange as well). I had already known how the .bms files worked, having to make sure the names match up, since I did it a while ago to get a few to work. Then more recently, when I did it again, it didn't work. I had even used the MP3s at DJBad's site for the first ones I had downloaded a long time ago, but I can't really remember if I had any problems (I have a strange feeling that I reencoded each of them, but I tried that, and they still don't work). It's odd how my older mp3s work, but none of the newer ones will. It doesn't really matter anyhow, since I can find most of them with keysounds.
BBH wrote:Lion Suki is the shit!!!

download the video for it off Bemanistyle. it's awesome

NANANANANANA

anyway if we're going to go into favorite IIDX songs, here are some of mine (mostly 3rd-6th since I've never played any of the later arcade Styles)

Reincarnation
Macho Gang (best. video. EVER.)
Gradiusic Cyber (much better than the DDR version)
Calcutta (Dr. Bombay is just so awesome)
S.O.S. (ditto)
Take On Me
The Final Countdown
Empathy (it's 4th Style, actually)
North
Clione
Voltage
New York City Boy
Jive into the Night
Gobble
Abyss (duh)
Sometime
Sync
QQQ
c-r-a-c-k-ER (LOL)
Rottel-da-Sun (truly bizarre)
Nemesis (even though I can't pass it again now)
Dissolve
Fly Through the Night
Outer Limits
Last Message (:D :D :D)

etc etc etc... this is getting too long
The video is sweet, I don't understand what's going on with the person stirring the pot and the egg though... :D

Ah, that's the greatest thing about Beatmania (5-Key and IIDX); there are so many great songs. Final Countdown!
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

JoeyL21988 wrote: The video is sweet, I don't understand what's going on with the person stirring the pot and the egg though... :D
Hehe, I found a post a while back where someone translated all the lyrics, apparently the whole song is all about food and the chorus says "lions like it, it makes them alive", or something like that... I need to find it again. So that SORT OF makes sense for the video, but not really. Then again the nonsensical videos are often the best. (Macho Gang!!)

plus the song says something about a guy named Carlos. Listen to the last line before the chorus and you'll hear it. :)
gamerya
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by gamerya »

Yes...Final Countdown is an awesome song.

and the edit button is also awesome
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

I don't play too often (lack of time), but was able to pass Love Shine L7 with 153xxx, it's a 5*. I think I'm doing alright on progression...
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

JoeyL21988 wrote:I don't play too often (lack of time), but was able to pass Love Shine L7 with 153xxx, it's a 5*. I think I'm doing alright on progression...
Hmm, wish I had access to the song so I could tell how difficult it is.... Konami has come up with some cracked-out ratings for songs (ahh, Hyper Boundary Gate). I think a score of 153k is usually a high B, pretty close to an A...

If you're looking to pass a L7 6-star, you might want to give Sync a try... it does have some tricky parts (there's a part near the end that sorta confused me) but you might be able to get through it after a few tries. It was the first L7 6-star I passed... but again, song ratings never tell the whole story. :)

random pictures from my IIDX'ing! (mostly AAA's)

http://bbh.marpirc.net/iidx/
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

BBH wrote:
JoeyL21988 wrote:I don't play too often (lack of time), but was able to pass Love Shine L7 with 153xxx, it's a 5*. I think I'm doing alright on progression...
Hmm, wish I had access to the song so I could tell how difficult it is.... Konami has come up with some cracked-out ratings for songs (ahh, Hyper Boundary Gate). I think a score of 153k is usually a high B, pretty close to an A...

If you're looking to pass a L7 6-star, you might want to give Sync a try... it does have some tricky parts (there's a part near the end that sorta confused me) but you might be able to get through it after a few tries. It was the first L7 6-star I passed... but again, song ratings never tell the whole story. :)

random pictures from my IIDX'ing! (mostly AAA's)

http://bbh.marpirc.net/iidx/
Was glad to find a keysounded bms for it, but then found there was no Light 7 with it, so I had to use an mp3 and a find the bms file. :? Atleast the MP3 actually worked... :D

Anyhow though, I passed it first try: 291-211-23-3-16 . Not that great in terms of score (140xxx) but I'm happy with it.

Thanks for pointing me to the song.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

JoeyL21988 wrote: Anyhow though, I passed it first try: 291-211-23-3-16 . Not that great in terms of score (140xxx) but I'm happy with it.

Huh, the sim must have some screwy scoring system... because an EX score of 793 is good enough for an A. But I never see A's in the 140k range... oh well

sounds like you're making some progress :)
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

BBH wrote:
JoeyL21988 wrote: Anyhow though, I passed it first try: 291-211-23-3-16 . Not that great in terms of score (140xxx) but I'm happy with it.

Huh, the sim must have some screwy scoring system... because an EX score of 793 is good enough for an A. But I never see A's in the 140k range... oh well

sounds like you're making some progress :)
Yea, the sim seems a bit messed up with the scoring. :?
Thanks. :D

Nice job on those scores you posted earlier. Looks like you are really good at IIDX. :)