Bemani thread

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

gamerya
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by gamerya »

Max...because it's easy to see if someone changes difficulty during a song.
The high score rankings for DDR are kindof gay...would be nice to change it around a little.

And who isn't hell bored of Nearly 130, Naoki Standard and Paranoia Bros :(

And yes BBH...i did forget the nonstop courses...mainly coz i rarely play them ^_^
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Just ordered a Konami IIDX Controller, so I should be getting it sometime around the middle of next week. Then I can play more, my hotrod's buttons don't do too good of a job... :D
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

JoeyL21988 wrote:Just ordered a Konami IIDX Controller, so I should be getting it sometime around the middle of next week. Then I can play more, my hotrod's buttons don't do too good of a job... :D
Wow. And if you ever have the means to get a modded/Japanese PS2 so you can play IIDX (which is soooo worth it), you won't have to worry about the added expense of getting the controller...

And I'm sure you know that IIDX controllers have a habit of the keys sticking after a while. :( So you may have to look into "modding" the controller a little in the future...
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

BBH wrote:
JoeyL21988 wrote:Just ordered a Konami IIDX Controller, so I should be getting it sometime around the middle of next week. Then I can play more, my hotrod's buttons don't do too good of a job... :D
Wow. And if you ever have the means to get a modded/Japanese PS2 so you can play IIDX (which is soooo worth it), you won't have to worry about the added expense of getting the controller...

And I'm sure you know that IIDX controllers have a habit of the keys sticking after a while. :( So you may have to look into "modding" the controller a little in the future...
Yea, I had thought about just getting a cheaper Konami 5-Key controller, but just as you said, having the IIDX controller allows me to play both when I do eventually mod my PS2 (which I would really like to do by the end of this year).

Yeah, I read stuff about peoples keys sticking. :? I'd never do the sanding mod, but I'm liking the idea of that sheet magnet mod I read about...
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

JoeyL21988 wrote: Yeah, I read stuff about peoples keys sticking. :? I'd never do the sanding mod, but I'm liking the idea of that sheet magnet mod I read about...
Well, I took a metal file and filed down the corners of the keys. I think I overdid it a little though. :( I also cut out small circles out of a manilla folder and glued those to the bottom of all the keys.

I've been playing like crazy the last few days and have had a key stick only once for some reason. But they've been holding up pretty well now, the only bad thing is that the corners of the keys look all ugly and stuff now, and feel a little weird if my fingers touch the corners... although it's not something I notice in the middle of playing. I was a bit apprehensive about actually filing down the keys because I was worried about screwing things up, but the keys were sticking WAY too much in their current state.
gamerya
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by gamerya »

It;s a common thing with the IIDX controller...its only flaw.
Joey...you will find you'll probably have to do the same thing after awhile. Or you can do what i do...and just wash the buttons and the rubber circle things once a week ^_^ IIDX is as close to heaven as I have been... enough said, good investment.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Alright, thanks for your input BBH and gamerya. I appreciate it. :)
gamerya
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by gamerya »

V: Thanks alot for the info...didn't know score display had to be off also to access the courses...i shall have fun now.

And yes...beatmania truly sucks with a keyboard.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

gamerya wrote:V: Thanks alot for the info...didn't know score display had to be off also to access the courses...i shall have fun now.

And yes...beatmania truly sucks with a keyboard.
Yea, no problem. I found what the dips had to be set to on an actual board (on a japanese site), and then opened MAME, and saw that when I turned on "Secret Expert Course", it only turned on two of the three dips it was supposed to. Maybe the MAME devs screwed up, or that's the way it's supposed to be, but whatever. I then went through all the other Dip switches to see what one turned on the other needed dip, and it ended up being Score Display set to off. Tried it out, bam, worked. Have fun.

It sure does suck.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Hey, for you Beatmania/IIDX players out there... Do you use one or two hands while you play?
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Hands? Who said they are using their hands? That´s for the beginners! j/k :p
QRS
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

JoeyL21988 wrote:Hey, for you Beatmania/IIDX players out there... Do you use one or two hands while you play?
two

One hand on the keys all the time isn't recommended unless you want to get really good at Double, or if dj LISU is your role model. I try to keep two hands on the keys whenever possible. Since the Konami IIDX controller has a turntable that's closer to the keys than the arcade, it's easy to pick up a bad habit known as "pinky scratching"... basically using your hand to simultaneously scratch and hit keys (probably 1 and 2 on 1P side, 6 and 7 on 2P side)

oh, and even though I'm right handed, I play 2P side on IIDX (turntable is on the right, just like 5-Key Beatmania) because my left hand is totally shit at scratching. I've tried and it just doesn't feel natural whatsoever. My right hand is still obviously better at hitting a lot of keys, but my left hand is slowly catching up, I think... certain patterns are getting easier to do with it...
gamerya
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by gamerya »

As for me...I like to keep both hands on the keys also...however, it's abit hard to do that with small-ass keys on the keyboard...so i use 1 hand for beatmania's 5 keys on MAME and 1 for scratch.

as for IIDX...yeah, unless it's arcade...both hand on the keys is fine because you can just pinky scratch easily...although i stuffed up my hand doing that too often :x

I play with scratch to the left...it was hard at first, but i became accustomed to that way after much practice... also because i am right handed, that means i can usually keep 1 hand on the keys and the other on scratch, for gay songs like Spin The Disc. and if anyone says that song is decent...don't listen to em. :wink:

IIDX is the only thing i consider myself half-decent at...although Shock Troopers is on it's way :)

Desangre is also quite the awesome-ness on IIDX...

BBH is pretty good...and possibly will reach awesome-ness in a few months.

and Taz...i dunno...think he's quite good ^_^

not that anyone asked any of this...just thought i'd share my opinion and creat my first half essay-length post
Zteuer
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Zteuer »

While I'm waiting for my controller I'm using the keyboard with this setup:
S D <- Left hand long and index finger
Z X C <- Right hand index, ring and long finger

Alt and V for scratching using right thumb and pinkie.

Sadly this won't let me do a lot of key combos due to the keyboard matrix thingie, but I'm still learning basic play so I think it's ok so far. Looking forward to getting my hands on the controller though.

Also I found out that bmcorerm runs a lot faster on my pc than the others I have tried, and that seems to make a difference for me.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

I received my controller today, it's awesome. I think I'm going to learn how to play one handed, seems more fun.