Question re: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Question re: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Post by Weehawk »

Watching one of Ray Atkinson's impresssive performances on the game I noticed that before he crosses the rope bridge to reach Mola Ram he whips about 8 or 10 guards, then they stop coming, leaving him to cross the bridge whipping forward the flaming hearts thrown by MR.

When I play the guards never stop coming, and I can't cross the bridge and reach MR while having to whip both forwards and backward (as the guards keep chasing me from behind).

Is there something I'm not doing to make the guards stop appearing?

"Whip the Thuggee guards!"
John Cunningham (JTC)
cosumel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: Question re: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Post by cosumel »

Weehawk wrote:Watching one of Ray Atkinson's impresssive performances on the game I noticed that before he crosses the rope bridge to reach Mola Ram he whips about 8 or 10 guards, then they stop coming, leaving him to cross the bridge whipping forward the flaming hearts thrown by MR.

When I play the guards never stop coming, and I can't cross the bridge and reach MR while having to whip both forwards and backward (as the guards keep chasing me from behind).

Is there something I'm not doing to make the guards stop appearing?
There is a spot at your end of the rope bridge that you keep running back and forth on that triggers MR to 'port back and forth from left to right. Keep this up and the guards will get locked out. Turn up your volume and listen as you run over that spot, MR will "Velcome" you. The guards will stop after a while. You have no danger there. The guards will not hit you if you whip them, and the heart disappers when you move right over the spot. The more you hit, the better your score.

P.S. Thanks for the compliment. Maybe I'll have to go chasing your scoresoon, huh \:D/
Ray
"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers.
You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." - Naguib Mahfouz
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

cosumel wrote:P.S. Thanks for the compliment. Maybe I'll have to go chasing your scoresoon, huh
I'd like to learn to play it because I like the theme, but it's really not my type of game. I'm having to force myself.

Really sucking pretty badly at it so far. Nothing for you to worry about for a looooong time I'm afraid.

Also, the bonus for saving the children seems paltry compared to scarfing up the statues at the end. Is it really worth the bother? Does it affect anything else?

In your recording it looked like you were going for perfection just for the sake of complete mastery of the game, but is it worth it - pointwise?
John Cunningham (JTC)
cosumel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Indy!

Post by cosumel »

Is getting all the children worth it?

Actually, it keep MR off your back longer. If you don't get the kids (making you feel better, too), MR keeps getting in your face.
Ray
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

cosumel wrote:Actually, it keep MR off your back longer. If you don't get the kids (making you feel better, too), MR keeps getting in your face.
Yeah, it says save them to delay Mola Ram, I didn't know if it was literal.

Feel better? I'm here for fortune and glory...Mola Ram can have the rugrats. :twisted:
John Cunningham (JTC)
cosumel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by cosumel »

Weehawk wrote:Feel better? I'm here for fortune and glory...Mola Ram can have the rugrats. :twisted:
LOL! I love it! :mrgreen:
Ray
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

Maybe this FAQ will help you if you haven't looked at it already.