The Official "ZTNet Sucks" Thread

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Re: The Official "ZTNet Sucks" Thread

Post by Chad »

backups are being done, they should be safe if the backup works.
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Zwaxy says he has a backup of everything.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Crap. #-o

Thank God Zwaxy is actually and Englishman with relatively large brain... =D>

Hope MARP finds a new home quickly.
GNU
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by GNU »

Too bad...

I hope things will turn out right as soon as possible.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

1 gig of network traffic per day?!?!? that seems a lot more than I expected.

how many hits on MARP per day? around 10,000?
how many hits on the "loads" from uploads page?

while "fancy", consider removing the snapshots from the "loads" page?
someone has show last 1000 scores for that... that's a big page!
if someone wanted to see what a game was they can click the game link to list scores and the snapshot for that particular game to see it.

just my $0.02...try and lessen the MARP footprint some.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

1 gig per day does seem like a lot. I don't think we should change the uploads link, the images have to be there to attract new users. But the existing users who use the uploads link frequently can trigger the no screenshots option in their frequently used shortcut to conserve bandwidth. still 1 gig does seem like a lot maybe it's bot traffic.
-skito
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Yes, 1 Gig...per DAY...seems way too much. Daily visits for example for "loads" was what...30? per day.

Maybe the default for new users for "loads" was more than 50 hits. Or perhaps someone is clicking games starting with "A" and getting hundreds of hits.

Or bots/some programs getting info. Maws has a link "check for highscores" but I doubt that's it. I blame the Chinese.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Chad wrote:1 gig per day does seem like a lot. I don't think we should change the uploads link, the images have to be there to attract new users. But the existing users who use the uploads link frequently can trigger the no screenshots option in their frequently used shortcut to conserve bandwidth. still 1 gig does seem like a lot maybe it's bot traffic.
The default number of search hits displayed was too high. Yes, bots would have been pulling up tremendous numbers of images there.
John Cunningham (JTC)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

http://replay.marpirc.net/

Appears to work well, and seems much faster than ZTNet ever was.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

cool. here's an uploads link that uses no pics if you want to see it that way.

http://replay.marpirc.net/index.cgi?mod ... pic_mode=0

seymore, or someone with sql access to the message board can we get a

update msg_board set text=replace(text,'marp.retrogames.com','replay.marpirc.net');

on the message board messages?
-skito
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

sweet...maybe on the search page instead of the 9999 limit make the max default 500. I can't see someone even wanting 500 really...but it allows for flexibility. I look at either 50 or 100. Recently I redid my system so made new cookies. On doing so, the default uploads would crash on me. I went to the search page and found 9999 results as my default "default" value. I changed that to 100 and the uploads worked again.

just a thought as MARP looks forward...default defaults for new users or old users making new cookies etc.
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

Chad wrote:cool. here's an uploads link that uses no pics if you want to see it that way.

http://replay.marpirc.net/index.cgi?mod ... pic_mode=0

seymore, or someone with sql access to the message board can we get a

update msg_board set text=replace(text,'marp.retrogames.com','replay.marpirc.net');

on the message board messages?
I believe Zwaxy set up a rewrite on marp.retrogames.com so that old links will still work on the new site. If it does become necessary at some point though, I'm sure it could be done then.

It's been quite a while since I did much of anything on the marp site, but yes it does seem a lot faster here than I remembered it on ZTNet.
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net
Zwaxy
MARP Founder

Post by Zwaxy »

Sorry for the downtime folks, and thanks for all the offers of hosting.

I went for seymour's kind offer in the end, and it seems to be working just great. Thanks Chris! The new site is at http://replay.marpirc.net/ though the old address will also take you there for now.

Nothing should have been lost in the migration - I shut the old site down a couple of days before the end of the month to make sure I was able to copy everything across properly. Please let me know if you notice anything that's not right yet. And update your bookmarks in case the retrogames.com URL stops working at some point.

Is it time for a new thread: 'The Official "marpirc.net Sucks" Thread'? :D

Chris.
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

LN2 wrote:sweet...maybe on the search page instead of the 9999 limit make the max default 500. I can't see someone even wanting 500 really...but it allows for flexibility. I look at either 50 or 100. Recently I redid my system so made new cookies. On doing so, the default uploads would crash on me. I went to the search page and found 9999 results as my default "default" value. I changed that to 100 and the uploads worked again.

just a thought as MARP looks forward...default defaults for new users or old users making new cookies etc.
The 9999 limit never worked anyway did it? For a few months I thought the MARP scripts were down before, all I ever got when viewing uploads was 'out of memory'... Took me a while to realise why that was happening, but it was because the cookie was set to request half the database ;-)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

it does work on the new site though....what a waste of resources to download 9999.

it was set as that for my new cookie.

I realized this when I clicked the loads and after about 30 seconds realized it likely was transferring 9999.

I changed it to 100 for myself.
given activity at MARP nowadays, 50 likely ok too.