WCC3 week 6 : QUANTUM

Week Challenge Championship board

Moderator: NotMan

destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

My desription contain: "WCC3. Level 30. No sound. FS 4.". I don't know Phil why you write '[stage ??]'. :?:
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:My desription contain: "WCC3. Level 30. No sound. FS 4.". I don't know Phil why you write '[stage ??]'. :?:
Your original upload did not include the "Level 30" in the description.

He obviously saw that and either you were both allowed to edit independently, or one of you edited without noticing the other's edit.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Dax
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Dax »

destructor wrote:Mega crash game. Never more old stupid classic games.
What What???!?!?!?!?

Ive had more fun this week playing this "Stupid classic" than I have in any previous weeks. This game is awesome. A 1982 Atari original stupid?!?!? Or is it only stupid because its not your strong suit?

Don't listen to him Phil. He's crazy. Or maybe just young. Keep the classics coming. Many of us appreciate them greatly.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:Sometimes cursor turn other side than I want or trace disappear when it not should disappear.
Welcome to the wonderful world of analog overflow.
LN2 (in another thread) wrote:Oh yes...I forgot to note that...you can "overload" the input..where it gets out of range so then has that kind of result for many games. It makes it hard for some games...for example in centipede...if I move the mouse smoothly and not too fast then it tracks very well..but if I extremely quickly move from left-to-right for example, the result is the control actually goes a little to the left or just stays in pace and jitters.
The issue is also discussed at:

http://tinyurl.com/phgw (thanks Buttermaker)

In the arcade, we had the physical limit of how fast the trackball could be spun. In MAME we are freed from that constraint. We can move the mouse with almost unlimited speed. This allows us to run into the electronic limit discussed above. Whether or not they happen to allow the same speed of movement in the game is coincidental.

I do not remember playing Quantum in the arcade, but I know in Centipede I could move the shooter faster in the arcade than appears to be possible in MAME. It changes the nature of the game.
destructor wrote:This problems I don't have in mame61(standard).
Wow. I'll have to try it. If it's the same for me, I may come back to this game after the WCC crowd leaves. I'll see if it improves performance on Centipede too.
John Cunningham (JTC)
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

Dax wrote:
What What???!?!?!?!?

Ive had more fun this week playing this "Stupid classic" than I have in any previous weeks. This game is awesome. A 1982 Atari original stupid?!?!? Or is it only stupid because its not your strong suit?

Don't listen to him Phil. He's crazy. Or maybe just young. Keep the classics coming. Many of us appreciate them greatly.
Pole position, donkey kong, pacman - this is classic
this vector game is lame :(
my definition of stupid game? the same stage, the same enemies, the same rules 4 all the game way :(
sorry dudes - dont like it
phils old arcade choice is good but not this same
game over 4 me 4 this round
It's good 2 be here with U guys :)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Dax wrote:Don't listen to him Phil. He's crazy. Or maybe just young. Keep the classics coming. Many of us appreciate them greatly.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I sorta wish there was a site like MARP devoted to games from the golden era which, in my view started circa 1978 (with Space Invaders) and ended circa 1984 (with Kung Fu Master).

Perhaps at some point MARP could have a tournament for classic games only...... :-k
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Weehawk wrote:
destructor wrote:My desription contain: "WCC3. Level 30. No sound. FS 4.". I don't know Phil why you write '[stage ??]'. :?:
Your original upload did not include the "Level 30" in the description.

He obviously saw that and either you were both allowed to edit independently, or one of you edited without noticing the other's edit.
I only thought that my inp playback incorrectly. It's my first recorded inp (and maybe last).
Game is very simple but there is something wrong with mouse control. On mame61 I without any problems came to stage 31-32 each time, on alphamame70 I came to stage 30 only one time, on wolf72 I came only to stage 28 :?
I will try again on alpha70 but there now some bad man made difficult control over mouse :)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Dax wrote:
What What???!?!?!?!?

I can play on each game with no mouse or mouse control (look Reactor) but game must work correctly. :(

Congratulation Dax. This round is your. Probably if control over mouse would was correct you would make higher score, probably higher from Roncli's score.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:I can play on each game with no mouse or mouse control (look Reactor) but game must work correctly.
Doesn't work any better for me in mame61...damn...you got my hopes up there.
destructor wrote:Congratulation Dax. This round is your. Probably if control over mouse would was correct you would make higher score, probably higher from Roncli's score.
If none of you hotshots can take out ron(42%)cli's score, I would ask that the editors analyze his inp to check for any objective evidence that it was not played at regulation speed.

viewtopic.php?t=9251
John Cunningham (JTC)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

My first guess on Ron's inp is he likely leeched to a degree on all the earlier stages. it would be nice to know what stage he reached though.

That's different versus you WCC guys playing just to reach a later stage and not about score that much....especially if you are starting at stage 9 instead of stage 1.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Weehawk wrote: I sorta wish there was a site like MARP devoted to games from the golden era which, in my view started circa 1978 (with Space Invaders) and ended circa 1984 (with Kung Fu Master).

Perhaps at some point MARP could have a tournament for classic games only...... :-k
I think Snipercade's Decathalon fits that criteria... well, most of it.

Wooooooo let's play Galaga and Ms. Pacman in a tournament AGAIN!!!!!

even if I don't really like most of the games chosen for WCC, I do give Phil props for trying something different and throwing a lot of obscure games into the mix, instead of the same tired games that are in every Deca
Dax
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Dax »

LN2 wrote:it would be nice to know what stage he reached though.

According to his discription he got to stage 42. His score of 150,000 is right in line with that stage in the game without leeching.

Im not sure how to leech this game efficiently/indefinately. You can eliminate all the atoms but one and try capturing foreign particles. Doing this causes your cursor to grow in size and particles speed up so much they're impossible to capture. You're just forced to advance to the next stage. For me the difference between a leeched game and a normal game isn't much and not worth the trouble.
Last edited by Dax on Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

You don't see any difference between play on wolf72 and mame61 Weehawk?Strange.
Weehawk wrote: If none of you hotshots can take out ron(42%)cli's score, I would ask that the editors analyze his inp to check for any objective evidence that it was not played at regulation speed.
What? What analyze? I look his inp (not one time) and play his method. Very good method and very good inp but fatal finish :wink: I learn this method in 1/2 hour and make score 100k on stage 30 in next 1/2 hour. :)
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

Weehawk wrote:
Dax wrote:Don't listen to him Phil. He's crazy. Or maybe just young. Keep the classics coming. Many of us appreciate them greatly.
I sorta wish there was a site like MARP devoted to games from the golden era which, in my view started circa 1978 (with Space Invaders) and ended circa 1984 (with Kung Fu Master).

I agree, often I don't like Golden Age games because of their harsh commands and gameplay. But this one is very cool. Commands are smooth and with a good mouse, I can play and replay all the night. It's not the case with all games, even with the most recents.

Thanks Phil for show us this game :)

Francois
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

Weehawk wrote:I sorta wish there was a site like MARP devoted to games from the golden era which, in my view started circa 1978 (with Space Invaders) and ended circa 1984 (with Kung Fu Master).
Yup, the scrolling platform game concept marked the end of the Golden Era.