WCC3 week 5 : PUSHMAN

Week Challenge Championship board

Moderator: NotMan

Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

Abbe wrote:Why not join the WCC, Rick, and defend your first place.
Phil Lamat wrote:version to use : any alphamame70 or wolf72
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Abbe wrote:Sorry if I offended you. It was not my meaning. I didn't compare my score to yours in any way.
I didn't see it that way at all and wasn't offended at all. You were giving the impression the game is very easy....which versus many other games perhaps it is to a degree cuz for most levels once you figure out a nice pattern to complete it, then it's fairly trivial to do it in future games.

I was letting you and others know that isn't exactly the case once you get to level 5....especially 5-4 with that 1 move that I only did once in about 25+ tries in continuing the game to try and find a way to make that move easier.....didn't find anything to make it easier....just extremely critical timing of the move to make it.

it's one of those games that to get 95% of my score might not take more than a few nights of playing it...but to get the last 5% will take much longer than the first 95% took.

If what I got wasn't good for 1st place I likely would have kept playing it until I finally got a game where I got past that spot in 5-4 so I could finish the game. It's been so long since I played it I don't know if I would play it again if someone does complete the game and beat my score this week.
Not everyone is out to get you, you know. :)
I know...only Novice is....and he is out to get everyone else in the world it seems. :P
My problem is that if I manage to pull it off correctly, the game hangs at the same spot every time. Mame is still working, but the game freezes up. Did this happen to you too?
I vaguely remember the game freezing on me a couple times there...but figured it was where I screwed up....not some bug from doing something specific you might repeat...but if you found that...great. Just avoid doing whatever makes it freeze. hehe
Why not join the WCC, Rick, and defend your first place. It's a good oppurtunity to be the first to finish the game too.
Cuz the WCC, Deca etc. type events are only for PC players only as they require using a pc-mame like tgmame or wolfmame etc.

If we ever get a port of that to mac where the replay file format is consistent and works for every game then it could be allowed also...but I highly doubt that day will ever come. A port of wolfmame might come someday but it would take a lot of work to deal with the endian issues in game CPU emulations to make pseudo-random number generation for many games work out exactly the same on macs vs pcs.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I still say X-MAME would be the way to go. Skito is working on an X11 version, and I'm sure he could cross-compile a Mac version if he wished to. As for performance issues, I really can't understand why there isn't any decent video hardware acceleration.

Word is, that Linux can run MAME with hardware acceleration faster than Windows. Guess my system can't be set up just right, because I don't get that.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Abbe
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Abbe »

It's time to go to work, marp is still down, and the 24 hours are running out. Since I won't have the time to play much this week I will upload my submission here.

It is finished and once you practice stage 5 it isn't terribly hard. Some of the screens do take some timing to clear, though. I haven't watched your or anyone else's games yet, so I don't really know what problems you had at 5-4. If you watch my game you have a pattern that isn't very hard to do. The only difficult spot is the one in the upper left corner.

There's still a lot of optimization to do and I didn't kill the last boss either. Shooting the bosses was the most time consuming thing to learn, by the way. Found safe spots or patterns for all but the last. Would be nice to see if there is a special ending if you manage to kill him too.

Anyway, here it is. The score is 337 900. No sound.
-Abbe
Abbe
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Abbe »

LN2 wrote:
Abbe wrote:Why not join the WCC, Rick, and defend your first place. It's a good oppurtunity to be the first to finish the game too.
Cuz the WCC, Deca etc. type events are only for PC players only as they require using a pc-mame like tgmame or wolfmame etc.
I am aware that you are using macmame and that you get a performance hit when running pc-mame under VPC. But all of the games in WCC, so far at least, hasn't been very demanding when it comes to processor speed. Even I can run them at 100% on my crappy home computer, even though I had to use frameskip 9 on mutantf, and turn off sound on some games.

But perhaps even these games takes to much power out of your machine when run under VPC, I couldn't tell. Let's hope there will be an wolfmame for mac sometime in the future.
-Abbe
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Abbe wrote:If you watch my game you have a pattern that isn't very hard to do. The only difficult spot is the one in the upper left corner.
having patterns to get through the last few boards in Pushman wasn't the issue for me. It was the timing of that one move through what I called the gauntlet. i'm sure you know the spot. There is only 1 way through it. Maybe you have it where you time it based on a visual cue I hadn't noticed..which makes timing it easier.

It's not like I tried it many many times also. I first played the game using continues to just get through all the levels...when I got to 5-4 it took me many many attempts...25+ I think....before I finally got through it ok that first time.

Then when I played it recording and played to that point then died not getting past it I submitted my score and haven't played it again since. It was good for 1st place at the time so I didn't feel any motivation to actually continue to try it a few more times until I got past that.
The score is 337 900.
That's not bad...what was your score at that hard spot in 5-4? I'm not sure I had as much as you cuz I don't remember the last couple of levels after 5-4 resulting in that much score....so you might be more optimized on the earlier levels than you think you are.

Congrats....figured you likely would do it. I played it 4-5 hours 1 evening and that was it...not a week.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Abbe wrote:
Talking about level 5, I got a pattern for 5-2, the second screen with invisible walls. My problem is that if I manage to pull it off correctly, the game hangs at the same spot every time. Mame is still working, but the game freezes up. Did this happen to you too?
Fucked game. Screen freeze on 5-2 and I must begin whole game from stage 1-1. :evil:
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

another identical round 4 me :)
everyone is in story 5 and i m in story 3 :)
and like the previous round its end of wednesday and i still havent got and inp 2 post :)

i m happy :)
It's good 2 be here with U guys :)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Tomorrow last day round 5. Anybody can't submit inp because ZTNet is crash. Where send inps? Here to forum? Maybe wait to repair ZTNet? if yes then what with rule 24h? What in this situation Phil?
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:Tomorrow last day round 5. Anybody can't submit inp because ZTNet is crash. Where send inps? Here to forum? Maybe wait to repair ZTNet? if yes then what with rule 24h? What in this situation Phil?
My suggestion:

Extend the limit for submissions to at least 24 hours following the return of MARP. Maybe even a whole extra week, assuming MARP is even up by then.

The 24 hour rule shouldn't apply to any recordings made while MARP was down, the 21st through 25th of September (so far :cry: )
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Extra week is for long to one game. Play on one game by two weeks isn't good idea. I'm very tired. What if ZTNet will crash again in next week?
Send here is probably one good idea.
But Phil is coordinator and his word is important :wink:
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:Extra week is for long to one game. Play on one game by two weeks isn't good idea. I'm very tired. What if ZTNet will crash again in next week?
Send here is probably one good idea.
But Phil is coordinator and his word is important :wink:
What if ZTNet is not up again by next week?

I doubt if Phil will want to run the entire contest through the forum, but as you point out, that's up to him.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

This round will end tomorrow friday at 23:59gmt as usual.

If the site is still down, then submit your score there on the forum with an attached file.

In case of site crash, I agree not to watch over release dates
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

The scripts should be back up again. Log files have been chopped, and debugging switched off for real this time. (Yes, this means that Rick was right for once)

Hung scripts still need to be killed by the ZTNet admins however, so that they can continuously run on the correct server. Zwaxy is right this moment working adding a timeout system so that scripts won't hang again.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

mahlemuit wrote:Yes, this means that Rick was right for once
Ha! So he does have "amazing knowledge", and Novice isn't the only one "WHO KNOWS IT"!

:lol:

mahlemuit wrote:Hung scripts still need to be killed by the ZTNet admins however, so that they can continuously run on the correct server.
Or they could at least respond to Zwaxy's emails in less than five days!

Who cares? It's working!

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Dance, fools!
John Cunningham (JTC)