Can we PLEASE put up a warning sign on Marp?

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

QRS
Editor

Can we PLEASE put up a warning sign on Marp?

Post by QRS »

I know that The NVRAM issue is mentioned on the rules page, and there has been a vote etc, but why are people still sending up scores wich has to be playbacked with the correct NVRAM etc?

The answer (in my humble opinion) is easy.. That rule (And the rules page too is hard to find for newbies here at marp, so can any of you editors or the next web guy here at MARP please put up a "Warning sign" where everyone can see it?
On the Frontpage maybe? (Just an example)

I don´t know if it is only me that is getting quite irritated on submissions that needs NVRAM when it is not allowed, but we can´t only blame the uploaders for that as long as you have to seach through the whole MARP site (Wich is not so easy ) to find a rule etc.

Just an example here: I follow Marp´s news, I am a regular at #marp but still I didn´t find out about the NVRAM Issue until at least 1 month after it was not voted about. What did I miss? Maybe the news or the board for a few days, or a few days off from #marp ..

Also add the fact that alot of people have no idea what NVRAM is ever if they can upload game etc.
You see my point? If I miss such things, it will not be easy for those guys that drops in once in a month and upload a score :)

What we really need is Big sign where everyone can see it wich says" READ THIS BEFORE YOU UPLOAD A GAME"
After that thing is done, a newbie has no excuse for a recording wich still needs the NVRAM :)

Just my two cents.

Regards
Last edited by QRS on Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QRS
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

Hi QRS

If they take the 'If you're new to MARP, click here' link on the frontpage they are guided directly to the rules. However, it seems that it still doesn't work :D

Bye.
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Frankie wrote: If they take the 'If you're new to MARP, click here' link on the frontpage they are guided directly to the rules. However, it seems that it still doesn't work :D

Bye.
Yeah I know Frankie, but like you say, no one seems to bother/notice that link anyway...
Cheers
QRS
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

SHAME! SHAME! :wink:
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by JoustGod »

A suggestion. When a player attempts to upload an .inp that has nvram issues, perhaps it could be recognized at that point and another page could come up before the upload begins that the player would have to verify that he has complied with MARP's nvram ruling for that game via a check box.

Also, the nvram ruling should appear when viewing scores for games affected by that ruling. Or is that already in place?

JoustGod
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Mentioning "signs", um, when will PLscores be broken up/talked to? I mean, if we just let them do that, "Team2ch" (Japan) could do the same, right?
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

I really find it strange that Skito nor Barry bothers to answer this post. After all you two are the most active confirmers arround here. (At least among the editors) so you should be more than happy to get less people uploading scores with the "Delete NV" in the description....

You have gotten suggestions, now please have a look at it.
I really like Joustgods idea about this. It´s much better than my own idea.

Ahh todays first example :)
"<LazyBitch> MARP Score Upload Notice : Timmykins scored 116100 on gunbustr - Gunbuster (Japan) (Position 2) : Level 1 score. Del NV"

ps I will not bother you all about this if there is lack of interest in the matter. Just don´t say I didn´t try to do something :)

Cheers
QRS
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

And I bet that it'd still happen. Some people just have no clue at all, no matter how many times they have read it.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

yeah, i'm sure more than 90% of the people who first come to this site (as i was) are just so jazzed with being able to playback recordings of games that they overlook the consequences of quality testing. The problem is enhanced when the nvram directory is created automatically unziping mame and recordings will usually playback correctly the first time with an existing nvram. It might help a little bit to have more of a warning but if it's in a link labeled HELP or RULES it proly won't be looked at untill the 3rd or 4th upload for most new comers...
Last edited by Chad on Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Stupidity doesn't help either. :)

Explains why there are at least a couple of posts on the official MAME forum each week, where someone complains that MAME just shows a DOS box quickly and then exits.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer