Jr. Pac Man

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Jr. Pac Man

Post by roncli »

I'm trying to get Rick's 400K+ recording of Jr. Pac Man to run. It was recorded in DOS 35b13. Unfortunately, I have no luck getting that version of MAME to work anywhere. It dies after the soundcard selection. If I try Mame32, I get a 4-digit score.

Any ideas on getting this to play back right? I'm not sure what I need, if I need the old ROMs, or if I need to do something to make DOS 35b13 work on 2K or XP.
-roncli
[Poor sig. :P --SarcasmCli]
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

please specify the url from marp of the recording so there's more of a chance people will try it. It's relativley easy to do this Right click on the inp.zip file at marp and then drop down to Copy ShortCut or Copy Link location and then paste that into your message here.
-skito
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

this recording playsback fine with dos mame, with or with out sound, no throttling, FS11, and in windows98. You also need the old rom (with pacman.spr and such.)

http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/rf_jrpac ... m35b13.zip
Last edited by Chad on Tue May 21, 2002 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
-skito
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

No such luck under XP or 2K unfortunately. I get a GPF when I try to run with a sound blaster, failed to initialize audio when running Windows Audio, and a no message crash out with no sound. :(
-roncli
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

this is windows glorious backwards incompatability statement, damn rich bastards. it doesn't work in XP for me too. my main reason to get a triple boot system was to ensure XP didn't make me not run anything, and so far i Must run dos mame, cool edit 2000 (for realtime multiple audio stream mixing), and other dos games, in windows 98 ONLY. xp can not handle everything, it's surprising a new program (cool edit) can't be handled by xp... and i suspect i'll find a lot of my old favorites i havent tried yet must be run on win98 too.

I've tried using free sb16 emulation drivers for XP but they don't work it's XP complete backwards incompatibilty that is ruining the computing experience. I guess they thought it would be better to take out some of the compatibilty they were trying to keep in 98 with dos, and they sure made a lot more stable operating system (yeah right...)
-skito
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

SHIT!!! Cool Edit 2K doesn't run on WinXP right? Dammit, that's the main proggy I record with... Guess I'll have to settle for Sound Forge.

Well, I have one machine possible I can try it on, but it's in pieces at the moment. I'll have to play around with it some time... Thanx for the help!
-roncli
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

i might have been a bit overexagerating. cool edit does "work" if you record or playback one stream, but for me (and a lot of other users with dual cpus) it skips in windows XP when playing back multi track sessions where two or more wavs are played back at the same time.

http://forums.syntrillium.com/topic.asp ... ound+Cards

works ok in windows98
Last edited by Chad on Wed May 22, 2002 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-skito
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

Ahhh... Only one CPU here... :)
-roncli
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

I hate DOS MAME. MAMEW was the best thing that happened. :) Whee..