Where do get full versions of older mames??

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

RichyCream
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Where do get full versions of older mames??

Post by RichyCream »

I CANNOT play back any INP's recorded on anything before .58. Downloading the exe's doesn't help at all when you have mame32 .59, not to mention it usually says "the file is corrupted" when i go to extract them. Anyone know a site where i can download full older versions? I wish people would stop using old versions to make recent recordings. Whats the point of making them if no one can watch them?
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Some of the people use older versions because their computers aren't that fast, or the current versions do not play some games back correctly. http://www.mame.net has majority of the DOS/MAMEW stuff, and http://www.mame.dk has some of the MAME32's only back until MAME .36 Final I believe, and all the dos/MAMEW until MAME .36 final. Maybe someone will post on where to get even older versions than that...Usually the links on the pages work when I want to watch old recordings, so I don't know what's up there for you..
BBH
Editor

Re: Where do get full versions of older mames??

Post by BBH »

RichyCream wrote:I wish people would stop using old versions to make recent recordings. Whats the point of making them if no one can watch them?
And I wish you would stop whining, but not every wish comes true apparently.

as Joey mentioned, sometimes older versions are used because playback is more reliable with them... or because their computers are too slow to run some games at 100% speed. I rarely get 100% speed on Neo-Geo games on fskp 0 on the newest release, so why should I use that when there's an older version that runs it better?

And keep in mind that a few years (or even months) down the road, mame59 isn't going to be the newest version out there. So does it really matter what version is used? If you don't have a certain version of MAME, that's not the recorder's fault.
RichyCream
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by RichyCream »

BBH wrote:
RichyCream wrote:I wish people would stop using old versions to make recent recordings. Whats the point of making them if no one can watch them?
And I wish you would stop whining, but not every wish comes true apparently.

as Joey mentioned, sometimes older versions are used because playback is more reliable with them... or because their computers are too slow to run some games at 100% speed. I rarely get 100% speed on Neo-Geo games on fskp 0 on the newest release, so why should I use that when there's an older version that runs it better?

And keep in mind that a few years (or even months) down the road, mame59 isn't going to be the newest version out there. So does it really matter what version is used? If you don't have a certain version of MAME, that's not the recorder's fault.
Me whining? No one on this board whines more than you BBH. If it's not about Hisa kicking you ass, then it's something else.

And it DOES matter what versions people use, for obvious reasons which it seems you still need help with. Newbies to the board will NOT have old version of mame. If new players want to view recordings that were submitted on old versions they are screwed. It should be mandatory to submit all recordings on the latest version or at least the one prior with exceptions for games that may not work at all on the latest version. As far as having a slow computer, thats what the dos versions are for. I have no sympathy for people with this problem anyway, it is 2002 for God's sake, if you're still on a p3 then it's no ones fault but your own.

Whats up with the stupid pic of Ultragirl by the way? I never knew you were a small oriental girl? haha Maybe you and Hisa should date!
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

And it DOES matter what versions people use, for obvious reasons which it seems you still need help with. Newbies to the board will NOT have old version of mame. If new players want to view recordings that were submitted on old versions they are screwed. It should be mandatory to submit all recordings on the latest version or at least the one prior with exceptions for games that may not work at all on the latest version. As far as having a slow computer, thats what the dos versions are for. I have no sympathy for people with this problem anyway, it is 2002 for God's sake, if you're still on a p3 then it's no ones fault but your own.
Well, that's a matter of finances, and on really slow PC's like my previous one many games ran to slow even in DOS.

Bye.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Go Frankie! I'm glad you got a new computer, I did also. :)

You know, screw you Cream. Not everyone has the money to spend on a new computer, even if their current computer is a P3. Heck, my old computer is a P2, 233Mhz, and it was mad slow, but some people, like my parents, just don't want to spend money just so I can play MAME. The computer does what they want it to, and that's all that matters to them. I have other things do to besides MAME, that I would like more power for, so I built a new computer. If it was the case where someone was just buying a new computer to play MAME, then it would be quite stupid, unless someone has tons of money to blow. And if you have the money to shove in everyone's faces for new computers, then bust it out. Until then, SHUT THE HELL UP.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

RichyCream wrote:Me whining? No one on this board whines more than you BBH. If it's not about Hisa kicking you ass, then it's something else.
You're the one crying like a bitch, OH NOS I CAN'T FIND OLD VERSIONS OF TEH MAME32 CUZ I SUCK AT THE INTARWEB!
And it DOES matter what versions people use, for obvious reasons which it seems you still need help with. Newbies to the board will NOT have old version of mame. If new players want to view recordings that were submitted on old versions they are screwed.
You have missed my point entirely. What about all the games that were submitted on in the past with versions that were new at the time? There are some very old but good recordings that were recorded with what was newest at the time, but obviously they're not new any more. According to you, we should probably dump every recording on the site every time a new MAME comes out, right?
It should be mandatory to submit all recordings on the latest version or at least the one prior with exceptions for games that may not work at all on the latest version.
Start a poll then. Doesn't matter though, since nearly everyone would vote against it anyway. If you don't like the rules on MARP, go start your own recording site. Dipshit.
As far as having a slow computer, thats what the dos versions are for. I have no sympathy for people with this problem anyway, it is 2002 for God's sake, if you're still on a p3 then it's no ones fault but your own.
I do use DOS versions. And what, do you think I'm a billionaire who can afford to buy a new computer every few months or something? I'm not buying a new PC just to play games, fucktard.
Whats up with the stupid pic of Ultragirl by the way? I never knew you were a small oriental girl? haha Maybe you and Hisa should date!
What the fuck is your problem? You're running out of arguments so you start ripping on my avatar? You're fucking pathetic. In summary,

mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

RichyCream wrote:As far as having a slow computer, thats what the dos versions are for. I have no sympathy for people with this problem anyway, it is 2002 for God's sake, if you're still on a p3 then it's no ones fault but your own.
While it's true that the DOS version of MAME is the fastest, it's certainly not by much. Both Win32 builds (console and MAME32), as well as XMAME (X11 build) are very close to the DOS version.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by AL »

Amazingly, me + Richy share two common passions . Beer and games , but thats about it . Even if I borrowed a 'Hair-Bear Bunch' wig , I'd have NO chance of scoring with that piece of 'Fuck-Off Pussy' .

But two out of three ain't bad......, and that is one seriously vicious looking
domesticated cat ( sorry , Pussy ) , caught with his / her mouth wide open .

BTW , MAME 36 Final rules......so does beer , apparently.

burp.....

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

RichyCream wrote: Whats up with the stupid pic of Ultragirl by the way? I never knew you were a small oriental girl? haha Maybe you and Hisa should date!
WOW!Richy the hermaphrodite talk!!! :twisted:
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

WHAT FUCK!!! :twisted: :evil:
QRS
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: RE

Post by mahlemiut »

QRS wrote:WHAT FUCK!!! :twisted: :evil:
How did I know that was coming? :)
- Barry Rodewald
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I prefer to use 34,35,and 36final versions whenever possible, trying to keep playback as simple as possible. Man I hate these beta versions. Like Al said, 36 rocks.

What comes to rest of this conversation, (insert foul word here)!
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Not me. I prefer the more recent MAME versions, simply because he mamew core runs far better than the DOS or MAME32 (pre-b15) versions.

Also, you do know that there is basically no difference between final versions and the betas, right?
- Barry Rodewald
MKL
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by MKL »

Beer rules...