Thunder-DF's Zed Blade score

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

BBH
Editor

Thunder-DF's Zed Blade score

Post by BBH »

can anyone get this to work? sound on it loses sync on Stage 3 for me, sound off it loses sync on Stage 2. using DOS m36b8.

http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/bsa_zedb ... _m36b8.zip
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

got it to playback fine with sound on, fs11, throttling and dos mame36b8 but i only tried once. I tried with sound off and it got 1Mill something.

ym2203opl = yes
ym3812opl = no
oplfm = no
-skito
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

hmm... I tried those OPL settings, but same thing happened... loses sync on Stage 3 around 1.58 million. :?
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

zip sums of working exe

1783828 Defl:N 1746111 2% 10-30-99 21:23 7132dfcf M36b8.exe

and if it matters

samplerate = 22050
samplebits = 8
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

"Off-network linking of images and downloads is not permitted" Thanks a lot, ZTNet. :evil:
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

I was using samplerate 44100, samplebits 8... I tried that too, and AGAIN it loses sync on Stage 3.

and Barry just said on IRC that it's breaking in the same spot for him too. What else could it be that we're missing? :?
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

never freakin mind, i can't make it playback again... tried 6 times i got 1.1mil for sound off attempts and 1.5mil for sound on attemps. the time i got it to playback i tried once with sound off and once with sound on and it went right to advertised 3M score. also tried no throttling and fs0ing, the time i got it to playback i was changing frameskip and throttling constantly.

gotta be a random thing.
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

If it were a random thing, wouldn't you be getting different results for each attempt on the same settings? Just a thought.
- Barry Rodewald
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

possibly, but if the seed was getting values from a thing that didn't change often (the hour # of the clock) you might get the same result one hour and a different result the next. or if the program only used a "few" bits of the random numbers to change things thus it would be more likely to match the wrong thing that it would be to match the ring thing.

either of these is unlikely. it is strange why i get the same result now no matter how many times i try. and i can't get bbh's nam175 to playback either.
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I would say that if a game is going to use the clock for a random seed, then it's likely to use at least the seconds, or even better the whole date and time and convert it into some sort of longer number.

More likely may be the use of some internal CPU register for determining the random seed, like the R (refresh) register on the Z80.
- Barry Rodewald
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

actually it might be using the full seconds of time but the random number generator may eonly care more about the higher bits changing in the seed to make different random numbers. either way, i can't explain why i was able to play it back once and now i can't play it back and i changed no configuration file/setting that i can remember, will keep trying.

I'm in the mood to put any recordings that playback sometimes, even if they playback completely in the delete category as random no playback inps... anyone else agree or dis?
-skito
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Recording in question zeroed out. since no one can play it back reliably.
-skito
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

He made this score on my computer, in my home, ok. I saw, but how can I proove?? No way.

but I´m using the same MAME. Why my play, playback good and the playback of my cousing, THUNDER, don´t playback?? we like the version 36b8 because run more better than other versions like the newst mame56, 57 or 58 and 59. :x

And this isn´t a problem with nvram.... In my computer, never more I´ve saw his playback. Like BBH told, stops on 3rd level. What´s the FINAL solution?? Use another emulator and stops to use 36b8 for this game?? thanks. :wink:
Long life to good games
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

INNUENDO wrote: And this isn´t a problem with nvram.... In my computer, never more I´ve saw his playback. Like BBH told, stops on 3rd level. What´s the FINAL solution?? Use another emulator and stops to use 36b8 for this game?? thanks. :wink:
m35tg3 is even better to use for it...