List: Games that require specific options to playback

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

List: Games that require specific options to playback

Post by Chad »

Many of marps inps can be playedback with sound and with out the nvram directory with out much trouble. Of course the word playbackability wouldn't exist with out playback problems. This topic and all it's post replies should be used to describe games that have problems with playback but CAN be played back with known specifications. This topic will be here to store this precious information, because usually this information is inserted into the text of recordings by editors for the games in question, but the comments are subsumed when the recorder uploads again. For brevity instead of posting a new reply with a new specific game option to add, edit your previous post if you have one. This information may also be stored in the "special rules" for each game, but this is a way everyone can contribute to the general playbackability of recordings.

*** Games that must be played back with Frameskip 0

DECO Cassette games: cprobow cmissnx castfant etc...
superbug

*** Games that must be played back with specific frameskip

moonwar (frameskip 6) moonwara
outfxies (frameskip 6)

*** Games that must be recorded with no sound

Leland games (the games you usually enter your initials and date of birth before playing)
attaxx

*** Games that must played back with the same platform used in recording (most games you can record in windows and playback in dos and vice versa, these are games that must be played back in windows when recorded in windows etc...)

guwange
drgpunch
tapper
raidenk (win98se)
nightstr (win98se)

*** Games that playback with different platform

hunchbak (if recorded in dos mame37b10 it only played back in win37b10 mame frameskip 0)

sidearjp (appears to crash when playing back win59 version) works in dosmame59

*** Games which require special options

tetrisp2 (must be played back with same -ctrlr option as when recorded with)

*** Games which need to be playedback in same windows operating system (98 vs XP) as recorded

kick
mazinger (98/xp)
rampage (98/xp)

*** Games which require special versions to playback

The mame63 bug lists games that need mame62 or earlier or mame75 or later viewtopic.php?p=23845#23845
The Sega games need version m33b4 or mame58 or later.
Last edited by Chad on Mon May 24, 2004 2:18 pm, edited 14 times in total.
-skito
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

If I am not mistaken, my dfeveron recording would not playback when I recorded with sound on and played it back with sound on or sound off, it would only work if I recorded it with sound off and played it back with sound off. Not sure if this applies to all versions of MAME and if it happens all the time.
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

1. Frameskip 0
drifto94
gunbulet/ptblank
numanath
(system1.c games)
zeropnt

2. Must be recorded without sound
(?)

3. Requires same platform
pipedrm
solomon
timelimt

(Note: the following games uses rand() function in the source but I haven't tested them.Let me know if some of them are wrong...)

airbustr
(balsente.c games)
ccastles
centiped
ddrible
drifto94
galaxian
galpanic
grchamp
gridlee
(itech8.c & itech32.c games)
(kaneko16.c games)
(metro.c games)
(namcona1.c games)
othldrby
(pacman.c games)
polyplay
(psikyo.c games)

4. Default Nvram needed
cosmopzl
mmaze
mia

5. Other
(some system16.c & system18.c games requires mame_36 or below for playing them decently.
Examples)
astormbl
bodyslam
fpointbl
goldnaxa
hangon
hwchamp
outrun
passsht
quartet
sdi(m36b8 for this)
shangon
shdancer
tturf
wb3
wrestwar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iganinju
Requires M36b8 version ONLY ,for playing it correctly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kncljoe:
Requires Main Z80 CPU speed set to 6 Mhz,in order to avoid the "Freeze" bug

Stop,for now :)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

JoeyL21988 wrote:If I am not mistaken, my dfeveron recording would not playback when I recorded with sound on and played it back with sound on or sound off, it would only work if I recorded it with sound off and played it back with sound off. Not sure if this applies to all versions of MAME and if it happens all the time.
Yes, most games on Cave hardware require no sound to playback correctly, unless an older version of MAME was used. Versions around 0.37 beta 13 (and older) require the same sample rate to be used for those that, as far as I can tell, use the YMZ280B for sound.

So far, only Donpachi and Metamoqester haven't had any playback problems that I am aware of.

And Kale, whose bright idea was it to use the rand() function in an emulator? Not exactly accurate emulation to be honest.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

the mid-80's Sega/Coreland games, where playback has to be done using the same frameskip that was used to record with (and the frameskip can't be altered during recording or it breaks). i.e. if it's recorded on fskp 0, you must leave it on fskp 0 for the duration of the recording.

Sega Ninja/Ninja Princess
Choplifter
My Hero?
Teddyboy Blues
Brain?
Mr. Viking?

I think there are others but those are the only ones that come to mind right now
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

knckhead

Post by Chad »

knckhead canot be recorded (and playedback) using mamew or mame32 for versions after mame56. mame crashes. And this games doesn't appear to playback when dos mame is used, even though it plays ok and doesn't crash. (you read my thoughts while i was editing!)
Last edited by Chad on Mon Mar 25, 2002 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-skito
BBH
Editor

Re: knckhead

Post by BBH »

Chad wrote:knckhead canot be recorded (and playedback) using mamew or mame32 for versions after mame56. mame crashes.
actually I don't think ANY version of DOS MAME works correctly. even the ones before mame56...
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

I don't agree when it comes to knckhead playbackability. I've confirmed SPerrault score of 67.700 which was recorded with MAME32 - 58. I also played it back with that version of MAME 32.

Also I've made a new recording (not yet uploaded, BTW BBH, thanks for showing me some tactics :D ) with MAME 32 - 59 which playbacks fine.

I think that BBH might have a problem with that specific game on newer versions of MAME.

Bye.
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

Hi Skito

I didn't know there were 2 versions of MAME32 - 58. My version does not crash. Anyway, I've just uploaded my MAME32 - 59 recording of knckhead. Please try it out.

So, if my version of MAME32 - 58 does not crash it shouldn't be capable of playing back knckhead, right? Still I playbacked SPerrault's recording. I'm confused (as always, Ed) :D

Bye.
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

Game that requires Service Mode(F2) "On" at startup(1):

All atarisy1-sy2 games(i.e 720,rampart,atetris and so on)

(1)What I mean with this:Run MAME with the game that you want to play(without recording it)press F2(the service button),quit.Now record with the same game,then leave the service mode after some time,then play.

Without the cfg file(or if you want to do it faster)you can try to press F2 at the first play(on the ROM/RAM test),but I don't know if it works too...

Tested with DMAME .36/.61 ,don't know other versions...
negative1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

_defender_

Post by negative1 »

i think this is true for defender (all versions) also,
as thats what made it work for me..

later

| || || | | | |
ne g ati ve 1
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

Must be played back at the same frameskip as recorded:

sia2650
tinv2650

These two do not play correctly at anything other than frameskip 0 anyway (shots will go through the invaders).
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

MK2R14 and MK2CHAL have problems to playback too!!!! Here, don´t work. :( :(
Long life to good games
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Taisen Idol-Mahjong Final Romance 2 [fromanc2]: requires -frameskip 0 and/or -noafs to playback correctly in recent MAME versions at least. Does not playback at all in 0.71u1 and later. 0.70 seems fine.

Not sure of the games on the same driver - Taisen Mahjong Final Romance R [fromancr], and Taisen Mahjong Final Romance 4 [fromanc4]. I don't have the ROMs as yet to test these with.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer