Vaz - dsaber -32040

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Vaz - dsaber -32040

Postby PP. » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:02 pm

I m trying to watch Vaz's game in Dragon Saber (http://replay.marpirc.net/r/dsaber) but does not work. Maybe he used a different wolfmame version?

Meanwhile this game gives only 1 life for 1 credit, and 3 lifes for 2 credits. So maybe we should use 2 credits?
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:53 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Vaz - dsaber -32040

Postby giro-X » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:41 pm

PP made a forum account! Wonderful.
Welcome to MARP, where we 99% of the times play with default settings and one credit and the pretty hard Dragon Saber makes no exception, so no, we're going to stick with one life, sorry about that.

Secondly, I love how someone may find interest in viewing a 32K pts score at Dragon Saber... but okay, tastes. This is an off topic personal opinion. It is also true that only good scores for Dragon Saber are from Novice and being 2002 year, they are practically almost impossible to reproduce nowadays... but still, off topic.

Lastly, the INP works (wolf175 is correct) but you're right on score not matching, it desyncs at 5900. Reason #1 is usually related to not removing nvram.

P.S.: for you. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16007
User avatar
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:00 am
Location: Italy

Re: Vaz - dsaber -32040

Postby PP. » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:26 pm

giro-X wrote:Welcome to MARP, where we 99% of the times play with default settings and one credit and the pretty hard Dragon Saber makes no exception, so no, we're going to stick with one life, sorry about that.


Just gave an idea. There are other games in which many credits are allowed, or tricks.

giro-X wrote:Secondly, I love how someone may find interest in viewing a 32K pts score at Dragon Saber... but okay, tastes.


I dont say its interesting, I say its unplayable.

giro-X wrote:It is also true that only good scores for Dragon Saber are from Novice and being 2002 year, they are practically almost impossible to reproduce nowadays...


One life only?

giro-X wrote:Lastly, the INP works (wolf175 is correct) but you're right on score not matching, it desyncs at 5900. Reason #1 is usually related to not removing nvram.


So you checked inp and you see too that is just 5900. But you didnt correct it.

giro-X wrote:P.S.: for you. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16007


Ok, I ve seen that, it was a mistake, I accidentally pressed '6' during game.
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:53 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Vaz - dsaber -32040

Postby giro-X » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:07 pm

My reply is in red
PP. wrote:
giro-X wrote:Welcome to MARP, where we 99% of the times play with default settings and one credit and the pretty hard Dragon Saber makes no exception, so no, we're going to stick with one life, sorry about that.


Just gave an idea. There are other games in which many credits are allowed, or tricks.

Usually inserting more credits, even if discouraged, can be allowed, as far as only the first is used in any case. Plus, there are particular games in which you have limited time for a credit, no matter how good you are at it, and the gameplay is sort of poor for one credit only (see Lemmings, Ataxx, for example).
Dragon Saber is a standard shoot-em up that may be cleared with a single credit (if that's incredibly hard, that's another story), so having one life at the start is still reasonable and doesn't deserve additional rules.


giro-X wrote:Secondly, I love how someone may find interest in viewing a 32K pts score at Dragon Saber... but okay, tastes.


I dont say its interesting, I say its unplayable.

giro-X wrote:It is also true that only good scores for Dragon Saber are from Novice and being 2002 year, they are practically almost impossible to reproduce nowadays...


One life only?

Both replays have been confirmed so they are regular. World versions (both newer and older) have 1 dragon for start, Japanese has 3 as default.

giro-X wrote:Lastly, the INP works (wolf175 is correct) but you're right on score not matching, it desyncs at 5900. Reason #1 is usually related to not removing nvram.


So you checked inp and you see too that is just 5900. But you didnt correct it.

I can't. I'm actually a confirmer, but this means I can only confirm, not edit. We've reported in here, so the first editor who sees this thread will fix.

giro-X wrote:P.S.: for you. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16007


Ok, I ve seen that, it was a mistake, I accidentally pressed '6' during game.

And not just that, you pressed also 5 plenty of times, anyway, I've already written about it so I won't be repeatitive.
User avatar
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:00 am
Location: Italy

Re: Vaz - dsaber -32040

Postby Vaz » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:51 pm

giro-X wrote:Secondly, I love how someone may find interest in viewing a 32K pts score at Dragon Saber... but okay, tastes.


Please bear with my inps, I'm here just to knock down some of the scores of the King of Clones.




(And about this one in particular I actually don't know why it doesn't work, I've set NUL in mame.ini as the default nvram directory)
Last edited by Vaz on Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.vazcomics.org/mamend/ -- MamEnd: when the end is just the beginning...
User avatar
Vaz
Button Masher
Button Masher
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2002 9:02 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Vaz - dsaber -32040

Postby PP. » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:39 pm

giro-X wrote:And not just that, you pressed also 5 plenty of times


Yes, 5 and 6, the keys which give credits. But not on puprose. Because I dont know how this game works, I was pressing random keys in order to get some/any score.


Vaz wrote:Please bear with my inps, I'm here just to knock down some of the scores fo the King of Clones.

(And about this one in particular I actually don't know why it doesn't work, I've set NUL in mame.ini as the default nvram directory)


fo=of?
Who is this King?

About dsaber, as you see its 5900, not 32040. Why dont you edit then? Or make another score?
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:53 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Vaz - dsaber -32040

Postby GJTMarper » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:52 am

PP. wrote: Because I dont know how this game works, I was pressing random keys in order to get some/any score.


Image
GJTMarper
Button Masher
Button Masher
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Vaz - dsaber -32040

Postby giro-X » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:27 pm

Vaz wrote:
giro-X wrote:Secondly, I love how someone may find interest in viewing a 32K pts score at Dragon Saber... but okay, tastes.


Please bear with my inps, I'm here just to knock down some of the scores fo the King of Clones.


It was obvious, and you're not alone. I just find odd that evidently low scores replays are also being checked. In an imaginary world where we all have a lot of free time, we would check every single submitted replay as expression of maximum control, but the fact is, most of the cheapest 1st scores attempts are not even being checked.
Unless we may discover that actually someone does check them all.
This is one of the reasons why I personally dislike massive uploads - there's no time to check them all. Especially if evidently low, they don't catch my interest. I hope you understand my thought.

As I was saying in the original post, this is off topic, and it's personal point of view. So no worries, I'm "bearing". As a bears fanatic, it's easy to bear with things. :lol:
User avatar
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:00 am
Location: Italy

Re: Vaz - dsaber -32040

Postby giro-X » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:29 pm

PP. wrote:
giro-X wrote:And not just that, you pressed also 5 plenty of times


Yes, 5 and 6, the keys which give credits. But not on puprose. Because I dont know how this game works, I was pressing random keys in order to get some/any score.


Eh yeah, I understood it pretty quickly. As you can tell, going too random doesn't help much in anything.
User avatar
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:00 am
Location: Italy

Re: Vaz - dsaber -32040

Postby PP. » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:27 pm

giro-X wrote: I just find odd that evidently low scores replays are also being checked. In an imaginary world where we all have a lot of free time, we would check every single submitted replay as expression of maximum control, but the fact is, most of the cheapest 1st scores attempts are not even being checked.
Unless we may discover that actually someone does check them all.
This is one of the reasons why I personally dislike massive uploads -


You prefer zero score than any score?

You see what happens, I bring an unplayed rom in the index board, and create a new competition in it.
Otherwise it would remain forgotten.
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:53 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Vaz - dsaber -32040

Postby giro-X » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:34 pm

PP. wrote:
giro-X wrote: I just find odd that evidently low scores replays are also being checked. In an imaginary world where we all have a lot of free time, we would check every single submitted replay as expression of maximum control, but the fact is, most of the cheapest 1st scores attempts are not even being checked.
Unless we may discover that actually someone does check them all.
This is one of the reasons why I personally dislike massive uploads -


You prefer zero score than any score?

You see what happens, I bring an unplayed rom in the index board, and create a new competition in it.
Otherwise it would remain forgotten.


HA! Funny.
Rather than checking and confirming some replays, or training in some of mine, here I will dedicate some minutes on writing this post. I'll be shorter than I could do if I were to speak openly and entirely.
Once again I remind to you and all the readers, that it is not my intention to flame anyone, I just want to explain myself.

We really need competition on clones of games that already have big or good scores on it... :roll:
I mean, I understand you are talking of single versions/clones of games that have no score at all, but (and this is personal from user to user) I wonder, some of us wonder, why there is need to compete on every single clone if what changes from clone to clone is only a name, or some sprites, or the language. Beware, I'm not saying we can't do this, I'm just pointing out that it doesn't sound necessary. If you bring up games that are unrelated to other stuff and had no score at all (like... the ugly Lock On by Philko), ok, sometimes it works (after all, someone must truly care about that game!), in that example you started a competition (and you started it for real, even if it lasted very shortly, as that game probably deserves)... if you pick games like Dragon Saber, you know, the competition is theoretically on from its first appearing in MAME, and Hisa a.k.a. Novice won it on both the 3 and 1 lives/life settings... anyone with a minimum of browsing ability can understand who made over time the greatest replays.

On these considerations... what we, other players, see when browsing and noticing all these quickly done 1st scores, is an attempt to climb the Leaderboard page (which, again, if one knows how to read the information he/she finds, it's easy to tell who is in the top ranks for a various assortment of valuable scores, and who's not, so in my opinion Leaderboard is not to condemn nor it has to be taken too literally/seriously), and spam.
Yeah, because as someone already pointed out (Matt?), unless we daily check for new scores, it's pretty hard to discover the most interesting scores that have been uploaded recently, and what we actually see is "easy 1st, easy 1st, easy 1st, old easy 1st that now is 2nd, easy 1st, oh look a totally different score... but that's not 1st, easy 1st" etc. - I'll take my criteria of "interesting scores" and I'll take a look now at the "loads" page, just to try.
Latest 100 scores limited to worst position as 20th, cover only one week of submission ( ==> you need to weekly check or change the search fields and read more stuff)
...maybe only 5 replays are interesing. And they are only 2 games + their variations. So... it's 95% of stuff I would ignore. And I've been generous, because actually I won't even watch them but I can't say they are bad.
Shall I quote also these lines of our rules:
MARP's goal is to emulate the experience of "watching a virtual master play an arcade game", true to the arcade experience, as closely as possible.
[...]
Submit only games that you feel are worthy of the notice of other MARPers, owing either to personal effort, or display of skill.

So. Although these lines rely on "feelings", which are personal... are you trying to master a game, or showing a display of skill? Yes -> ok, no -> filler.
Also notice I'm making a discussion about quantity. I've not been exempt from uploading replays that the most of us may consider useless (see Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon, for which I uploaded a score for parent and every clone, and parent+clones=12, and the only worth difference is that 8 clones are set to Normal and 4 are set to Hard) (see "some" mahjongs), though, I honestly believe nobody has ever said of me I'm one that fills the board with cheap stuff... like I said, there may be a small bunch (I'll be sincere, tvrs2, peekaboou, mjjoship, mjgnight, lhb, lhbv33c, are my personal easy crap. 6 scores that are 1st.), but it's like I said, a small bunch, that always passed away. Instead, we daily see easy cheap stuff coming from many many players, not just you. It's not the first time we're talking about this in the community.

To sum it up... Opening competition? Not always. And even if what you (not you PP but you generic) submit may lead to opening competition, that doesn't exclude other things like the board being flooded with surplus.


Ah yeah, to answer your question. Do I prefer zero score than any score?
YES I do.
User avatar
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:00 am
Location: Italy

Re: Vaz - dsaber -32040

Postby PP. » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:24 pm

Hey Vaz, in "mastboyia" you write "PP pls stahp".

I looked in google and this suppose to mean "stop", you want me stop what :?:

giro-X wrote:Ah yeah, to answer your question. Do I prefer zero score than any score?
YES I do.


With this logic most of mame games should be unplayable.
I guess most of mods and players disagree with you.
Besides, Phil has uploaded >900 titles of first place. Sometimes separaring the same game.
And what about all those slot machines and card games.
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:53 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Vaz - dsaber -32040

Postby giro-X » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:29 pm

PP. wrote:
giro-X wrote:Ah yeah, to answer your question. Do I prefer zero score than any score?
YES I do.


With this logic most of mame games should be unplayable.
I guess most of mods and players disagree with you.
Besides, Phil has uploaded >900 titles of first place. Sometimes separaring the same game.
And what about all those slot machines and card games.


You didn't read me at all. Why I expected for the content to be understood... I wonder. Anyway!
You missed the point, I told you, the purpose of submitting replays should be to show replays where you master the game, or at least show some valuable effort. This doesn't make "most of games unplayable", and I'm not even stating you have aboslutely to not touch them (I mean, do you want to upload useless stuff? Do it, but face the consequences, that is, you won't earn respect for earning tons of first places and you will be always remembered for being a spammer, like there's plenty enough!).
Master something and then submit into that game, that should be the spirit.
And even if most of the games remain score-less? Because I agree with you that slot machines, casino games, pachinko, are not really showing a big skill (once again, point of view is personal), and they constitute a big slice of Mame titles, for they have lots of clones and anyone is able to manufacture a slot machine. And so what if they stay empty? We don't have to place a score everywhere at any cost! Nobody dies if a silly slot machine stays empty of INPs.

About Phil's 900+ 1st, well, you know, are many of them casino games, slots, mahjong, hanafuda... (and archived games, those ones are marked with a star * and they do not count in leaderboard)? Yes there are a bunch. But you seem to not see that he has (up to now) 2727 replays on this site. He has played an eternal amount of stuff, and he has plenty and plenty of good replays, and even on most of less good replays, you can see there's effort being spent behind. It's the result of more than a dozen of years of playing.
And you got 174 first places in some months, and almost all of them are very cheap. You make effort only to get 1st place, instead of making effort to produce a good score. Useless that you search that one example where you may have spent more effort, this is your fashion. We don't have to go that far, just look how you submit 522K to beat 517K (on a game with a 23M top) and 148K to beat 144K (on a game with 1.3M top).
And once again, you are not alone, so it's pretty useless that you remind us that "he also did it waah waah", it's been forever that we are dealing with crap scores here and there from anybody.

Do your tour through threads, read stuff, come tell me again you "guess most mods and players disagree" with what I said.
User avatar
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:00 am
Location: Italy

Re: Vaz - dsaber -32040

Postby PP. » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:54 pm

giro-X wrote:You didn't read me at all. Why I expected for the content to be understood... I wonder. Anyway!
You missed the point, I told you, the purpose of submitting replays should be to show replays where you master the game, or at least show some valuable effort. This doesn't make "most of games unplayable", and I'm not even stating you have aboslutely to not touch them (I mean, do you want to upload useless stuff? Do it, but face the consequences, that is, you won't earn respect for earning tons of first places and you will be always remembered for being a spammer, like there's plenty enough!).
Master something and then submit into that game, that should be the spirit.
And even if most of the games remain score-less? Because I agree with you that slot machines, casino games, pachinko, are not really showing a big skill (once again, point of view is personal), and they constitute a big slice of Mame titles, for they have lots of clones and anyone is able to manufacture a slot machine. And so what if they stay empty? We don't have to place a score everywhere at any cost! Nobody dies if a silly slot machine stays empty of INPs.

About Phil's 900+ 1st, well, you know, are many of them casino games, slots, mahjong, hanafuda... (and archived games, those ones are marked with a star * and they do not count in leaderboard)? Yes there are a bunch. But you seem to not see that he has (up to now) 2727 replays on this site. He has played an eternal amount of stuff, and he has plenty and plenty of good replays, and even on most of less good replays, you can see there's effort being spent behind. It's the result of more than a dozen of years of playing.
And you got 174 first places in some months, and almost all of them are very cheap. You make effort only to get 1st place, instead of making effort to produce a good score. Useless that you search that one example where you may have spent more effort, this is your fashion. We don't have to go that far, just look how you submit 522K to beat 517K (on a game with a 23M top) and 148K to beat 144K (on a game with 1.3M top).
And once again, you are not alone, so it's pretty useless that you remind us that "he also did it waah waah", it's been forever that we are dealing with crap scores here and there from anybody.

Do your tour through threads, read stuff, come tell me again you "guess most mods and players disagree" with what I said.


What are you trying to tell me with all this blabla? What is your point? Discourage people from uploading inps?
Do I do something wrong? Am I out of regulations?
What do you want from me, anyway.

And you got 174 first places in some months, and almost all of them are very Cheap


No, only a few of them are "very Cheap".
Many of players here, even mods, have uploaded such inps.
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:53 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Vaz - dsaber -32040

Postby giro-X » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:12 pm

Oh and still, I love how you point your finger at Phil just because he is at the top of the leaderboard, that damned overestimated leaderboard.
Phil has submitted 2727 replays (not counting his INPs that he replaced with improved score), since January 13th 1999, that makes 6394 days, and so an average of a game every 2,34 days. Which is... eh. Consider that some INPs took less time to be recorded, it means he gives at least a discrete effort on everything he tries, with some games that have bigger effort.
BUT
You submitted instead 286 replays (always not couting those that have been replaced) since May 29th 2016 (score before that date have been released at a decent rhythm at least), that makes 48 days, and so an average of 5,95 GAMES A DAY. Where is the effort here?! Does anything out there in your replays have effort at all?
And tell me, if you "open a competition" (your words) every 4 hours, how are we supposed to decently compete to you? We can't, we obviously can't bear all of your stuff, which would be possible in an infinite amount of time, that we don't want to waste because we have our own goals and real life business. And there you remain at the top in over a hundred and half of clones (or new parents where a current clone was the parent in the past) and other ports games.

An INP every 4 hours, hah.

PP. wrote:What are you trying to tell me with all this blabla? What is your point? Discourage people from uploading inps?
Do I do something wrong? Am I out of regulations?
What do you want from me, anyway.

And you got 174 first places in some months, and almost all of them are very cheap


No, only a few of them are "very Cheap".
Many of players here, even mods, have uploaded such inps.


You don't listen! The first thing we want you to do is to listen!
I am not discouraging people from uploading inps AT ALL. I am discouraging to upload USELESS STUFF and encouraging to TRAIN on a few games and MASTER them as far as you can do! By uploading 6 different INPs a day you do not master anything! Those bunch of scores are very cheap, so cheap, that I invite you to call 5 of them at random and see if we can beat them in a week!
Do you do something wrong? Yes, you flood us with spam and you "open too many competitions" (again, your words!).
Are you out of regulations? Sadly no, but you surely are not following the spirit of the site, which hasn't at times being followed also by other people, including even some mods, that once in a while want to play something easy by themselves too. But ONCE IN A WHILE, you have instead uploaded 274 scores in 48 days! Can't you even realize?
User avatar
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:00 am
Location: Italy

Next

Return to Playbackability

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests