Working inp goes out of sync?

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

Working inp goes out of sync?

Post by 1up »

I recorded an inp from Out Run (revB) and have watched it from start to end several times, but today it goes out of sync on stage 3?? I tried deleting the nvram file for the game but it still goes out of sync?

any ideas?

I'm using MAMEUIH64 v144
Attachments
outrun.zip
MAMEUIH64 v144
(258.44 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Re: Working inp goes out of sync?

Post by Chad »

If you have Autoframeskip turned off (-noafs) then it is probbaly random emulation issues that is causing it to playback bad. -noafs will sometimes help playback especially when the emulation requires a lot of cpu time.
-skito
1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by 1up »

That didn't work? I usually have autoframsskip on but set it to 0/10 and it still desyncs the same place. It's weird as it used to work and now it goes out of sync, and I didn't change anything? Well, I changed the analog settings on the controls but that wouldn't affect a playback?

Also, every inp I try to create now in Out Run desyncs.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

yuk, not good. I analog control settings would affect a new recording but probably not an old playback. The only thing you can do now (if a recording played back consistently and now it doesn't) is to revert any change you made to the mame folder/files, and if you find a reverted change makes a difference, please post!

The one way to make sure an old recording would work (when hardware hasn't changed) is to create a brand new mame folder tree and playback from there, starting fresh should work, then you can diagnose the differences between the fresh tree and the changed tree.
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

If that build of MAME supports hiscore.dat, then remove hiscore.dat, it can screw with games' internal data rather badly.

I've had many issues trying to watch stella_blue's outrun inps, just goes out of sync immediately, whether or not I use a win32 or Linux version.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by 1up »

I will hunt down a version without hiscore support and try again.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

barry is right, simply removing the hiscore.dat and/or HISCORE.DAT from the mame folder may do the trick, this is common to forget and corrupt playback and recordings for certain games.
-skito
1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by 1up »

I think I finally figured out what was causing the inp's to go out of sync.

I tried your suggestions with removing the hiscore.dat files but they kept going out of sync. Yesterday I finally got around to downloading a new version of MAMEUI without highscore support. I set it up like I wanted and tried to run the outrun.inp.... out of sync! Sh*t!
Figured I would try and set the video options back to defeault, so I unchecked 'triple buffering' and 'multi threading'. Now the outrun.inp ran fine without a hitch. I'm pretty sure that multi threading is the bad guy here.

If an inp is recorded with multi threading it's corrupted no matter how you try to play it back. If an inp is recorded without multi threading it will playback fine with without multi threading but will go out of sync with multi threading enabled.

I've read that multi threading doesn't give you much over non-multi threading so I will leave it off in the future.
ballas
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by ballas »

1up wrote:I think I finally figured out what was causing the inp's to go out of sync.
I tried your suggestions with removing the hiscore.dat files but they kept going out of sync. Yesterday I finally got around to downloading a new version of MAMEUI without highscore support. I set it up like I wanted and tried to run the outrun.inp.... out of sync! Sh*t!
Figured I would try and set the video options back to defeault, so I unchecked 'triple buffering' and 'multi threading'. Now the outrun.inp ran fine without a hitch. I'm pretty sure that multi threading is the bad guy here.
If an inp is recorded with multi threading it's corrupted no matter how you try to play it back. If an inp is recorded without multi threading it will playback fine with without multi threading but will go out of sync with multi threading enabled.
I've read that multi threading doesn't give you much over non-multi threading so I will leave it off in the future.
Ok well, I didn't know what you were talking about until I found these MAME notes, just for interest sake.

" -[no]multithreading / -[no]mt 60
Enables multithreading within MAME. At the moment, this causes the window and all DirectDraw/Direct3D code to execute on a second thread, which can improve performance on hyperthreaded and multicore systems.
The default is OFF (-nomultithreading). "
KVD
Koos van Dyk
Johannesburg
SOUTH AFRICA