gambling games aren't playing back

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: gambling games aren't playing back

Post by Haze »

The majority of these sets require an F3 reset to start.

F3 is a MAME input, not a game input so afaik it won't be recorded.

They won't require a reset in the next version (it was inconvenient for testing) but no, there isn't any chance of them playing back in 0.130. (I also added a default eeprom to Skull Fang, so you won't need to reset that to boot it after the next update, I'm also willing to consider other games which require F3 to boot, or boot with wacky settings which make testing inconvenient)

Maybe mass uploaders who don't actually test their inps should just be banned? It seems clear he has no intention of demonstrating any level of skill (how many of these games involve _any_ skill is debatable, even the 'skill' ones)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

@Haze - some players play for fun, some for 1st, some for demonstrate high skill level. Ban is too big and too strong move.
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

yes, but this player seems to be playing to spam, with completely untested replays.

he's uploaded another batch, most of which I can guarantee won't play back, all this despite the posts here saying as much.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

yes banning is too harsh, he's good at gambling so he submits gambling, so it's not really a mass upload problem more than a mass of the same game problem. Considering F3 is the culprit, the quick and dirty fix other than banning will be to zero these now or later.

That's great you are able to tweak the boot so that a reset isn't required for play. I noticed many in this group that had the same start up screen but did not require an F3 press, so they are tweakable. If you need a list, I (and others here) could do some research and gather all the games we know including non gambling F3 needing games. Thanks Haze.
-skito
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

Chad wrote:yes banning is too harsh, he's good at gambling so he submits gambling, so it's not really a mass upload problem more than a mass of the same game problem. Considering F3 is the culprit, the quick and dirty fix other than banning will be to zero these now or later.

That's great you are able to tweak the boot so that a reset isn't required for play. I noticed many in this group that had the same start up screen but did not require an F3 press, so they are tweakable. If you need a list, I (and others here) could do some research and gather all the games we know including non gambling F3 needing games. Thanks Haze.
I'm not sure you can be good at these... For the majority of cases it's just run game, insert coin, press bet, get given score, quit & repeat until it gives you a score you're happy with. The winning on the d-up games is predetermined (not really based on the high/low chance on the cards) etc. Basically at the point you insert a coin, the game has decided how much you can win. I'm not even sure they should count for scores, unless they're proven to be actual skill based games.

Anyway, might have hit a roadblock for the nvram thing, it seems by submitting a few of them a couple of devs, including Aaron took note and decided that the concept of having default nvrams loaded with the roms is a bad idea, so I'm half expecting them to all be removed, and many more games will be forced to go through that process, even ones which currently have nvrams to avoid convoluted start-up processes.

I Can't say I'm surprised, I find many of the decisions made these days to be illogical and non-beneficial to everybody (it makes testing unnecessarily longer, delays development, causes things to appear not to work due to confusing startup requirements, makes recording replays harder etc.), so I apologise in advance if this doesn't quite work out how I'd like it to.
el wil
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by el wil »

HI!
For me, climbing all these ratings has been a mere experiment.

In no time I tried to get my top level in all these games.
My only intention was precisely this mind, to know if all these games you can play back, he informed me if there is any other way to start the games without using "F3",etc,etc :wink:

I conclude by saying that Marp, never tires of finding new games that can be emulated, the most similar to the original game, and if there are people who do not like such games, it can do is not play.
I think that these games also have their strategy, and of course luck is a very important factor, precise mind I therefore believe that these games "hook" to people, because these games never play the same game and not the can predict (as in most of the retro games)

A greeting!! :D
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Whether these games have scoring is not an issue in this thread. Marp will continue to accept all games emulated by mame where they are able to played back. But, some games can be RUN by using F3 but they can not be PLAYED BACK. See Rule 3 http://marp.retrogames.com/rules/ . You must test ALL recordings to make sure they playback before submitting. If you are required to use F3 to run the game, marp will not accept these recordings. Marp is here to allow people to watch recordings as well as post scores, not just the later. Please remove the above recordings and in clone games because they will not playback.
-skito
el wil
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by el wil »

Okay, no problem ;-)

I just hope you can correct this problem.
Greetings!
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

el wil wrote:I just hope you can correct this problem
Problem is solved : F3 isn't necessary anymore for these games since Mame 131.
I've zeroed all your inputs made with wolf130.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

And question to Haze :
can the following games also be fixed (still require F3 to start in m134) ?
findout
rabbit
kiwame
mjyuugi
ponchin
rmhaihib
srmp1
el wil
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by el wil »

Hi Phil!! =D>

Gracias por tu trabajo!! 8O :lol: =D>

Some day I will be very near you :wink:

A big hug and thank you very much MASTER!! =D>
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/abnudge
http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/3/c/4/tay ... olf137.zip

This was one of the games that was fixed? But it still doesn't playback? can anyone play this or the other recent gambling games back?
-skito
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Even if -verifyroms will say ok, you will need to update your rom by adding the .id files.
They will help you go through the password screen