Hitting "tab" in Wlfmame 106 doesnt show playback Normal ?

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

mrclean
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Hitting "tab" in Wlfmame 106 doesnt show playback Normal ?

Post by mrclean »

Hi. I'm using wlfmame 106 command line having a few seperate issues which i hope will get resolved...Not sure about this one but when in game i hit "tab" and can view the settings while in game play.., however upon playing-back the file i noticed that the settings / when i hit "tab" while recording a game did not show is this considered normal ? I just want to show the dip settings in mame to show that i'm not cheating.
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: Hitting "tab" in Wlfmame 106 doesnt show playback Normal ?

Post by mahlemiut »

Not sure if this is exactly what you're talking about, but showing the current DIP switch settings while playing back an INP is a MAME Plus specific feature, which was removed from MAME Plus some time ago. It will only display your current settings, with no impact on playback, or relation to the settings used for the INP. I can assure you that whatever DIP switch settings were used during recording, are used for playback also, as DIP switches are consider input ports, and are stored in the INP file.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

mrclean want to check what setting was used for recorded INP.
PacWhiz
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by PacWhiz »

I'm pretty sure mrclean means this:
While playing & recording he pressed tab and saw the game-settings on his screen.
Then after the game, he played back the .inp file , assuming that the tab-press was also recorded and that the settings would also show up during playback. However, this is not the case and yes that's normal. Tab is not an input-key and is therefore not recorded with the game.
Hope i explained that correctly :mrgreen:
mrclean
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by mrclean »

PacWhiz wrote:I'm pretty sure mrclean means this:
While playing & recording he pressed tab and saw the game-settings on his screen.
Then after the game, he played back the .inp file , assuming that the tab-press was also recorded and that the settings would also show up during playback. However, this is not the case and yes that's normal. Tab is not an input-key and is therefore not recorded with the game.
Hope i explained that correctly :mrgreen:
yes you explained it perfectly
aycaramba
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by aycaramba »

mahlemiut wrote:It will only display your current settings, with no impact on playback, or relation to the settings used for the INP. I can assure you that whatever DIP switch settings were used during recording, are used for playback also, as DIP switches are consider input ports, and are stored in the INP file.
If it's in the INP, is there any way I can see it? I have recordings from wolfmameplus 0.106 and wolfmame 0.127 that I don't know what settings were used. As you said, only the current settings are visible during playback.

I also need to know the playback speed. Is the speed I see at the end the playback speed or the original recording speed? (It would be great if we could see if it's below 95% without playing the whole INP, but that may not be possible)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

aycaramba wrote:If it's in the INP, is there any way I can see it? I have recordings from wolfmameplus 0.106 and wolfmame 0.127 that I don't know what settings were used. As you said, only the current settings are visible during playback.
Not without opening the INP file up in a hex editor and matching the bytes to the input ports defined in the MAME source. Although, much older versions of MAME Plus did automatically keep the DIP switch menu updated with current settings during INP playback. I don't know why or exactly when that feature was dropped.
aycaramba wrote:I also need to know the playback speed. Is the speed I see at the end the playback speed or the original recording speed? (It would be great if we could see if it's below 95% without playing the whole INP, but that may not be possible)
For 0.106 and earlier, you can see the current recorded speed via F11, and this also works for 0.128. All versions display an average recorded speed to the console, and 0.107 through to 0.123 display the average on screen when playback ends.
- Barry Rodewald
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

mahlemiut wrote: Not without opening the INP file up in a hex editor and matching the bytes to the input ports defined in the MAME source. Although, much older versions of MAME Plus did automatically keep the DIP switch menu updated with current settings during INP playback. I don't know why or exactly when that feature was dropped.
It was close to the 0.78 version, just when i discovered mame :-)
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
aycaramba
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by aycaramba »

mahlemiut wrote:Not without opening the INP file up in a hex editor and matching the bytes to the input ports defined in the MAME source.
I'll start adding it to my filenames when it's not default then. That'll be easier then trying to add it to inpview.
mahlemiut wrote:All versions display an average recorded speed to the console, and 0.107 through to 0.123 display the average on screen when playback ends.
Thanks, I didn't notice that it shows both average speeds - playback and recorded. To get the true average, the INP must play all the way though, of course.
aycaramba
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by aycaramba »

mahlemiut wrote:I can assure you that whatever DIP switch settings were used during recording, are used for playback also, as DIP switches are consider input ports, and are stored in the INP file.
Has this behavior changed intentionally? I did a quick test with wolfmame-0128-linux32. I set dkong to start with 6 players. When I recorded the 6 players were visible. Then I set it back to 3 players. When I replayed the INP, it only had 3 players. I was expecting the 6 players setting to be in the INP and override my local settings.

This same test works "correctly" in xmame-0.106. Deleting the dkong.cfg didn't help.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

in 106 the dip switches were stored, due to a bug in later mames including 128 the dip switches are not stored, i believe this is fixed in 129 where the dip switches are now stored correctling in the inp, barry?
-skito
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Chad wrote:in 106 the dip switches were stored, due to a bug in later mames including 128 the dip switches are not stored, i believe this is fixed in 129 where the dip switches are now stored correctling in the inp, barry?
I think Aaron Giles broke that during the updates of .124. Been fixed by .129, but I'm not sure where in between.
John Cunningham (JTC)
aycaramba
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by aycaramba »

Thanks. 0.128 didn't work, but 0.129 did.

I had mixed feelings about the regression. It made it harder to playback the INP, but at least you always knew what settings were in use. There needs to be an easy way to display the settings in use, and since the available options change with each game, it would need to run when the game is loaded. Overriding the TAB->DipSwitches display when the playback is running might be the best solution.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Yes, affects 0.125 through to 0.128. If you use any of these versions, and don't use default DIP switch settings (from the MAME "DIP switches" menu), then it would help to mention what settings were changed in your description. This does not affect settings stored in NVRAM.
- Barry Rodewald
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

yes, the cfg issue was a big issue in 128. but fixed in 129.

128 is pointless to use. :P

i also think(but would need to test) that in 129 if you press TAB to then get to and view the dip switch settings while playing back an inp file, the settings shown are those from the inp file....not from the cfg file as 106 does.

anyone? I am gamed out from this weekend...so really don't even want to launch mame. hehe