The big list of games with problematic playback

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

mahlemiut
Editor

The big list of games with problematic playback

Post by mahlemiut »

I think we really need a thread here that has a definitive list of all the games in MAME that have issues with INP playback. The eventual aim being to submit this list to MAMETesters and maybe someone will even fix them.

I'll maintain the list in this post, listing those games with the "0.63 bug", and those with other issues.

Remember also, that these must be checked with a regular, official MAME build. I'm sure MAMEdev doesn't want bug reports that are specific to some derivative build.

Another thing to remember, is that -nosound will no longer make much (if any) difference to playback. So games that previously required -nosound to playback correctly, are now likely to be completely unplaybackable.

And now, the lists...

0.63 bug

Rampage (mcr3.c)
Super Mario World (Nintendo Super System (nss.c) [solved - caused by out of date ROM]

Lansquenet 2004 (neogeo.c)
The various KOF bootlegs (neogeo.c)
KOF '96 and clone (neogeo.c)
KOF '98 and clones (neogeo.c)
Puzzle Bobble 2 (Neo Geo) (neogeo.c)
[Neo Geo problem solved. Caused by memory cards. Delete all memory card files (memcard.000, memcard.001...) before recording please. Or better yet, set memcard_directory to NUL (or /dev/null for *nix users)]

from earlier post on the 0.63 bug (these need to be verified on a recent version of MAME):
Depth Charge
Angel Kids
stocker (fixed?)
tron
tapper crew
VblockBreak (and clones not listed)
Mortal Komat and gang (fixed?)
metalclash
zwackery
paradise
and the nba gang
Enduro Racer

General playback problems

All games using a lightgun (eg: Operation Wolf) - requires a steady frameskip, game goes bonkers if the frameskip is changed or is paused.
Raiden (raiden.c) - sound related for sure, but playback works in AdvanceMAME only (something to do with sound synchronisation).
Super Real Mahjong P7 (ssv.c) - sound related, but not tried recently. Does playback work in a more recent MAME version?
Rampart (rampart.c) - sound related. -nosound previously required, but of course, that no longer works.
All Sega System 1 games (and maybe System 2 as well?) - requires a steady frameskip.
Waterball (blmbycar.c)
F1 Grand Prix Star II (cischeat.c)
Psycho Soldier (snk.c)
Growl / Runark (taito_f2.c) - previously required -nosound
Biomechanical Toy (gaelco.c)
Last edited by mahlemiut on Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:08 am, edited 8 times in total.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Psycho Soldier (all versions). I can't playback my inps again. Maybe nosound is key but I'm not sure. Something wrong is on last stage only.
And remember about games where nosound is required (or almost required) for recording:
Growl (and clones)
Biomechanical Toy
Last edited by destructor on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

You can add :
*watrball
*f1gpstr2
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I think Tron playback is ok.
Also f1gpstr2 could be more playbackable using fixed frameskip when recording.

Add to list Stun Runner(analog). (Goes offsync after few races)
720 degrees(analog) is very problematic
----------

Here should be listed only games that even the person who recorded them cannot playback
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

The TJT wrote:720 degrees(analog) is very problematic
Even after the Pokey fix?
- Barry Rodewald
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

mahlemiut wrote: Even after the Pokey fix?
Uh, dunno, cause even playing the game is problematic at later versions, after adding emulation for original controller. (btw how anyone could even hack original controller and make it communicate with a pc is a mystery to me)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Verifed with WolfMAME .101, snakepit is no longer affected by the .63 bug.
John Cunningham (JTC)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Added Super Mario World and Puzzle Bobble 2 (NG) to the list.

They seem to exhibit the same problem as the other Neo Geo games recently. If this is properly verified with Super Mario World, then there is some major issue somewhere, not just tied to Neo Geo games.
- Barry Rodewald
Abbe
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Abbe »

I can't get Torus to playback at all, no matter what settings I try. It always desyncs after one or at most two stages.
-Abbe
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Updated top post.

Super Mario World (and likely other NSS games) are likely to need the updated spc700.rom file, which changed a few versions back. Make sure you use the version appropriate for the version of MAME you record in.

Neo Geo problems were caused by the presence of a memory card file. Please remove these files before recording, or set memcard_directory to NUL or /dev/null (whichever is appropriate for your OS). Future replays that need memcard files to playback will be DQed.
- Barry Rodewald
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

mahlemiut wrote:Future replays that need memcard files to playback will be DQed.
Why does mame create a memcard file in the first place, what is it's function?
Is it used only for neogeo games?
Can you just create a memcard -read only file to prevent mame creating the directory in the first place...and still play and record games normally?
Why bunny has long ears?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Memory cards are Neo Geo specific. They normally store where your game ended and let you start there later, or some such. Never used them. Plenty of MVS cabinets with the card slots, no cards available around here.

Just the presence of the file may cause a problem, so I'd recommend setting memcard_directory to NUL (or /dev/null for *nix users). I think the memcard file is actually mentioned in the MARP rules as it is... but I could be mistaken.
- Barry Rodewald
Cybergoth
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Cybergoth »

Any final word on tron? Is it ok again to record it on WolfMAME 104 for example?
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Cybergoth wrote:Any final word on tron? Is it ok again to record it on WolfMAME 104 for example?
I think it should be ok. You should use frameskip as "draw every frame" to achieve more reliable playback at analog games. Also submitting a not-so-perfect-inp for testing purposes at Marp might be wise, before sending the best ever performance.
Cybergoth
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Cybergoth »

Ok, thanks. I just submitted a small test game :D