Snow Bros. - Nick & Tom (out of date ROMs)

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Snow Bros. - Nick & Tom (out of date ROMs)

Post by Buttermaker »

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... lines=9999
http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/a/5/d/mj ... mame70.zip

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... lines=9999
http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/9/e/9/mj ... mame70.zip
WIP:
- 0.75: Merge all gfx1 roms to rom sbros-1.41 (512kb). Correct Z80 CPU2 clock speed to 6MHz and YM3812 to 3MHz and monitor/video frequency to 57.5 Hz.
We need a rule that forbids uploading using out of date ROMs.
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Snow Bros. - Nick & Tom (out of date ROMs)

Post by Francois Daniel »

Buttermaker wrote:
WIP:
- 0.75: Merge all gfx1 roms to rom sbros-1.41 (512kb). Correct Z80 CPU2 clock speed to 6MHz and YM3812 to 3MHz and monitor/video frequency to 57.5 Hz.
We need a rule that forbids uploading using out of date ROMs.
I agreed but what's of old uploads ?

Francois
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Snow Bros. - Nick & Tom (out of date ROMs)

Post by Buttermaker »

Francois Daniel wrote:I agreed but what's of old uploads ?
They will stay of course.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I disagree, if you were that intelligent about knowing that your current romset was out of date then you proly would have the new roms. So the only way you could break this rule (knowingly upload an older rom set) was if you had the new roms which you would use anyway. Thus anytime you broke the rule you wouldn't really know it. It takes some doing to actually figure out you have the romset, usually it's after the fact you've made the recording and thus not really a responsibility thing unless you are keeping uptodate with roms at all times (not really a requirement we should impose.)

Btw, these both playback correctly to advertised scores with latest snowbros roms and XP, but are below regulation average speed of 90%.
-skito
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

Chad wrote:I disagree, if you were that intelligent about knowing that your current romset was out of date then you proly would have the new roms. So the only way you could break this rule (knowingly upload an older rom set) was if you had the new roms which you would use anyway. Thus anytime you broke the rule you wouldn't really know it.
Why would it matter whether you know it or not?
It takes some doing to actually figure out you have the romset, usually it's after the fact you've made the recording and thus not really a responsibility thing unless you are keeping uptodate with roms at all times (not really a requirement we should impose.)
Of course it should be imposed. Why should somebody with up to date ROMs go looking for old ROMs if he wants to watch a recording? I'm not talking about old recordings. I mean uploads should be made with up to date ROMs only.
Btw, these both playback correctly to advertised scores with latest snowbros roms
The snowbros ROMs changed in .75. If you play this back in .70 this happens:

Code: Select all

Playing back previously recorded game snowbros (Snow Bros. - Nick & Tom (set 1))
 [press return]

ch0          NOT FOUND
ch1          NOT FOUND
ch2          NOT FOUND
ch3          NOT FOUND
ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Buttermaker wrote:
Chad wrote:I disagree, if you were that intelligent about knowing that your current romset was out of date then you proly would have the new roms. So the only way you could break this rule (knowingly upload an older rom set) was if you had the new roms which you would use anyway. Thus anytime you broke the rule you wouldn't really know it.
Why would it matter whether you know it or not?
because right now you are making recordings on roms that are GOING to change and you don't know it, should your recordings now be disqualified? The other point is that he made these recordings a long time ago and uploaded them now. They would have been accepted with out question with the rule you mention if they were uploaded when tgmame70 was the latest and greatest, why disqualify them now? (other than dq them for slowdown i mean...)
Buttermaker wrote:
It takes some doing to actually figure out you have the romset, usually it's after the fact you've made the recording and thus not really a responsibility thing unless you are keeping uptodate with roms at all times (not really a requirement we should impose.)
Of course it should be imposed. Why should somebody with up to date ROMs go looking for old ROMs if he wants to watch a recording? I'm not talking about old recordings. I mean uploads should be made with up to date ROMs only.
because mame changes roms, it's a fact of life.
Buttermaker wrote:
Btw, these both playback correctly to advertised scores with latest snowbros roms
The snowbros ROMs changed in .75. If you play this back in .70 this happens:

Code: Select all

Playing back previously recorded game snowbros (Snow Bros. - Nick & Tom (set 1))
 [press return]

ch0          NOT FOUND
ch1          NOT FOUND
ch2          NOT FOUND
ch3          NOT FOUND
ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run.
this didn't happen for me using tgmame70, so i'm assuming the new rom "update" removed these files, i don't remove old roms from my roms if they are not replacements. this is probably fault of a rom manager not the uploader.
-skito
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

Chad wrote:because right now you are making recordings on roms that are GOING to change and you don't know it, should your recordings now be disqualified?
Of course not! I already said it in this thread but I'm gonna repeat it for you: If a recording was made with up to date ROMs at the time it was uploaded everything is all right.
The other point is that he made these recordings a long time ago and uploaded them now.
Well, that's his problem. Maybe in this case you could say he used up to date ROMs when he made the recording so it's all right but still...
They would have been accepted with out question with the rule you mention if they were uploaded when tgmame70 was the latest and greatest,
correct
why disqualify them now?
Should such a rule be implemented we'd have to think about what to do in such a case.
(other than dq them for slowdown i mean...)
Hehe, the reason I wanted to watch it was because he mentioned fskp 0 in his description. I expected it to be too slow.
because mame changes roms, it's a fact of life.
That makes sense for old uploads but not for current uploads.
this didn't happen for me using tgmame70, so i'm assuming the new rom "update" removed these files, i don't remove old roms from my roms if they are not replacements. this is probably fault of a rom manager not the uploader.
Somebody who keeps a perfect set won't be able to play it back. Imagine everybody upped inps using old roms only...

So why not just use up to date ROMs?
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

yeah in a perfect world everyone would have uptodate roms, but we can't expect that from everyone (that's what the rule would impose), that's almost like forcing people to download roms all the time. It can be quite an addiction anyway, so making a rule to warrant it would be immoral :)
-skito
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

This isn't the first time a ROM has been changed. What was done in the past?

And Chad, why do you have a photo of Innuendo as your av?

viewtopic.php?p=18502#18502
John Cunningham (JTC)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

there are no rules currently for using old roms because it will always happen.

because it's a cool picture :) and why is indiana jones mimicing innuendo?
-skito
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Chad wrote:because it's a cool picture :) and why is indiana jones mimicing innuendo?
Sure it's not the other way around?

Amazing. I hadn't even noticed that. :lol:
John Cunningham (JTC)
RJM
Button Masher
Button Masher

Snow Bros recordings

Post by RJM »

I had to reply to this one as IMHO (I could be wrong) these two recordings tag me as a cheat.

For the record. My PC is a 4 year old Celeron 433 which is basically a piece of crap and, for the benifit of those who will say "buy a new computer" I cannot afford to replace it at this time. For the record, wolfmame 76 takes over 2 minutes from selecting a game to anything actually happening, A major pain in the butt IMHO but unavoidable for now.

I've been sitting on these two recordings for close to six months due to not being able to submit anything on a dial up modem.

This is obviously no excuse, but I don't wish to be put in the same category as WRX2 or Preload who had speed issues.

Due to this, I obviously will delete both offending recordings, as for my previous submissions, the jury's still out but a decision will be made within 24 hours, and will refrain from submitting anything further until I strike it rich and can afford to buy a new PC.

My apologies to anyone who may be offended by either the above post or the offending recordings.

Robert Macauley (RJM)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

no worries, everyone thinks it was an honest mistake (and your email proves that even more) i'll bet you could get 100% by using autoframeskip recording again on the old pc, unless you were doing that already :)

besides if you didn't submit thoss recordings we would have never gotten to see indiana "INNUENDO" jones (see above) :lol:
-skito
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Out of date CHDs

Post by Buttermaker »

aarongiles.com wrote:Well, just in time for Thanksgiving, we have a new CHD format. The next version of MAME will require you to update your CHDs. Now don't worry, you can do it yourself using the chdman utility (formerly known as hdcomp).
RJM
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by RJM »

Just recorded this last night. Snow Bros ( older romset: snowbros) using win35tg3 set on a constant frameskip 4. This should satisfy the speed issues I had before as it stays in the mid to high 90% range for pretty much the whole game. Due to having to use the older rom set I won't upload this recording but if anyone's interested I've attached it here.

Hey Santa. Whattabout a new PC in that sack of yours?

RJM