Discussion about MARP's Tournaments

Moderator: giro-X

giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

T15 - Rules, dates, discussion thread

Post by giro-X »

Personal introduction

It's me again, hello hello. \:D/ If you missed the part of the exchange of roles between Wolfman24 and me, consult this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15976 at the sixth post.
As usual, I'll try my best to organize the tournament and have you enjoy the gaming experience. Like I did for two years ago, I would like to propose a compromise between my ideas for tournaments and the classic MARP Tournament project; some elements from that previous T13 may be restored and many others will be slightly modified.
Nothing is so strictly definitive until we put the procedures into effect, so I'm open to read all of your comments and I encourage you anytime to post your ideas in the related threads.

Length / dates of the tournament

The length of the tournament, as chosen with a poll, is of six weeks.
STARTS: Sunday 18th September 2016 (GMT 00:00:00)
ENDS: Sunday 30th October 2016 (GMT 23:59:59)
(warning: one day of time has been added from original date)
All times in GMT refer to: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ . As it should be a period where the Daylight Savings Time change occurs, please check the world clock when in doubt. Also, a countdown timer to next event in the tournament will be always available in my posts signature.
The coordinator has the right to extend the deadline(s) for bad server reasons.

Game selection

As chosen with your votes in the poll, this tournament will have 6 games to play.

IN RESUME
From August 15 to 28 you can vote a bunch of games. In the days between voting and tournament start, we have discussion time.
In September 17, I will (probably record myself doing stuff, since I can't stream, and) pick 5 games from 5 different genres from your votes, and decide by myself at the very last moment the 6th game.

IN DETAILS
The selection of 5 games will be performed with a random extraction between the games voted by participants.
From 00:00 GMT of 2016, Aug. 15th to 23:59 GMT of Aug. 28th, MARPers will be given the opportunity to vote for the games they'd like to see in the tournament. On Aug. 15th a thread will be opened by me in MARP to gather all of the votes.
Each participant can pick up to three games. Each game has an equal voting power. ( ==> two or more votes from two different users for the same game will count as one)
After the voting period, the voted games will be gathered into genres (maze, puzzle, sport, etc.) and the time left to the beginning of the tournament will be of use to discuss whether the games should be catalogued under a genre rather than another, which shouldn't be in a tournament, and so on.
On Sep. 17th, I will randomly extract (and possibly, by showing you the process) five different genres, and then randomly extract a game from each genre.
By this way, it is impossible that two similar games could be extracted for the same tournament.
More details on games allowed for votes will be given with the opening of the thread.

The sixth game will be chosen by the tournament coordinator (so, by me) on the same day of the random extraction of previous 5 games.
It will be decided at the very last minute, after first 5 games have been picked, following these criteria:
-has to be a different genre from the other 5 games
-has not to be a game that has been voted by players
-has to follow the same criteria of selection for other games (in other words, if we ask you to not pick a game played in previous tournaments, I won't also pick a game of previous tournaments. And so on.)
-has to be from a manufacturer / software house not showing up in the other 5 games
-(optional) has to have a year of release not showing up in the other 5 games
As I usual want to repeat and underline, nobody ever ever will have a tiny hope to discover in advance what I could think of; it will be a genuine, patient self-choice, based on instantaneous random results.

Game settings

All games are intended to be played with default MAME settings. If MARP has special rules for the designed game (ex. max 5 lives to use), they will be adopted.
All BIOS (like for NeoGeo MVS) will also be default MAME settings.
The specific parent/clone ROM to use is a detail you can choose when voting the games.
If the chosen titles and settings could lead to a general marathon ( ==> a game that can be played by several players for more than three hours and has no concrete ending), we may opt for a Time Attack, or a limit of loops/time allowed, in which to try to get the highest amount of points.

Version of WolfMAME used

WolfMAME 0.177 (to be released in the month) ONLY will be allowed. In case of serious troubles in maintaining the recording speed to an average of 95~100% from one or several participants, it will be allowed to use a prior WolfMAME; which version to allow, that will be decided at the moment.
(Please keep already in mind by yourselves this aspect when voting for games. If you know a game may run slowly on older computers, don't nominate it.)

Other rules

Obvious rules are obvious. And so,
-techniques banned from MARP are also banned in this tournament.
-INPs sent that will include use of macros, multiple buttons for the same action, autofire, 2 players cooperation, altered speed, will be not considered. To be precise about recording speed, it must be included between 95% and 100~101%.
-The score you claim must be done on the first credit of your recording. Failure to do so will result in your score being changed to what it was for the first credit.
-To encourage good sportsmanship, no recording can be uploaded 24 hours after you started to record it. If these periods are violated, then that person's score for that game will be changed to zero.
-Recordings have to be submitted at MARP main site, including the string "T15" in the comment, or here in the forum in the appropriated thread, if you want to conserve an old recording of yours.

Scoring

For each game, the player with best score gets 100 tour. points, always. All the following scores are calculated in proportion to the best score, like a percentage, rounded down to the nearest integer.
For example, the best score in Game 1 among all players is 45.000 points (100 tournament points). A score of 32.800 points in the same game would be 72,8% the best score, and so it's worth 72 tour. points. (Not 73, because we are rounding down)
Additionally, to encourage players with knowledge of games to play fair and show off soon all their strategies, a bonus can be earned depending on when you submit your score. (These values are still preliminary and can be discussed and changed before we start playing. We can also discuss about a malus for sudden high scores coming from nowhere at the end of tournament, for example.)
If, at the end of the tournament, your score for a game has been submitted:
-on the 1st week, you earn a 24% bonus for the tour. points of that game;
-on the 2nd week, you earn a 16% bonus for the tour. points of that game;
-on the 3rd week, you earn a 8% bonus for the tour. points of that game;
-on the 4th, 5th or 6th week, you earn no bonus.
Scores after these percentages are not rounded again, so (example) a score of 66 TP getting a 16% bonus will become a score of 76.56 TP.
As you can understand, the bonus is applied only if the score survives from that far and you never update it with a better one.
A tournament is won when at the end of the tournament by the player with highest total of tour. points. If there is any tie in the leaderboard, tie will be declared.

A Google spreadsheet with current rankings for each game and the whole tournament, will be made available for viewing.

---
This is all so far, if I missed to talk about something, please let me know. Any other kind of reply is welcome, there's still some time before to start all the operations.
Oh my goodness, it's another long post. :roll:
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: T15 - Rules, dates, discussion thread

Post by Cicca »

Great job, Giro.... :D
I've a couple of questions about things I was expected to read here, but I don't see:

1) I guess proposed games shouldn't have been played in the past MARP Tournaments editions: if so, a banned list would help the choice;
2) I remember I read somewhere that T15 was supposed to be a "1 life only" tournament (idea I like very much), but there's no mention in your post....things are chenged lately?

Thanks
Cicca
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Cicca wrote:Great job, Giro.... :D
I've a couple of questions about things I was expected to read here, but I don't see:

1) I guess proposed games shouldn't have been played in the past MARP Tournaments editions: if so, a banned list would help the choice;
2) I remember I read somewhere that T15 was supposed to be a "1 life only" tournament (idea I like very much), but there's no mention in your post....things are chenged lately?

Thanks
Cicca
1) Yes. These and all the other criteria will be shown in the thread when I will start it on Monday. More or less you can see a preview of how it will be, by reading my older one viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15263 (considering that the list of games played in the last 5 years of Marp tournaments must be updated)
2) Argh, I totally forgot about it. Though, it was not definitive, the idea was to have a poll for that rule to be approved or not.
Usually I prefer if we play without many special rules. I'll think about it, I may perhaps allow people to suggest one different setting or special rule, like that 1 life only, when they vote a game.
I'll let you know before or on Monday and comments about it are welcome if anybody has any.
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Post by Novice »

Do we have to upload all tittles?
Upload the replay 1st week,and no one beat it, then 124points?
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Novice wrote:Do we have to upload all tittles?
Upload the replay 1st week,and no one beat it, then 124points?
Playing all titles is not mandatory, of course one should try to submit a score for all of them so to get higher chance to win the tournament. If the goal is to win the tournament.
Yes, if your score is not beated for the whole tournament, and you uploaded it the first week, 124 points.

But, also...

Imagine that you got beated, and the score that beats you isn't much higher.
Example, you upload 2.560.000 points (on first week), another player uploads 2.720.000 points, later.
Your Tournament Points would still be 116,56. As, your score would be 94 TP with 24% bonus.

Code: Select all

INT(100*2560000/2720000)*1.24 = 116,56
The moral of the adventure is: if you are good at that game, submit as soon as possible, because it may be more convenient than lurking in secret all the time.