T13 - Games selection (for 1st period)

Discussion about MARP's Tournaments

Moderator: giro-X

RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: T13 - Games selection (for 1st period)

Post by RAX »

I ask for a limitation of DoubleDragon's leeching for this tournament. Something like "you are allowed to leech with one life, saving enough time to be able to complete the stage with the life you used to leech" could be good.

Trojan (one of my titles) could have a similar leeching problem too, but not so long/boring and not so early in the game. I'd think it's not that problematic, anyway if people say it has to be ruled for me it's ok.
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Updates: WolfMAME to use for tournament will be 0.152. If new versions will be released during the playing of the tournament, well :) there will be no other change. 0.152 is definitive.
No change in the ROMset names.

Also, I find questionable my choice of putting Magic Sword: Heroic Fantasy between the Platform games, I think it may stay better on Group 6 (Figther 2D).
Hmm :?
When I first listed the games in genres I used an external source, just to be clear.
RAX wrote:I ask for a limitation of DoubleDragon's leeching for this tournament. Something like "you are allowed to leech with one life, saving enough time to be able to complete the stage with the life you used to leech" could be good.

Trojan (one of my titles) could have a similar leeching problem too, but not so long/boring and not so early in the game. I'd think it's not that problematic, anyway if people say it has to be ruled for me it's ok.
Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeching. Uhm... I'm keeping an eye over Double Dragon, there seem to be many way of leeching... for now it can stay in the list, as well as Trojan.
As said in the rules, we eventually may adopt a defined time limit for Double Dragon (preferably for single stages) to prevent extreme leeching.
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

wow I do not like this Rule of 152 is the only verson of Mame to be used .

That's just flat out dumb .

TG only takes scores from Wolf106 .
giro-X wrote:Updates: WolfMAME to use for tournament will be 0.152. If new versions will be released during the playing of the tournament, well :) there will be no other change. 0.152 is definitive.
No change in the ROMset names.

Also, I find questionable my choice of putting Magic Sword: Heroic Fantasy between the Platform games, I think it may stay better on Group 6 (Figther 2D).
Hmm :?
When I first listed the games in genres I used an external source, just to be clear.
RAX wrote:I ask for a limitation of DoubleDragon's leeching for this tournament. Something like "you are allowed to leech with one life, saving enough time to be able to complete the stage with the life you used to leech" could be good.

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeching. Uhm... I'm keeping an eye over Double Dragon, there seem to be many way of leeching... for now it can stay in the list, as well as Trojan.
As said in the rules, we eventually may adopt a defined time limit for Double Dragon (preferably for single stages) to prevent extreme leeching.
If you have a FB Account I'm Brian Allen
On KLOV and other sites I'm Simpsons99
Arcade Game Scores
DKJR 1,073,800 Level F Kill screen !
DK3 TG MED Skill Level 1,365,000 Level 80?
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

simpsons99 wrote:wow I do not like this Rule of 152 is the only verson of Mame to be used .

What's your frequency about using the term "dumb"? Anyhow... since my curiosity is OT...
Let me explain all well.
We're not TG, first of all. :wink:
Then, the choice of going on one version to use only, has been taken (since the beginning, so I wonder if the fact you realized it now was due to uncomplete reading -ok, I write a lot, but...-) to avoid the boring procedure for players who want to see others' recording, confirmer(s) who have to verify, etc. of downloading several MAME versions, resetting your custom favorite settings (if any), and to be sure that there is not even the slightest difference in emulation between two versions.
The choice of the newest version to be used, has been taken because it's supposed that
newest version = more bugs/glitches fixed = more games once not playable are then working = better emulation (and trust me, also verifying recordings, since the 0.106, has been improved)
and also to avoid any confusion with ROMsets names when uploading to MARP.
It implies of course that slowes PCs may have troubles with some games in newest version rather than 0.106 or else, so, I have also specified in the main rules that if a player has really serious troubles in maintaining 100% speed while recording on newest version in a particular game, even when trying frameskip, no sound, etc. etc. - then, we may allow that player to use a previous version of MAME.

I hope you understand. I know I can't satisfy everyone always and everywhere, but even the smaller decision has come after several thoughts, and indeed I got lot of time to think :wink:
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

I always record my games first for wolf106 and then newer Mame versons.

If I have the Rom set for wolf106 I will not use it on a newer verson of Mame..

because TG only takes scores with Wolf106

So If I set the World Record on Donkey Kong Junior using wolf Mame 152 my score is not going to count with them..

That's why I am saying this is Dumb!
giro-X wrote:
simpsons99 wrote:wow I do not like this Rule of 152 is the only verson of Mame to be used .

What's your frequency about using the term "dumb"? Anyhow... since my curiosity is OT...
Let me explain all well.
We're not TG, first of all. :wink:
Then, the choice of going on one version to use only, has been taken (since the beginning, so I wonder if the fact you realized it now was due to uncomplete reading -ok, I write a lot, but...-) to avoid the boring procedure for players who want to see others' recording, confirmer(s) who have to verify, etc. of downloading several MAME versions, resetting your custom favorite settings (if any), and to be sure that there is not even the slightest difference in emulation between two versions.
The choice of the newest version to be used, has been taken because it's supposed that
newest version = more bugs/glitches fixed = more games once not playable are then working = better emulation (and trust me, also verifying recordings, since the 0.106, has been improved)
and also to avoid any confusion with ROMsets names when uploading to MARP.
It implies of course that slowes PCs may have troubles with some games in newest version rather than 0.106 or else, so, I have also specified in the main rules that if a player has really serious troubles in maintaining 100% speed while recording on newest version in a particular game, even when trying frameskip, no sound, etc. etc. - then, we may allow that player to use a previous version of MAME.

I hope you understand. I know I can't satisfy everyone always and everywhere, but even the smaller decision has come after several thoughts, and indeed I got lot of time to think :wink:
Arcade Game Scores
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Wouldn't that make TG dumb for only supporting a 7 and a half year old version of MAME? A more recent version with proper multiple platform support would make a lot more sense.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

simpsons99 wrote:because TG only takes scores with Wolf106

So If I set the World Record on Donkey Kong Junior using wolf Mame 152 my score is not going to count with them..
Ah, that's all the reason why you don't agree? Can't you come down to a compromise for once?
The power of math speaks for me, we have 1/2 chances that one particular gender of games is extracted, then, if Platform is sorted, we have 1/12 chances (or better, 1/11 if I move mswordj to the fighter 2D) that Donkey Kong Junior is picked by the random extraction. Talking with percentages, we are around a 4.1% (or 4.5%) of chances it comes out.

You have 95% of reasons to be in peace with yourself if you really care so much to the version used. If anyhow it is sorted, remember, if you do not upload with the proper versions the scores won't be counted in the tournament, once defined the rules are rules for everyone. I am "sure" you will have not troubles to emulate at proper speed an easy-to-emulate game of golden era with 0.152 since you have recently uploaded scores elsewhere with newest versions somewhere in the MARP.

It would be ridicolous if right that game is sorted, and you refuse to play with proper version, and you get a higher score than who participates by following the rule, and then you declare yourself "moral/real winner" or something like that. Juuuust sayin'.
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

he uses wolf151 to upload to MARP all the time.
there is no problem here. he just wants to argue... #-o
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

nope I will not play Donkey Kong ,Donkey Kong Junior, Space Fire Bird , Dark Tower ..

Any rom that can be played on wolf 106 I use that Verson.

It's still the best 7 years later
kernzy wrote:he uses wolf151 to upload to MARP all the time.
there is no problem here. he just wants to argue... #-o
Arcade Game Scores
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

simpsons99 wrote:Any rom that can be played on wolf 106 I use that Verson.

It's still the best 7 years later
"au reste, après wolf106, le Déluge"

Just for information, did you already plan to play with your own version when you subscribed to T13 and chose your titles?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

simpsons99 wrote:It's still the best 7 years later
*cough*bullshit*cough*
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Barra
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Barra »

TG only takes scores from 0.106? Please enlighten me as to how I can submit to them?...
Yeah didnt think so.
Andrew Barrow
Barra
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Barra »

TG only takes scores from 0.106? Please enlighten me as to how I can submit to them?...
Yeah didnt think so.
Andrew Barrow
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

Barra wrote:TG only takes scores from 0.106? Please enlighten me as to how I can submit to them?...
Yeah didnt think so.
[OT]
At the moment TwinGalaxies is out of order (gone? dead? paused? ....?).
In its last form before vanishing you had to pay 25 bucks to submit a MAME replay, and it had to be recorded with a 7 years old version only.
When/if TG will come back we'll learn if something will be going to progress
[/OT]
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

i used to think the same as brian. because, if he gets a fluke or lucky high score, it is recorded. i record almost everything i play, but these days don't think MARP as any less than TG. i believe they are equal.
how can you not want to play in a competition because it's not the correct version compared to a site that is not in this competition?
just play, and call it experience or practice. if you beat your tg record, then play again on 106 with confidence.
i can almost bet your games will not be chosen anyway...