T11 - Rules

Discussion about MARP's Tournaments

Moderator: giro-X

Chufoglu
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

T11 - Rules

Post by Chufoglu »

They are very similar to previous tournaments. Eight games will be played through eight weeks. It is not necessary to play all eight games to take part at the tournament.

Election of games

Each member of MARP may vote for two games. The voting will take place within a week time. With the elected games there will be a drawing to choose the eight games to be played.

The coordinator may change the default settings of the game or put additional rules (eg, number of levels reached, over punctuation).

The scoring per game will be (first position to last) 15-12-10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1

Election of dates

It will be subject to voting during a week.

Version of MAME used

Wolfmameplus 0.106 or 0.141 to simplify confirms, except special cases.

Length of contest

The length of the contest will be from 0000 GMT of the 1st of one month until 2359 GMT on the 30/31 of the next month.

Other

General rules of MARP are valid (first credit, 95% of speed, etc.).

Techniques that are banned on MARP regulation play will not be allowed in this tournament.

No recording can be uploading 48 hours after you recorded it.

Next days i will put the votings for dates and games.
Last edited by Chufoglu on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: T11 - Rules

Post by INNUENDO »

GREAT!! Any player can vote??
Long life to good games
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I'd rather 0.141 (or whatever version is current at the time) is used. Few reasons:
a) Better support for multiple OSes (Windows, Linux, OS X, BSD...), and less likelihood of OS-dependent de-syncing. (only 32-bit<->64-bit is likely, and even this is rare)
b) Better emulation accuracy
c) More games to choose from
.. and the slightly more personal reasons ... ;)
d) 0.106 is nearly 5 years old now, let it go. :)
e) It's difficult to play anything when your monitor craps out after about 15-20 minutes
f) X-WolfMAME 0.106 sucks for recording, really only useful for playback, SDLMAME is much, much nicer to use
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Chufoglu
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Chufoglu »

INNUENDO wrote:GREAT!! Any player can vote??
Yes.
mahlemiut wrote:I'd rather 0.141 (or whatever version is current at the time) is used. Few reasons:
a) Better support for multiple OSes (Windows, Linux, OS X, BSD...), and less likelihood of OS-dependent de-syncing. (only 32-bit<->64-bit is likely, and even this is rare)
b) Better emulation accuracy
c) More games to choose from
.. and the slightly more personal reasons ... ;)
d) 0.106 is nearly 5 years old now, let it go. :)
e) It's difficult to play anything when your monitor craps out after about 15-20 minutes
f) X-WolfMAME 0.106 sucks for recording, really only useful for playback, SDLMAME is much, much nicer to use
0.106 or 0.141 seems good option.
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Rules sound pretty good... I do worry slightly about the scoring system, as only ten players can score points on a given game, which may hinder in participation. But this may just be a minor thing in the long run.

In addition to having the tournament be from 3/1-4/30 or 4/1-5/31 (or whatever), may I also suggest something like 3/15-5/15? May I also suggest not running the tournament past 5/31? The reason for that suggestion is that The Olympiad will probably be 8/7-9/4... something like that, which would give Phil a two month window to get his Week Challenge Championship in if the tournament ended at 5/31. (or Phil and I can swap places and I'll run the Olympiad in June... it's up to him and we don't have to decide that now)

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts. Thanks for reading! :)
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
Chufoglu
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Chufoglu »

gameboy9 wrote: may I also suggest something like 3/15-5/15?
I include this date.
1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by 1up »

No recording can be uploading 48 hours after you recorded it.

does this mean that if I record an input file I can not upload this if I pass the 48 hours mark? how is this enforced? Does the inputfile have a timestamp? Or does it mean that I cant upload a new replay within the first 48 hours of the first one?
el_fumador
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by el_fumador »

1up wrote:No recording can be uploading 48 hours after you recorded it.

does this mean that if I record an input file I can not upload this if I pass the 48 hours mark? how is this enforced? Does the inputfile have a timestamp? Or does it mean that I cant upload a new replay within the first 48 hours of the first one?
All players have to sumbit an inp before 48 hours since it was recorded. The reason of this is avoid or try to avoid that some players hide their score until the last moment (especially if the score is very high and can change the first places in the overall). The input file has a timestamp but I have heard that can be changed easilly using the windows clock. There isn't a simple way to check that situation. So, we should rely on the sportmanship of each player.

Of course, you can upload all the inps you want without waiting time between inps submitted. The unique restriction is the limit of 48 hours mentioned above.
1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by 1up »

el_fumador wrote:The reason of this is avoid or try to avoid that some players hide their score until the last moment (especially if the score is very high and can change the first places in the overall).
that makes sense,.. thanks :)