MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Donpachi is excellent game. Maybe somebody will beat world record :idea:
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

mahlemiut wrote:Ok, I think 3 shooters is one too many at least.

My opinion would be that having Super Zaxxon and Donpachi offers the best variety between shooters. Of course, I'm willing to listen your opinions too, so let's hear them.

The next game in (if the replacement even takes place) will be Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors [dstlk].

It should also be noted, that I have a judge already lined up for Donpachi, should it manage to stay in T10.
If I understand correctly, you are talking about dumping Exerion, and not Wacko, as you classify Wacko as a "human shooter" and it has a "puzzle element".

I would say that this was unnecessary, as Donpachi and Exerion aren't quite so similar in "feel" to not have both. And, of course, Super Zaxxon is not the slightest bit similar to either. If I did dump one of those two, it would be Donpachi, which I would say is too similar to too many games existing and used in tournaments before. Exerion would at least be a little bit of a breath of fresh air.

Passing Centipede for being too similar to Exerion or Donpachi is ridiculous.

Suggesting that Centipede is the slightest bit similar to Super Zaxxon is more than ridiculous. It is simply beyond belief. Perhaps even pretextual, but I won't pursue that line of thought.

And do I assume correctly that you are disregarding the opinion of three of us that Mario Bros. and Popeye are unfortunately similar?
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

My take on this.

First, I think it would be best to just play these 8 games, not dumping any.

Second, Popeye and Mario Bros are not similar enough gameplaywise, imo. Only reason I see would be that Mario Bros has been at deca and here are many deca players.

Third, shooters:
Wacko, Zaxxon, Exerion, Donpachi, Centipede

Wacko is not conventional shooter, it must not be counted.
Zaxxon is different too
Exerion is conventional shmup(shoot them up), the best game of the 8 imo. A true classic.
Donpachi, a conventional shmup, scrolling one.
Centipede, a bit different, but shmup nevertheless.

If you really have to drop a shooter, then it must be without a doubt Donpachi...because Exerion is higher on the list! That is fair.
Dropping Donpachi, the next game will be Darkstalkers which would get in...You don't throw out Donpachi just to replace it with another shmup(Centipede).
----------

Note:
If you drop Mario Bros due to similarity with Popeye...I can not see why Centipede would be allowed in, as a 5th shooter or 3rd shmup. Not that I would have any problems with Centipede taking Marios place, but fair is fair and so on...
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Drop all games and try to new selection.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:Drop all games and try to new selection.
What reason is there to believe that this would leave us in a better position?
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Maybe new selection will be better. Or maybe select more options with 8 games and next we can choose one from all options.
Last edited by destructor on Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:Maybe new selection will be better.
Could just as easily be worse.

There were only 51 games nominated. For each, someone must have thought they would be a good choice.
John Cunningham (JTC)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

The following are the TG settings for the games. How do people feel about using some or all of these (or even harder)? Settings not mentioned are the MAME or game defaults.

Wacko: extends at 20k and every 60k.
Popeye: extend at 40k
Mario Bros.: medium difficulty (George has also suggested using hard difficulty)
Super Zaxxon: hard difficulty
Darkstalkers: hardest difficulty (level 8)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

mahlemiut wrote:Darkstalkers: hardest difficulty (level 8)
Are we to assume then, that this game is replacing Exerion even though no one posted in support of it?
John Cunningham (JTC)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Not as yet. It just saves me posting again, just in case. :)
- Barry Rodewald
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Weehawk wrote:Suggesting that Centipede is the slightest bit similar to Super Zaxxon is more than ridiculous. It is simply beyond belief. Perhaps even pretextual, but I won't pursue that line of thought.
You misunderstood my comment John. I wasn't suggesting that at all. What I posted above was a one-line joke because Don is by far the best Super Zaxxon player...has the WR on the title by a large margin(Don's score)
...so in the same humor Don also suggested adding Centipede(where I and many others regard Don as the best centipede player around in this day)... Don and I met up just last night and he once again did a nice 1 million practice run on centipede...making it look so all too easy. He would be able to easily do similar in wolfmame if the analog overflow issue is fixed.

I joked back saying that Don already has 1 game in his pocket on that list....and he wants a second? it had nothing to do with them being similar games which of course they aren't. We are in agreement there...as we were in the past as well when things got bad between us somehow.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Any more opinions on which shooter to drop, and which settings to use? I'd really like to get the games locked in by the weekend, if at all possible.
- Barry Rodewald
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

mahlemiut wrote:Any more opinions on which shooter to drop, and which settings to use? I'd really like to get the games locked in by the weekend, if at all possible.
Just to reiterate what's already been posted:
The TJT wrote:First, I think it would be best to just play these 8 games, not dumping any.
Weehawk wrote:I would say that this was unnecessary, as Donpachi and Exerion aren't quite so similar in "feel" to not have both. And, of course, Super Zaxxon is not the slightest bit similar to either. If I did dump one of those two, it would be Donpachi, which I would say is too similar to too many games existing and used in tournaments before.
Weehawk wrote:Passing Centipede for being too similar to Exerion or Donpachi is ridiculous.

Suggesting that Centipede is the slightest bit similar to Super Zaxxon is more than ridiculous. It is simply beyond belief. Perhaps even pretextual, but I won't pursue that line of thought.
The TJT wrote:If you really have to drop a shooter, then it must be without a doubt Donpachi...because Exerion is higher on the list! That is fair.
Weehawk wrote:I would say that two of the games are similar enough that it would be worth dropping one of them to get the completely different Centipede in, but since I'm bound to have a pro-Centipede bias I won't even say which two games I'm talking about.
dbh wrote:I'll say it...Popeye and Mario Bros.
jbd41 wrote:I will second the vote that Mario Bros. is too similar to Popeye.
John Cunningham (JTC)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Ok, I'm pretty much set to drop Exerion, mostly as that will give the greatest variety between shooters, and have a better balance between classic and more modern games. That, and Donpachi isn't so repetitive either, having a set ending.

As it is, both Mario Bros. and Popeye are in, I just don't see all that much of a similarity there. Convince me otherwise though, and I might think about it. Next game in, in that case will be Mighty Pang (tour mode).

Any bitching needs to be done now, as I will send the list of games to Zwaxy to be added to the database in the next day or two.
- Barry Rodewald
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

mario and popeye.. clearly they ARE the same now that you mention the game that might replace one of them :) In Truth, I only see their game type as similar; they are quite different non scrolling platform games. However, i would throw in "having only one puzzle/maze game Rompers in the list might be giving the shooter masters a high privilege."
-skito