T10 - Game discussion

Discussion about MARP's Tournaments

Moderator: giro-X

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I think I will not play this tournament...But still I repeat myself:
There really is no fair reason to drop Exerion, according to all logic left in this world.

And I really do not understand fetism for Dodonpachi at Marp. IMO that is a very ordinary game :-k
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

...but we're not talking about Dodonpachi...
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Uh

This picture has nothing to do with topic, but here it is towards pleasure and joy

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

mahlemiut wrote:Ok, I'm pretty much set to drop Exerion...
Horseshit.

You're throwing one out because they are too similar, but choosing to keep the one that was lower in the random order. This is just wrong.
mahlemiut wrote:... that will give the greatest variety between shooters, and have a better balance between classic and more modern games.
Odd, in previous tournaments where the draw happened to be the other way, I saw no such shenanigans pulled to have a better balance.
mahlemiut wrote:Convince me otherwise though, and I might think about it.
Yeah, right.
mahlemiut wrote:Any bitching needs to be done now,
Though is obviously pointless.
mahlemiut in a previous post wrote:Of course, I'm willing to listen your opinions too, so let's hear them.
Too late for this tournament unfortunately, but now that we know this was so you could do just the opposite, we can post accordingly in the future.

Lumping all games that have a fire button together as "shooters" is ridiculous. And bypassing Centipede, suggesting that it is too similar to Zaxxon and Donpachi just to get Darkstalkers in is downright sleazy.

Oh well...
John Cunningham (JTC)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

centipede is a shooter, no matter how golden era a game it is, seems likely to skip. You have a point with exerion, since excerion isn't the last shooter in the list meaning donpachi is sort of the first to go there; although zaxxon is much more similar shooter to excerion (the 2nd bottom on the list) than donpachi is, so the choice is not entirely out of the air. darkstalkers is a fighter, and if next on the list is clearly the most different to any of the games than centipede would be to the existing shooters on the list.
-skito
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Chad wrote:zaxxon is much more similar shooter to excerion (the 2nd bottom on the list) than donpachi is
What?????? Reread that. Is that what you intended to write?

Are you saying that you think that Zaxxon/Exerion is a more similar pair than Exerion/Donpachi?

How?
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Donpachi is totally different than Exerion/Zaxxon. Every stage is different with different difficulty level, with bossess, power-ups, chains, ship select at start ... And have the end.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:Donpachi is totally different than Exerion/Zaxxon. Every stage is different with different difficulty level, with bossess, power-ups, chains, ship select at start ... And have the end.
I'm referring to the gameplay itself. Whether it repeats or has an ending has nothing to do with that.

The actual play of the game seems somewhat similar to Exerion to me. Zaxxon is an entirely different type of game altogether.
destructor wrote:Every stage is different with different difficulty level, with bossess, power-ups, chains, ship select at start
LOL...that's like saying that Millipede is not similar to Centipede because the mushroom patch can shift upwards and downwards, there are different types of bugs, there are DDT bombs, and multiple spiders can appear on the screen at once.

The one is still basically a souped-up version of the other and they would both not be used in the same tournament.
John Cunningham (JTC)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

If I really had my way, I'd just drop Super Zaxxon, as I kinda like Exerion.

Of course, in Donpachi, you don't tend to go round and round the screen trying not to miss any enemies at all... except maybe the beginning of stage 5..., but that's a different story. :)

Like I said, I'd rather have one classic shooter, and one modern, rather than just two classic. There are plenty of classic games as it is.
- Barry Rodewald
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Weehawk wrote:LOL...that's like saying that Millipede is not similar to Centipede because the mushroom patch can shift upwards and downwards, there are different types of bugs, there are DDT bombs, and multiple spiders can appear on the screen at once.
And go to sleep bored after watching first replay. Who will check another replays? Maybe more tournament coordinatoors? 20 coordinators will be OK?

John, in MAME are newer games too, not Golden Era only ;)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:
Weehawk wrote:LOL...that's like saying that Millipede is not similar to Centipede because the mushroom patch can shift upwards and downwards, there are different types of bugs, there are DDT bombs, and multiple spiders can appear on the screen at once.
And go to sleep bored after watching first replay. Who will check another replays? Maybe more tournament coordinatoors? 20 coordinators will be OK?
I don't see how that response relates to the comment quoted. :?:
destructor wrote:John, in MAME are newer games too, not Golden Era only ;)
You state the obvious, and I don't see how it is relevant to this discussion.

I have never suggested discriminating against a game because of it's date of production.
John Cunningham (JTC)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Weehawk wrote:I have never suggested discriminating against a game because of it's date of production.
That's Tommi's job. ;)
- Barry Rodewald
Zwaxy
MARP Founder

Post by Zwaxy »

Weehawk wrote:Must have been T5. The only one I can't find results from anywhere on the site.
I don't know why those results were missing. It looks like T4 games were removed and T5 was played using the T4 code.

Anyway, I've fixed that up now. What used to be on the site as T4 is now T5, as it should be, and the missing games are there now as T4.

To clarify:

t4:
arkanoi2 boblbobl gaplus gberet pnickj rallyx sf2 solarfox

t5:
elevatob kuniokub mpatrol mslug tempest thepit vulgus wjammers