TOURNAMENT 9 - GAME SELECTION+DISCUSSION

Discussion about MARP's Tournaments

Moderator: giro-X

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

TOURNAMENT 9 - GAME SELECTION+DISCUSSION

Post by Chad »

wolf95 seems a bit faster than 94 (at least with benchall.bat) BUT since wolf95 has the win98 bug we'll use wolf94 for tournament 9. Pre-Selections have been made but are open for discussion, especially for special rules.

1112246574 (seed)
1 naname -puzzle
2 acrobatm -shooter/vert
3 Ripoff -shooter
4 exerion -shooter/vert3d
5 gunsmoke -shooter/human
6 hellfire -shooter/horiz
7 wbml -platform
8 airbustr -shooter/horiz
9 xmcota -fighter
10 pzloop2-sm -puzzle
11 shocktra -shooter/human
12 magicbub -puzzle
13 rallyx -maze
14 bcstry -track+field
15 roadf -racing
16 sonofphx -shooter/vert
17 senkyu -puzzle
18 knights -brawl
19 mgcrystl -shooter/human
20 punisher -brawl

lots of shooters here. A unique game type selection would be: naname, acrobatm, wbml, xmcota, rallyx, bcstry, roadf, knights. But, other tournaments have included games of similar types as long as they are distinct, e.g. including acrobatm + ripoff but not exerion(sort of vertical), or hellfire (horizontal is just verticle plus 90 degrees.) Thus, the selected distinctint games:

1 naname -puzzle
2 acrobatm -shooter/vert
3 Ripoff -shooter
7 wbml -platform
9 xmcota -fighter
10 pzloop2-sm -puzzle/shooter
13 rallyx -maze
14 bcstry -track+field

If anyone knows of playbackability or speed issues of these games OR If anyone would like to discuss why some of the left out shooters are drastically distinct that acrobatm and ripoff, please post. There may be an issue with wbml as no one has recorded with it, I presume this is just because of a recent clone parent swap. This discussion will last until April 5th GMT 00:00.
Last edited by Chad on Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Why no human shooters? Certainly not too similar to either horizontal or vertical shooters?

And I swear I remember Rally-X being in a tournament at some point? Maybe New Rally-X? Don't really want to play that damn game again, that's for sure. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

nrallyx was in T4, more than the accepted rules of 3 tournaments away, and there wouldn't be any mazes and we know how we loved the maze game last tournament :) I thought a bit about grouping the space shooters with the human shooters. Thus, i figured with out sprites (and previous game knowlege) it would be hard to tell the difference. shocktroopers varies by direction of scrolling movement and has multiple angle firing options, that i suppose should be worthy of distinction, can't say the same for gunsmoke. If you can describe a distinct gameplay that acrobatm doesn't have that the other shooters please do. Ripoff is clearly a different kind of shooter, where the first objective is not to kill everything asap. And if you add another shooter which of the chosen would be removed? pzloop2 would be the obvious removal choice to keep distinct games. However, given all puzzle games are just combining sprites of the same color (heh:), puzzloop2 and naname do have distinct play. and if you added another shooter, you'd have 3 shooters.

Note: the bonus game will be random among all the unchosen+undisputed games, but for the main 8 i'd like them to be distinct and adhere to the random chosen ordered rank.
-skito
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Why magicbub is out ? very different from puzloop IMO

Bcstry : definitely too slow ; runnning around 70% speed on my stepfather's PC (3.2GHz) ; I'm definitely out with my 1.2GHz
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

I find Gunsmoke to be an rather unusual shooter. The three direction shooting (+combining the shoots), the "story" and the gameplay is unique and way before its time for and old shooter. At least in my opinion :)
QRS
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I allways thought Gunsmoke as a Commando ripoff. Nice though.
Bcstry...I didn't even know about such sports game :)
Exerion, what a cool game, save your machinegun shots!

...Now this didn't help a lot, did it :)
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

The TJT wrote:I allways thought Gunsmoke as a Commando ripoff. Nice though.
Bcstry...I didn't even know about such sports game :)
Exerion, what a cool game, save your machinegun shots!

...Now this didn't help a lot, did it :)
Commando ripoff? Nahh not even close :)
QRS
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Phil Lamat wrote:Why magicbub is out ? very different from puzloop IMO

Bcstry : definitely too slow ; runnning around 70% speed on my stepfather's PC (3.2GHz) ; I'm definitely out with my 1.2GHz
I agree about magicbub, however puzzloop came first :) and i didn't want to pick 3 puzzles. Ahh bummer, didn't even notice the bcstry speed, that will have to go, roadf will be included as the 8th game then if so.

Gunsmoke is definitley not a vertical shooter, it is definitley distinct as a human shooter in it's own right. But I'm not convinced adding it to the other two shooters and taking away a completely different type of game from the rest of the 8 will make a more diverse tournament. at least there isn't a leprechan game here (that i can tell so far.)

I'm considering ousting wbml because it might be too similar to wb3 which was in the last tournament, can anyone give me a reason why wb3 and wbml are very different platform games? [knights] would then be the replacement.
-skito
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Chad wrote:[knights] would then be the replacement.
Knights was in Knockout 4. Is it possible to select it again?
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

darn i knew i should have done the pre game work on the knockouts and wccs, yes knights was in knockout 4 and is not selectable, thus the next step is "punisher" so save any discusion about shooters and puzzles the games look to be

1 naname -puzzle
2 acrobatm -shooter/vert
3 Ripoff -shooter
7 wbml -platform
9 xmcota -fighter
10 pzloop2-sm -puzzle/shooter
13 rallyx -maze
15 roadf -racing
=========
20 punisher -brawl

i'm glad i saved the random seed value so i can recompute the 21-30 just in case we remove more.
-skito
eyp
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by eyp »

Chad wrote: 10 pzloop2-sm -puzzle/shooter
Is this game pzloop2j? BIn my wolfmame95 doesn't appear any pzloop2.
/ Eduardo Yáñez Parareda (eyp) /
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

yes, it is pzloop2j (typo by me) stage mode, which is the first default game when the kanji characters prompt you for game type. and note: the 9th game is listed above is not necesarily the bonus game.
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Shock Troopers is closer to Commando than Gunsmoke is...

And whoever voted for Rally X (again) should be shot. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Rally X is more than boring. :?
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

destructor wrote:Rally X is more than boring. :?
Hey, hey Des, Its the best arcade game ever :wink:
Frankie