TOURNAMENT 9 (with a twist) - TIME TO VOTE FOR GAMES

Discussion about MARP's Tournaments

Moderator: giro-X

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: TOURNAMENT 9 (with a twist) - TIME TO VOTE FOR GAMES

Post by Weehawk »

Chad wrote:I'm tempted to exclude "golden era" used games...
I assume this refers to my "Golden Era Game of the Week" challenge, and I would protest this in the strongest terms possible.

As I made clear in the very first announcement regarding GEGOTW:
Weehawk wrote:This is a personal offer from myself, and is not officially associated with MARP in any way.
My nominations for the tournament are:

Wacko (Bally-Midway - shooter - 1983)
Slither (GDI - shooter - 1982)
Joust (Williams - platform - 1982)
Rip Off (Cinematronics - shooter - 1980)

I would have much preferred Joust 2, but I see it was used in Knockout 1

:(
John Cunningham (JTC)
diabolik
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by diabolik »

My votes:

Megadon [megadon] - shooter
Pop Flamer (not protected) [popflama] - maze
Space Panic [panic] - platform
Solar Quest [solarq] - shooter
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

My games:
Air Buster (airbustr) - airshooter
Hook (hook) - fighter 2D/3D
Rompers (rompers) - maze
Top Hunter (tophuntr) - fighter/platform?
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: TOURNAMENT 9 (with a twist) - TIME TO VOTE FOR GAMES

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

Weehawk wrote:
Chad wrote:I'm tempted to exclude "golden era" used games...
I assume this refers to my "Golden Era Game of the Week" challenge, and I would protest this in the strongest terms possible.

As I made clear in the very first announcement regarding GEGOTW:
Weehawk wrote:This is a personal offer from myself, and is not officially associated with MARP in any way.
IMO it may be disallowed, due to it would give some advantage to players that participated in the recent "challenges", unnofficial "challenge". Yes, I know is not easy to select a "fair" system of voting the games.
Just my opinion.
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

Well I don't compete in these things (better things to do with my free time ;-) but some of the new additions come to mind..

Twinkle .. this *seems* like a nice pacman style game..

Gain Ground .. some good inps of this would be interesting to see, although the system requirements might be too high for some people..

Senkyu .. sound is crap but Seibu's puzzle game is very nice indeed..
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

IMO it may be disallowed, due to it would give some advantage to players that participated in the recent "challenges", unnofficial "challenge".
One could use that same "logic" to disallow games which are the subject of Robert Mruczek's bounties, the DECA, Funspot's tournament, or any game which has recently had a recording submitted to MARP for.

I started the Golden Era Game of the Week to encourage participation in these games, virtually the only games that I personally have any interest in.

I hereby openly implore the Tournament administrator(s) not to put me in a situation where my efforts are being used to prohibit competition on these games. I would find that situation intolerable, and would be forced to seek ways to remove myself from it.

MARP is already a cold enough place for people like me (if there are any others). Take last year's tournament. Only two golden era games, and one of them was complete rubbish (Pot-o-Gold). That left just one game (Zektor) that held any interest for me. I don't want things to be made worse on my account.
John Cunningham (JTC)
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

Weehawk wrote:One could use that same "logic" to disallow games which are the subject of Robert Mruczek's bounties, the DECA, Funspot's tournament, or any game which has recently had a recording submitted to MARP for.
Yes... maybe you are right... maybe. So, would be banned TG recent MAME games... maybe...
Welll, it have a lot of doubts... but my best feelings here is the well-knowned question "Why not select one game by randon and play it well???" (PS.: Sincersly, I am not able to do it... but I want)

Just my thoughs.
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Mad Planets (mplanets) - uh... single-screen shooter?
Giga Wing (gigawing) - vertical shooter
The Punisher (punisher) - beat-em-up
Over Top (overtop) - racing

edit: removed Chimera Beast and Night Striker for speed concerns. (when the hell did get Chimera Beast get so slow?)
Last edited by BBH on Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I get 220-260% on Night Striker (0.95) on my XP3000+, if that's any help.
(Faster than MESS emulating a CPC, that's for sure... ;))
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Weehawk wrote:I hereby openly implore the Tournament administrator(s) not to put me in a situation where my efforts are being used to prohibit competition on these games. I would find that situation intolerable, and would be forced to seek ways to remove myself from it.
ok i was just trying to be respect full that your tournament is better than mine :) golden era of the week games are banned as should any recent tournamnet held in the last 3 years (still trying to find the original rules... oh yeah the OLD message board will have them)

some voting questions that could give some players more voting options:

qrs voted for a clone of shocktro, which means you are really only voting for three games, if shocktra is chosen we will debate on which of the shocktroper clones will be used.

kranser voted for clone of hardhead which was already voted by xanadu, same clone issue as above. Also kranser voted for 4in1semi-nh which i can't run???, i will replace that with 4in1boot-g3 which is hyper man...

Haze you have one more vote and gground looks like a mame95 only game but i may change the version to 95 instead of 94 as long as the bsod's on 98 aren't an issue.

and of course votes se moi

pzloop2-sm (first game selection) - puzzle
goldnaxj - brawl
runark - brawl
flipshot - fighter/breakout
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Chad wrote:pzloop2-sm (first game selection) - puzzle
goldnaxj - brawl
runark - brawl
flipshot - fighter/breakout
Why a japanese version of Golden Axe? Want to play the more bloody version? :)

And Runark may have playbackability issues too.

I chose set 2 of Shock Troopers more because it'll probably get me playing that version. I personally find set 2 harder, although I'm sure BBH would disagree with me there. Set 2 has seperate energy bars for each character (or just 3 lives in Lonly Wolf mode), but your energy decreases more when hit (and increases more when you get a life up). Set 1 has a unified energy bar, so when a character dies, it's game over.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

mahlemiut wrote:And Runark may have playbackability issues too.
Sound off use. I can say that game is very easy and score depend from luck on last boss only :?
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

Sorry Chad, but I actually voted for hardhea2 (Hard Head 2).

Which is pretty much totally different from Hard Head. It's a sequel - but is very different.

[Hard Head 2 - (hardhea2) - Platform ]

Kranser.
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

As the original writer of the tournament rules, this time I side with John.

The original rules was those involved in the last four tournaments, I believe. THIS RULE ONLY APPLIED TO GAMES OF THE MARP TOURNAMENT, not any other MARP tournament (GEGOTW, MAME Championships, Olympiad, WCC, whatever)

So Skito would be impling a rule change, which he, of course and, to some, alas, is allowed to do so.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

mahlemiut wrote:I chose set 2 of Shock Troopers more because it'll probably get me playing that version. I personally find set 2 harder, although I'm sure BBH would disagree with me there. Set 2 has seperate energy bars for each character (or just 3 lives in Lonly Wolf mode), but your energy decreases more when hit (and increases more when you get a life up). Set 1 has a unified energy bar, so when a character dies, it's game over.
It's debatable. For less experienced players, I think set 2 is easier because it usually allows them to play longer with three lives, even though the damage is doubled for each life. Set 1 is much easier for one-credit play as long as you can get through the game without taking too many careless hits. Having a lifebar twice the size of Set 2 is nice, especially since you don't have to worry about a team member dying on you prematurely. That can screw you over on Set 2 if you let one of them die early, then you don't have access to their bombs and can't switch over if the other two members have sustained a lot of damage...

so yeah, in the long run I prefer Set 1.

also, to Chad: I edited a couple of my game selections up above.