Discussion about MARP's Tournaments

Moderator: giro-X

Alex_Lux
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

ST04 - Tournament in ZX Spectrum games

Post by Alex_Lux »

Hello !

We're starting 4th Tournament in Speccy games, with playback feature (it's just like INP file in MAME !!!). Event starts October, 1st.

You can visit Speccy Tour page at :
http://www.speccy.org/st04/

It's free, it's great fun, it's not important to win, games are similar but somehow 'original' (fresh) in relation to well known classics on MAME.

Tour is similar to Snipercade's Deca (top score gets 100 pts,...), games are grouped in genres (platform, shoot'em up, racing, maze,...) so only true all-rounder can win event. Playback files are very well secured from violations (speed, hoarding, crypting etc.). If you are curious to see how games look like (screenshots), go directly to:
http://www.speccy.org/SpeccyTour03/selection.html

As this is Olympic year, games be choosen by Tour's Director, so there is no player's poll this year :wink:

With the best wishes,
Aleksandar
eyp
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by eyp »

I encourage people from MARP to enrol in this tournament, it's a great way to
know a new platform and new games.

Indeed it is a challenge.
/ Eduardo Yáñez Parareda (eyp) /
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

..or an old platform and old games depending on which way you look at it.

When I wasn't in the arcades I spent all my game playing youth on my Spectrum so I have many fond memories of it. The thing is, I find most of the games even more frustrating than some supported by MAME. Nostalgia is a funny thing. Take Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy for example. Many Ex-Spectrum owners would describe these as some of the best games ever written. They are bloody awful in reality! I guess it's the same as Pac Man and Space Invaders always topping the charts when it comes to the best arcade games.

I'd probably like to have a go at entering but unfortunately I don't have as much time as I used to (as my half arsed, last minute inp for Dr Micro in K4 showed) but all the best with your tournament.
Darren
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Darren, I agree with you about manic miner. So much talk about what...There are even couple of documentaries made about manic miner programmer, who has vanished somewhere not to be found.
Played the game few times at Game On exhibition here...Well...Nothing Spectacular, very Basic platform jumper :D
...But some strange twisted way I liked the game, played it many times untill got to room 2 or 3, tough one! You just MUST get to next room!
Ah, the times 8)
eyp
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by eyp »

Em... I don't like Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy and games like those, but Spectrum has about
3000 games (don't know exactly), some of them very fun.

I've taked part in ST02 and 03, and now in MARP 4th Championship, and in these three
tournaments I not knew of several games... That's funny for me, compete against other
people, and learn to play new games (although actually were old)
/ Eduardo Yáñez Parareda (eyp) /
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

The TJT wrote:Darren, I agree with you about manic miner. So much talk about what...There are even couple of documentaries made about manic miner programmer, who has vanished somewhere not to be found.
Played the game few times at Game On exhibition here...Well...Nothing Spectacular, very Basic platform jumper :D
...But some strange twisted way I liked the game, played it many times untill got to room 2 or 3, tough one! You just MUST get to next room!
Ah, the times 8)
The programmer was Matthew Smith and he has returned from his hide-out :)

As a Spectrum user I have to agree and say that I never liked Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy that much either. I was more into Ultimate and their games, like Knight Lore and Atic Atac. They changed software history :)
Frankie
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Yay, Knight Lore! \:D/

And no, I'm no Spectrum user, in case you hadn't noticed :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

mahlemiut wrote:Yay, Knight Lore! \:D/

And no, I'm no Spectrum user, in case you hadn't noticed :)
Nice Barry :)

I didn't think of that when I posted about Knight Lore :)
Frankie
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

Oh, by the way, maybe you should check out another game from Ultimate called Sabre Wulf :)
Frankie
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Best game ever is Atic attack!! Sabre wolf is also a great game! Frostbyte and Starquake == leet games too :)
QRS
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Frankie wrote:Oh, by the way, maybe you should check out another game from Ultimate called Sabre Wulf :)
You're way too late on that one :)
- Barry Rodewald
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

QRS wrote:Best game ever is Atic attack!! Sabre wolf is also a great game! Frostbyte and Starquake == leet games too :)
Don't get me started but Starquake is one of my favourites too :)

I also prefered Atic Atac over Sabre Wulf. SW is way to difficult for me :(
Frankie
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

QRS wrote:Best game ever is Atic attack!! Sabre wolf is also a great game! Frostbyte and Starquake == leet games too :)
Oooohhh, Starquake :)
- Barry Rodewald
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

mahlemiut wrote: Oooohhh, Starquake :)
A pic, please :)
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

I never got into AticAtac. Lunar Jetman was probably my favourite game. Also Wild West Hero, Pyjamarama and The Alchemist to name a few more.