Moderator: giro-X

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

T8 - END

Post by Chad »

(1) Destructor
(2) Gmitra
(3) Sawys

Well once again there's no change on top, sighingly super Congradulations to destructor again. And it didn't help to have the worst game picked of all tournamnets in this one, i was hoping he'd have a little trouble with that one. I still wouldn't change the randomness but next tournament will get some changes, particularly bonus points that could boost your standing, once i figure that out to make it fair to everyone playing.

I've put up a few notes, and the other judges should have some stuff to report on a side pot of holding honours to the winners. Thanks to everyone for competing.

Rampage Notables:
*only two players made recordings with a character other than geroge. Barry and Gmitra.
*Comendation goes out to all those corporals who stick their heads out of the first floor window once in a while to chuck a grenade, 5 blocks across and 10 stories UP! get those guys an outfield contract.

Potogold Notables:
*crap game, no question, i was hoping at least this wouldn't be taken by des but to no avail for the master of all games (save zektor+ohmygod).
*There were two main strategies for defeating the kells kill screen, (1) zizzag first above the house and then try to follow the leprechaun back to the gold, and (2) pretend like there was an opening in the wall to warp around to the top and confuse the leprechaun to try to stay in the corner, then sneak up against the wall.
-skito
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

Hi Chad

I'm not sure, but I guess you prefer us to post our thoughts and stuff about judging the games here. So here are my Goal '92 report:

What can I say about judging this game? As with most football games players quickly finds the fastest and easiest way to score goals, which then results in a lot of unrealistic scores :)
Of special notice is Mike_Myers 850 recording, where he in the fourth game scores the latest goal in the whole tournament. There also was a recording from the beginning of the tournament where the game showed a bug, that made a lot of players running around the ball as if they couldn't find it. Unfortunately I can't remember who's recording that was, so please step forward if that was your recording.
As usual Destructor wiped the competition out of the way, by scoring more than 100 goals in the eight matches.
As I said earlier, players quickly starts to make recordings, where most of the goals are scored in the same quick way. But if you like to see a recording with a wide variety of goals, I recommend Sandman's 665 recording.
Let me end by congratulating Chad on a great tournament, and of course also all the players who played in it, and especially Destructor for another victory.
Frankie
Blost
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Blost »

Nice Tournament with mostly good games, Wonderboy III being my favourite & the one i judged.

The competition shows a good overall level with quite a few players in the 300k-400k points.
Round 8, the evil desert one, was the place where those players usually end their trip; even Destructor lost a few men there!
On a personal note i'm satisfied having beaten my best on MAME, but wish i had more time to play, trying to push Des. a bit further toward the game's end.
A special mention to Barthax for his "pathetic" (his own words) but fun performance :wink:
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

First of all, congratulations to Destructor. Stellar performance, especially scores at Goal92 and Double Dragon impress me...beating Mike and BBH at their "0wn" games.

About Tournament generally: I liked most Zektor(obviously) and Ohmygod, the ones that got away from des, hehe. Disliked Rampage, reminded me too much of T3 game Xenophobe. Other games were all ok in my opinion.

Zektor notables:

*All recordings playbacked first try and were submitted in time, most being over 99%. Best ones over 100% ;)
*It was interesting trying to figure out what controls players used by simply watching inp. It was obvious when keyboard was used...scorewise too.
*many players moved too little, key to success is to learn how to control ship accurate.
*most funny was to look different boss/bonus stage tactics. 5 basic types were recognized:
1. move very little up from 9 o'clock, stay same place, fire
2. move to 11 o'clock, stay put, fire
3. circle around clockwise, fire sometimes.
4. circle around counter-clockwise...follow slower outer circle
5. start steady, panic, try to survive, loose ship

*Watched Phils? inp 3 times to see why he didn't loose hes last ship inp when he was shot at boss stage...came to conclusion that if you loose last ship exact same time as boss disappears...your mistake is forgiven by game.
*Inps should record player reactions after succesfull/unsuccesfull performance. Now that would be arcade experience...

Thanks for all competitors, TJT
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

:wink:
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Well. Destructor is now 6x win... my oh my how great of a player you are. Well done... once again.

Well, I wound up judging Double Dragon through a bit of a carosel, but I'll try to come up with a couple notes.

It looked like Burnov was the player for most of the higher scoring players. He seemed to be quite strong, so I can see that. The MARP high score for the longest time though... held by BBH, used Jimmy. I think that was the only time Jimmy was used in this tournament. Maybe a time or two more, I forget.
Abobo was the player for most of the lower scoring players. Sorta can't blame him, he seemed to be the strongest player, so you were able to ring up a ton of damage, and therefore, points, very quickly.

I was liking some of the fights against Abobo as a computer... usually they'd find some way to do the same stuff over and over again... but eventually they get owned by Abobo flinging them from here to kingdom come... muut have assessed about 30% damage to the player.

This was a tough fighting game... only one person (surprise! Destructor!) defeated the game this go around.

I think that's all the notes I've got. See yall next tourney! (well... I'll see you sooner than that... but... well... you get the point. :) )
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Yes it was my Goal92 Inp

Post by lippsman »

I had the very strange game 3 (I think that was the one) that had everyone running around not seeing the ball. Or would that be the line of code they couldn't see.........well anyway.......that did cost me a few goals. Although, as the other scores point out. It would of made no difference.

Congrats to Destruct and other top scores.

Louie
Gmitra
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Gmitra »

First let me congratulate destructor, another great win for him!

It looks to me like a lot of people give up after a while, probably
because they think 1st place is so out of reach, but what's wrong
with fighting for second? It’s still fun.
Again this year I forgot about the date for the end of tournament and
I got second place only because I improved one place in xybots and someone
made a better score then sawys in xybots and that got me a one point lead.
Some luck. To all those who gave up on games too early I have to say I didn’t
play any of these games much before tournament. You just have to play a lot
and watch other people's inps. Of course when I say play a lot I really mean it
And this year due to some bad circumstances (lost a job a month ago, and was
tight to a bed for some time before that) I had a lot of spare time to waste.
Let me just say that for ohmygod (best game in t8 for me) I spent 46! :(( hours
trying to beat the top score and I came only 400 points short of second place (
didn’t submit that inp).
Other cool games for me were rampage where is tried george then ralf then again george
and finally when I switched to ralf again I made a really nice score. Then wb3 that
I tried to learn as much levels as I can and. Doubledr was fun once I started playing
Burnov, mostly because I couldn’t make any special attacks with others. And Finally
zektor, but playing on the keyboard I think I couldn’t get any better then this.
Other games were crap, potogold and xybots and goal92.

Hope to play t9 but let's hope I wont have this much free time then.
Frankie
Editor

Re: Yes it was my Goal92 Inp

Post by Frankie »

lippsman wrote:I had the very strange game 3 (I think that was the one) that had everyone running around not seeing the ball. Or would that be the line of code they couldn't see.........well anyway.......that did cost me a few goals. Although, as the other scores point out. It would of made no difference.

Congrats to Destruct and other top scores.

Louie
Thank you for coming forward :)

I just couldn't remember who uploaded that recording.

Which recording was it, the newest?
Frankie
lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

It was my final post

Post by lippsman »

Yes, the inp in question is still up.

A question to you all........what exactly do you do? Work? School?.........

I own a computer business in Myrtle Beach, S.C. USA.........Been playing these damn games from the beginning.

Was there in the Arcade with quarters in hand when they unboxed Death Race 2000. Yep, just gave away my age there..........
:o
Louie
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: It was my final post

Post by Weehawk »

lippsman wrote:Was there in the Arcade with quarters in hand when they unboxed Death Race 2000.
From KLOV:
Oh, and for the last time, "Death Race" is the title of the game, NOT "Death Race 2000." The latter was the title of a really bad Sly Stallone/David Carradine movie released the previous year
John Cunningham (JTC)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

...like KLOV is the most reliable source of info on the net. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Just not surprised at all

Post by lippsman »

I ask a question about what people in the fourm did for a living, and the first response is to point out I didn't state the arcade name correctly!!!.... :evil:

Pretty sad...... :?
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Hi

Post by sawys »

I have 2 feelings about this championship :
- first is that i was ill the last week (40°C ) and couldn't play like i wanted, that's why i submit my inps too late to take the 2nd place to Gmitra :)
- second is that i liked all games cos they were really challenging for me.
I have really difficulties with puzzle and fight games :)

If i have time next time i will try to make better but desctuctor is really the best !!

For Zektor, i think playing with mouse is really hard !!

Have fun to everyone !! I am in holidays !!
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Just not surprised at all

Post by Weehawk »

lippsman wrote:I ask a question about what people in the fourm did for a living, and the first response is to point out I didn't state the arcade name correctly!!!.... :evil:

Pretty sad...... :?
Sad though it may be:

a) I prefer not to discuss my work in a forum to which I come for recreation

b) I fondly remember Death Race and cringe at it's name being confused with "the title of a really bad Sly Stallone/David Carradine movie"

:roll:
John Cunningham (JTC)