BIG RAMPAGE PLAYBACK PROBLEM!

Discussion about MARP's Tournaments

Moderator: giro-X

mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

The TJT wrote:If I playback in window, my rampage recording playsback only to 24k
If I playback fullscreen, playsback correct to 76k...

?
I've come across this before, affecting a few games. Parodius, Strikers 1945, maybe some others.

I thought it had been fixed some time ago though...
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Chad wrote:the full screen/window relation to 98/xp interesting...
I don't know....

When I play it with "clean" XP it plays to 76,815 windowed or not.

When I play with "compromised" XP it plays to 23,100 windowed or not.

My new win98 plays to 76,815 windowed or not.
John Cunningham (JTC)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I've certainly not had any full screen/windowed issues on this system, that I am aware of. Like I said, I thought it was fixed or something.
- Barry Rodewald
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Weehawk wrote:When I play it with "clean" XP it plays to 76,815 windowed or not.

When I play with "compromised" XP it plays to 23,100 windowed or not.
Interesting, I get exactly same: 23100 when windowed. So it goes wrong exactly same time.
Actually quite interesting...

What you mean by "compromised XP"?
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Interesting, I get exactly same: 23100 when windowed. So it goes wrong exactly same time.
Actually quite interesting...
Fascinating...
What you mean by "compromised XP"?
My XP machine played in the set generally made up of win98 systems until I found an apocryphal dll in use. It's removal lets the system play in the other set, generally made up of XP systems.

I therefore think of that dll as having "compromised" my otherwise "clean" system, and have been using those terms to describe the sets. We could as easily call them "Set A" and "Set B". Referring to them by OS is confusing as we are finding exceptions to the general rule. (SJK's XP still plays in the "compromised" set, your win98 plays in the "clean" set unless you use windowed mode)

We're gathering enough information here that someone really clever ought to be close to a "eureka!" moment...
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Tommi, let's try it the other way around.

Try to play Metrackle's 117k in fullscreen and windowed and tell us what happens.
John Cunningham (JTC)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

- Barry Rodewald
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Important news:

Seems like A and B set playback problem is about memory settings.

Ok, I found way to playback all rampage recordings +propably many others. :!: :D

Background: TJT's rampage didn't playback correctly "windowed".
Metrackle's rampage didn't playback with fullscreen.
Gameguru's Jedi recording didn't playback(with m37b8, dos)

Got them all working at changing memory settings of command.com(dosprompt). see picture below, normally dosprompt properties are all "auto"...with mamep.exe and m37b8 ...DOS versions of WolfMame and Mame, played back at dosprompt...

TJT's rampage: works when all memory settings are "auto", or EMS "none"
(gets only to 23100 when XMS is "none")

Metrackle's rampage: works when XMS is "none" (gets only at 28200 when EMS is "auto","none" or any value)

Gameguru's jedi: works when XMS or EMS is "none"
(if all memory settings are handled by windows, desyncs at very beginning)
-------
So you should be able to playback any of these so called A+B set games with dosmame, simply changing XMS- or EMS-memory to "NONE" at command.com properties (picture below)...or better, changing properties for whatever shortcut you use for dosprompt. Works fine for me, hope it works for other marpers too.

Cheers,

TJT

pictures:
1. changing memory settings

2. mem /c -command displayed at my machine when XMS memory is defined as "none".
(when EMS is "none", 2 lines where ems is mentioned are missing, and there should be more free xms)

(you may have to also put in your config.sys, lines:
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

good potential fix but unfortunatley it's not an extended memory fix for all!

I did the same thing with my 98 boot and i still can't playback xp recordings with it. I think you just lucked out that not using ems moved the dlls in memory in the right place so mame does play cleanly in order to playback the xp recordings....

note i have a few bytes more free conventional memory

Free 597,792 (584K) 597,792 (584K) 0 (0K)

less (cleaner) dlls that wouldn't be tempted to move back to conventional memory so the no ems/xms doesn't work for me, at least that's my guess.
-skito
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Damn, I thought I got it :evil: :lol:

Chad, might be that your guess is right, and memory doesn't cause it...Current situation is that today my computer doesn't seem to mind about memory changes. Yet if I playback windowed or fullscreen makes the difference.

Rather strange is that today that Jedi recording playsback with m37b8 allways, no matter what I change. Earlier it didn't playback at all...
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

you certainly got on the right track there, tjt! You've proven memory module changes DO affect the playback bug just as moving dll's around do. So address space makes a difference for sure. Clearly, there are some undefined values being used in mame somewhere. If a program is loaded in a difference memory space and has different operation, it means there's an undefined memory bug. But bugs like that would be pretty hard to find especially when they would be such a low priority problem (i.e. mame still "works".)
-skito