TOURNAMENT 8 - GAME DISCUSSION

Discussion about MARP's Tournaments

Moderator: giro-X

LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

Pot Of Gold is unleechable. Are you saying spending an extra 10 seconds on the first 2 levels is unacceptable leeching? 10 seconds is about all that is possible! It's just like any other game, no need for artificial time limits.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

LordGaz wrote:Pot Of Gold is unleechable. Are you saying spending an extra 10 seconds on the first 2 levels is unacceptable leeching? 10 seconds is about all that is possible! It's just like any other game, no need for artificial time limits.
yeah that's what i mean, if it's hell it's not that bad to put a time limit on it, and just incase someone can find a way "where it's not hell" to just sit in a joystick position constantly scroling across the screen automatically coloring a tree and the leprechaun never gets you, the limit will stop that kind of leeching we don't know about "yet". seem reasonable? as long as the 10 second limit is applied to only those who are trying to find that correct tree colouring leeching angle.

If people are just having a hard time trying to avoid the lepperchan and go over the 10 seconds that should be allowed... but it appears you're going to die or find the gold with in 10 seconds if you're playing for sanity.
-skito
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Regarding Zektor:

I notice that recordings made with MAME .33 were dq'ed due to slow emulation.

I have not tried to watch any of those recordings, but it seems to me that the emulation of this game was not brought up to full speed until MAME .72. The sound certainly is noticeably slower in versions .54 through .71 than it is from .72 up

Tommi, you're the ref for T8 (beat me to it) and currently the MARP high score holder (I'm getting close..) what do you think? Try running it with WolfMAME .71 and .72 and see if you notice the difference as well.

I realize this won't affect the tournament scores since everyone will be using .80
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Leprechaun.
I try to playing on Leprechaun in TG Bounty. And I say: for maximize score on some stages 10 seconds is too little.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Leprechaun

No need for time limit at all, if we use clone called "pot of gold" (potogold.zip). Can not leech at all, very hard to get all trees changed at first level even. Longer you stay at first level, faster leprechaun gets...faster than you very fast. 8O

Weehawk, I will mail soon about Zektor.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Weehawk wrote:Regarding Zektor:

I notice that recordings made with MAME .33 were dq'ed due to slow emulation.

I have not tried to watch any of those recordings, but it seems to me that the emulation of this game was not brought up to full speed until MAME .72. The sound certainly is noticeably slower in versions .54 through .71 than it is from .72 up

Tommi, you're the ref for T8 (beat me to it) and currently the MARP high score holder (I'm getting close..) what do you think? Try running it with WolfMAME .71 and .72 and see if you notice the difference as well.

I realize this won't affect the tournament scores since everyone will be using .80
Weehawk, mahlemiut...Zektor emulation

Ok, done some testing...

This week, when I started to play the game again, I thought was this game really so fast and hard...
Now I played mame tg35, Wolf71,74 and 82...I had feeling that 82 might be little faster, but propably it's only feeling...because you brainwashed me weehawk! :)

Timed demo screen at wolf82 and wolf71, between demo shooting chamber for extra ship and getting into gameplay demo ....both were around 50,8sec. So there should be no difference between these two versions. I can not hear sound(because dos drivers not installed?)at wolf71, but hear everything at 82. Zektor uses nowadays sound samples, which is quite new for the game.
So maybe there has been change at sound emulation only at version 72 or so.

Barry?
What bugs me is that around time I submitted Marp top score, GB9 and I zeroed older zektor inps because of slow Sega emulation. Speed of the game was very very slow at older versions(like 33 and 33b4 etc), something you would notice instantly when playing old mame versions and more new ones. I'm sure when I tested older versions at that time, gamespeed(f11) showed 100% but was really about 50-70% only.

..........But now I tried Zektor with mame33, I notice no difference to later versions at all??????
Is this because of faster processors?(Shouldn't be, because now I get about 1000-2000% speed with new computer at mame33, when pressing f10. +my computer was speedy enough at that time)

Maybe because of new graphic accelerators, or perhaps something to do with changed whatever multithreading and changed processor command routines with later processors????? I have P4 2,4, now.

edit Maybe speed was slow at mame32 early versions only, I remember had some difference between win and dos versions with the game.

other zektor stuff

This game uses sound samples for ziuuuung, bang, booom, swouuuwsh, crashhh sounds...So if you want more than only speech sounds, you know where to get them...

Game uses spinner(for left-right movement) +2 buttons. Using wolf 80, you must enable mouse at options-game default options-controllers. Maybe even using mouse is better than keyboard, dunno..not tried keyboard.

Gameplay gets harder with each new city to rescue, I think city 7 is hard and 8(hardest) too hard!

Really exciting game, I think much better than Asteroids, maybe even one of the best games ever(size zipped 42kb) 8). Too bad it was so rare at 80's.
This is what videogames are all about! :P

checkout:
http://www.arcadeflyers.com/index.php?p ... bs&id=1398

Aaaa, another warrior attempting to regain Baitos, he will not take it from me!

TJT
Last edited by The TJT on Thu May 20, 2004 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

i agree with 10 seconds being too little to try to maximize the pot, i'll make it 20 seconds, that proly still isn't the best time but if you haven't come close to maximizing in 20 seconds you're not trying to maximize the pot... 20 seconds limit to compelte the level, starting from when you appear.

Default wolf80 settings still seem good for all other games.
-skito
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin »

Chad wrote:i agree with 10 seconds being too little to try to maximize the pot, i'll make it 20 seconds, that proly still isn't the best time but if you haven't come close to maximizing in 20 seconds you're not trying to maximize the pot... 20 seconds limit to compelte the level, starting from when you appear.

Default wolf80 settings still seem good for all other games.
I completely disagree with this... even if there IS a chance to maximize points, that further you go, the more insane it gets. Every rainbow you notice it get a bit harder and every 2 rainbows you notice a HUGE jump.. that and the bonus you'd be able to get even in the earlier level is nothing compared to what bonuses you COULD get later in the game, it wasn't so insane. I figure this is almost a reasonable trade-off due to this, but you do have the ultimate say.

I only suggested this game due to the TG Bounty and the new Official TG Settings that were just released. I figured it'd good practice and someone might be able to win a bit of cash if they were lucky/skilled enough. No worries though...

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Just a gaming junkie looking for his next High Score fix.