TOURNAMENT 7 - DEBATE TIME

Discussion about MARP's Tournaments

Moderator: giro-X

User avatar
lagavulin
MARP Serf
MARP Serf
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 5:05 pm
Location: Bordeaux
Contact:

TOURNAMENT 7 - DEBATE TIME

Post by lagavulin » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:38 pm

Here are the results of my random pick of games.

Note that the exact order of the random pick of games is not indicated here : this will, I hope, prevent too much training with the games before the official beginning of the tournament.

Therefore, games are listed below [b]in alphabetical order[/b]. I selected 20 games from the 51 games that have been voted for. After the debate period, I will publish the list of the 8 games finally selected for the Tournament 7.

Now, debate can start in this thread, you can discuss about two things :

1 ) why certain games shouldn't be in the tournament : note that "I don't want to play it" will not be a valid reason The reasons to eliminate a game is speed, playbackability problems, leeching problems, scoring problems ...

2 ) settings and version : Indicate here why you think default settings shouldn't be used for a given game. For example, if you think a general marathon can be created, then we can imagine more difficult settings. For some games, you can indicate too the version or clone that you think it's better to choose.

[b]Debate will go until Friday 31st Oct at 23.59 GMT.[/b]

Exact date of the beginning of the tournament will be precised later.

LIST OF PRESELECTED GAMES :

1 - Ajax
2 - Battle Bakraid
3 - Biomechanical Toys
4 - Bombjack Twin
5 - Cameltry
6 - Cheese Chase
7 - Cybattler
8 - Defender
9 - Dig Dug
10 - Gigas Mark II
11 - Kyros
12 - Lunar Rescue
13 - Magical Drop 2
14 - Mappy
15 - Rolling Thunder
16 - Sinistar
17 - Smash T.V.
18 - Stack Columns
19 - Tail To Nose - Great Championship
20 - The Ninja Kids

----------------------

Thanks for your attention,
Lagavulin,
2003 MARP Tournament Coordinator.

User avatar
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:59 am
Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow

Re: TOURNAMENT 7 - DEBATE TIME

Post by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:44 pm

lagavulin wrote:Here are the results of my random pick of games.


1 ) why certain games shouldn't be in the tournament : note that "I don't want to play it" will not be a valid reason The reasons to eliminate a game is speed, playbackability problems, leeching problems, scoring problems ...

2 ) settings and version : Indicate here why you think default settings shouldn't be used for a given game. For example, if you think a general marathon can be created, then we can imagine more difficult settings. For some games, you can indicate too the version or clone that you think it's better to choose.

5 - Cameltry

I think we ALL know why this shouldn't be in. After that long ass thread, I have a fear that someone's gonna resurrect it be it inadvertently or accidentally... don't get me wrong, I love the game.. but I am worried.
8 - Defender

I'd love to know what the differences are [if any] between the Red, Green and White Label versions.

13 - Magical Drop 2

We're going to have to figure out which mode to play this in. Puzzle Mode [Medium difficulty recommended] or Challenge Mode. I recommend Puzzle mode because it gives a chance to really show off ^^ And shows true skill.

15 - Rolling Thunder

New Version!!! The old version has tht nasty reset glitch that randomly pops up, which wouldn't make a fair playing field.

17 - Smash T.V.

Unless there's objections, revision 8 should be used. Maybe I can finally see how to get into those secret rooms ^^ I once did make it to the OUTER pleasure room... wanna see if there's more to it! [And if my Hotrod SE could be calibrated and actually WORKED, I could fair decently... but since I can't even do a simple fireball properly...



Kelly
Just a gaming junkie looking for his next High Score fix.

User avatar
Chad
Tournament Coordinator
Posts: 4463
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:15 pm
Location: calif

Re: TOURNAMENT 7 - DEBATE TIME

Post by Chad » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:25 pm

[quote="Mr. Kelly R. Flewin]
5 - Cameltry


I think we ALL know why this shouldn't be in. After that long ass thread, I have a fear that someone's gonna resurrect it be it inadvertently or accidentally... don't get me wrong, I love the game.. but I am worried.
[/quote]

I think you could just force completion with the black ball (or say no blue balls) and you won't have any worries with this game. But that would mean people who don't finish the game all get 0's... hmm, dunno, i'd really like to see this game in completion though. But you'd have to pick from a lot of different splits which game to play, lotsa problems choosing this one.
-skito

User avatar
QRS
Editor
Posts: 954
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2002 3:33 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by QRS » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:43 pm

I disagree about Cameltry. As long as we set special rules for leeching spots etc. Chosing one of the courses to play only.
Also.. the game is very easy to finish.. even for a beginner. No matter what course you play. You will make it in 10 tries (hardest)

Just because we have had a thread about the worst scenario ever on that game doesn´t mean that it should scare us in a tourney... as long as we set rules in the start that works.

I would like to suggest the Special course, no use of the special balls and of course no "out of bounce" trick. If we follow those rules and dissallow any possible bumper leeching (Like the one on the expert course) It will not be a problem. I have not seen any simular spot on the special course, so that should be ok.


Another thing that is good with this game is that it is fast! You can finish the game in 5-7 minuter on the special course.

About Digdug:

MUST be a 5 men game only. Maybe 1 man game j/k (Yeah I don´t like it hehe) Seriosly though... It will be a marathon game if the pros shows up.
QRS

User avatar
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic
Posts: 2473
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:56 am
Location: 20 Grand Palace

Post by The TJT » Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:03 pm

I agree, cametry...special course best. No bumber leeching......no going through walls.

Should be able to select any ball(=iron best). Thrash them marp 1's!! :P
I mean should be competitive against current marp scores.

No digdug...because... :evil: :evil: 8O :evil:

User avatar
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer
Posts: 644
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2002 5:53 pm

Re: TOURNAMENT 7 - DEBATE TIME

Post by Kale » Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:30 pm

6 - Cheese Chase
Same HW of Ultimate Tennis,meaning that's slow on low-end PCs...

User avatar
Dax
MARP Serf
MARP Serf
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:03 am
Location: Aloof

Post by Dax » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:17 am

The TJT wrote:No digdug...because... :evil: :evil: 8O :evil:
Looks like I better jump in again and try and save them classics. Hopefully "because", won't be valid reason. If not Dig Dug then at least Defender. I think a five man limit on DD is a good idea.

From what I've seen theres not much difference I can tell in the Defender labels.

Lets get a good mix spanning the ages.

SJK
MARP Serf
MARP Serf
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:28 am

Post by SJK » Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:05 am

Dax wrote:
The TJT wrote:No digdug...because... :evil: :evil: 8O :evil:
Looks like I better jump in again and try and save them classics. Hopefully "because", won't be valid reason. If not Dig Dug then at least Defender. I think a five man limit on DD is a good idea.

From what I've seen theres not much difference I can tell in the Defender labels.

Lets get a good mix spanning the ages.
cause its teh prehistoric and team des won't be able to compete well but then you might see a 1st place inp in the last minute of all those weeks...
- Smraedis

wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:42 am
Location: Poland - Lodz
Contact:

Post by wuzel » Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:14 am

SJK wrote:
Dax wrote:
The TJT wrote:No digdug...because... :evil: :evil: 8O :evil:
Looks like I better jump in again and try and save them classics. Hopefully "because", won't be valid reason. If not Dig Dug then at least Defender. I think a five man limit on DD is a good idea.

From what I've seen theres not much difference I can tell in the Defender labels.

Lets get a good mix spanning the ages.
cause its teh prehistoric and team des won't be able to compete well but then you might see a 1st place inp in the last minute of all those weeks...
nice one man - u suck
It's good 2 be here with U guys :)

User avatar
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic
Posts: 2534
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:43 am
Location: Devil's Canyon
Contact:

Post by Weehawk » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:18 am

nice one man - u suck
------------------------
It's good 2 be here with U guys
8O
John Cunningham (JTC)
Image

User avatar
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: London, UK

Post by LordGaz » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:51 am

1. Ajax (scrolling vertical shooter)
No objections. How about autofire for people using the keyboard? :).

2. Battle Bakraid (scrolling vertical shooter)
Nice theraputic shootemup.

3. Biomechanical Toys (scrolling platform)
No objections.

4. Bombjack Twin (single screen platform collectemup)
No objections.

5. Cameltry (scrolling racer)
People with the right contoller ie. a spinner will have an advantage.

6. Cheese Chase (scrolling puzzle)
No objections.

7. Cybattler (scrolling vertical shooter)
No objections.

8. Defender (defend the planet horizontal scrolling shooter)
Hard to get used to the controls but once you are you will be addicted.
I use 'S','X' up/down, 'Q' smart, 'SPACE' reverse, keypad '0' hyper, keypad '.' thrust, keypad 'ENTER' fire.
Possibly this should be a 5 lives game to prevent marathoning.

9. Dig Dug (maze)
No objections and no limit on the lives because this is not a marathon game.

10. Gigas Mark II (breakout)
Advantage to people with spinners.

11. Kyros (scrolling overhead fighter)
No objections.

12. Lunar Rescue (rescue)
No objections.

13. Magical Drop 2 (puzzle)
No objections.

14. Mappy (platform)
No objections.

15. Rolling Thunder (scrolling platform)
No objections.

16. Sinistar (multiway scrolling shooter)
Who has a 49 way joystick?

17. Smash T.V. (twin joystick shooter)
Advantage to people with twin joysticks.

18. Stack Columns (puzzle)
No objections.

19. Tail To Nose - Great Championship (scrolling overhead driving)
No objections.

20. The Ninja Kids (sideways scrolling fighter)
I can't take this game seriously sorry.

Gaz.

User avatar
mahlemiut
Editor
Posts: 4133
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2002 10:05 pm
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: TOURNAMENT 7 - DEBATE TIME

Post by mahlemiut » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:18 am

lagavulin wrote:2 - Battle Bakraid
It'll be better than Dangun Feveron at least :)
lagavulin wrote:4 - Bombjack Twin
Oh yay, Bombjack all over again.
lagavulin wrote:5 - Cameltry
No real problems with this, I just hope the controversy doesn't start all over again.
lagavulin wrote:8 - Defender
Something for me to suck ass at. I'm pretty sure that you can use left,right,up,down for movement if you want, but it's been years since I last looked at this in MAME.
lagavulin wrote:9 - Dig Dug
I'll suck at this too. No problems otherwise.
lagavulin wrote:10 - Gigas Mark II
AAAAAAHH! Crappy Arkanoid clone! AAAAAHH!
lagavulin wrote:11 - Kyros
Hump of death. 'Nuff said. :)
lagavulin wrote:12 - Lunar Rescue
Ok.
lagavulin wrote:14 - Mappy
Ok.
lagavulin wrote:15 - Rolling Thunder
Ok. Some good platform fun.
lagavulin wrote:16 - Sinistar
Ok, other than the possible control issues.
lagavulin wrote:17 - Smash T.V.
Over the top blasting fun. :)
lagavulin wrote:18 - Stack Columns
God, I really suck at Columns. Moreso than shooters.
lagavulin wrote:20 - The Ninja Kids
Characters that remind you of Bert. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Image

User avatar
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic
Posts: 1969
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:38 am
Location: Poland

Post by destructor » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:55 am

FS (Frames per Second) on my Celeron 1GHZ with 128RAM.

1. Ajax
FS 60/60

2. Battle Bakraid
FS changed (must play with sound off to perfectly control) - which mode?

3.Biomechanical Toy
FS 60/60

4. Bombjack Twin
FS 60/60

5. Cameltry
FS 60/60 - which mode?

6.Cheese Chase
FS 50/50

7.Cybattler
FS 60/60

8. Defender
FS 60/60

9. Dig Dug
FS 61/61

10 Gigas Mark II
FS 60/60

11. Kyros
FS 60/60

12. Lunar Rescue
FS 60/60

13. Magical Drop 2
FS 60/60 - which mode

14. Mappy
FS 61/61

15. Rolling Thunder
FS 61/61

16. Sinistar
FS 60/60

17. Smash T.V.
FS changed (must play with sound off to perfectly control)

18. Stack Columns
FS 60/60

19. Tail to Noise - Great Championship
FS 60/60

20. The Ninja Kids
FS 60/60

BTW. Play without sound is not fun for me. :(

User avatar
Skyline
MARP Serf
MARP Serf
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:04 am
Location: Reno, NV, USA
Contact:

Post by Skyline » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:50 am

Battle Bakraid runs like a crippled smack fiend with terrets on my system.

8O

No other qualms with the rest of the games.

/me puts on a bullseye face mask

Please avert all Cheese Chase hatred towards the bullseye. K, thx.
「シューティング ラブ。」

User avatar
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer
Posts: 625
Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 8:11 am

Post by Francois Daniel » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:50 pm

Lagavulin wrote: 3.Biomechanical Toy
Must play on sound off for playback it.

Francois

Post Reply