Leaderboard Error

Discussion about MARP's Tournaments

Moderator: giro-X

gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Leaderboard Error

Post by gameboy9 »

I just wanted to put this clear in the open...

Right now it's first place scoring 100 points, then second place scores 19 points.

I thought it was 100-99-98-97... though it's a nice hybrid between the old and new scoring systems. ;)

not that I personally care, but I think the rest of the players do. :)
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
Zwaxy
MARP Founder

Re: Leaderboard Error

Post by Zwaxy »

gameboy9 wrote:I just wanted to put this clear in the open...
Right now it's first place scoring 100 points, then second place scores 19 points.

I thought it was 100-99-98-97... though it's a nice hybrid between the old and new scoring systems. ;)

not that I personally care, but I think the rest of the players do. :)
Hi GB9. You're the first person to mention this to me. I was simply following orders. Lagavulin originally approached me via a private message on this board:
lavagulin wrote:About the tournament scoring scripts : is it possible to change scoring in order to have 100 points ( instead of total number of players playing in the tourny ) for the first player in each game ? Can you do that ? I don't think it's too difficult to for you
He asked me to change the points awarded for first place. Then a few weeks later after I had sat on my ever enlarging arse doing nothing he emailed me to remind me:
lavagulin wrote:I remind you the second thing is to allow 100 points to the 1st score in
each game ( instead of number of players ).
I think he makes it clear that it's the first place score that should change, so that's what I did.

Looking back on these two requests I admin that it's possible (and even probable) that what he meant was a 100-99-98-... scoring system, but that's by no means definite. I quite like the current system, the way it places emphasis on being the best at a game. If I get 99 points for 2nd and only 1 extra for 1st place it makes me not want to bother getting first. And anyway, moving to the 100-99-98-... scoring system doesn't do anything at all to the leaderboard placings - it just adds a constant to each player's score, so why bother? Suppose there are 10 entrants. Under the old mechanism players score 10, 9, 8, ... points. Under the new system they score 100, 99, 98, ... points - every player just scores 90 extra points on each of the 8 games - every player gets 720 points that they wouldn't have got before - but that doesn't change the order of the leaderboard, it just makes the numbers bigger.

Whadaya reckon? Is there a thread where it is clear which of the two mechanisms was intended?
Zwaxy
MARP Founder

Post by Zwaxy »

Hmmm. I see. There *is* a thread which makes it clear. And it should be 100-99-98-... (unless more than 100 players enter).

I'll change the scripts then.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

i think even if more players enter and they are 101th they just get zereo from then on down. 100,99,98 is nice because you can divide your score by the number of games played to get a percentage % fitness. zwaxy is the python man.
-skito
Zwaxy
MARP Founder

Post by Zwaxy »

I've made the change. Now BBH has 795 points (of a possible 800)...
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Zwaxy wrote:I've made the change. Now BBH has 795 points (of a possible 800)...
don't worry, that won't last too long. ;) by the end of the tourney I'll be in 5th or 6th place as usual. :)
lagavulin
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by lagavulin »

Thanks for having changed the scripts, Zwaxy. This second change is the good one, as intended at the beginning : 100-99-98 .... This doesn't change a lot compared to old system, but just gives rounder scores. Sorry if my mails weren't clear enough, probably a translation problem:)
Lagavulin,
2003 MARP Tournament Coordinator.