Tournament 6 - List of games preselected

Discussion about MARP's Tournaments

Moderator: giro-X

lagavulin
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Tournament 6 - List of games preselected

Post by lagavulin »

Voting period is over. You will find below a list of games that are selected for the random choice of games I will make very soon. But some remarks before :

1 ) Ghost'n Goblins, Bonze Adventure, Bosconian, and wonderboy have been removed from the list ( have been played during olympiad ).

2 ) Puzzle Loop, Hydra, Pop'N Pop, Rampage, and kof 2001 are removed : they're too slow, even with fast computers. Note that I tested the games on a pIII 933 MHz and maybe some games are unplayable on slower computers. Players concerned have to tell quickly which games seem to be unplayable for them.

3 ) Time Pilot and Time Pilot 84 have been both voted : I kept only Time Pilot 84.

4 ) Finally, the games that are sequels of games already used in previous tournaments are also removed from the list. Note that I don't want to hear anything about that : I asked for your opinions on the board, it's too late to complain now :) . Games not selected are : Joust ( joust 2 already used ), Super Street Fighter II ( Sf2 already used ), Spelunker 2 ( spelunker already used ), Puzzle Bobble 2 ( PB already used ), 19xx - The War Against Destiny , and 1941 ( 1942 already used ), Metal Slug 2 ( mslug already used ), Wonderboy 3 ( wonderboy already used ).

FINAL LIST :
I'll probably randomly pick 1 fighter, 1 maze, 1 platform, 2 puzzle, 1 racing/sports, and 2 shooters.
Let me know in this thread if you think some games are not in the good category.

Fighters ( 5 ) : Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Magic Sword, Final Fight, Armored Warriors, Dungeons & Dragons : Shadow Over Mystara.

Maze ( 3 ) : Lock N Chase, Go Go! Mile Smile, Mr Do.

Platform ( 9 ) : Monster Bash, Hard Head, Black Tiger, Navalone, Mega Twins, Vs. Super Mario Bros, Psychic5, Rainbow Islands, Ixion.

Puzzle ( 13 ) : Logic Pro 2, Naname de Magic!, Boulder dash, Puzzle de Pon, Magical Drop II, Tant-R, Tetris Plus 2 (World?) [Puzzle Mode], Toride II Adauchi Gaiden, Hexion, Wit's, Pang 3, Kick, Ghox.

Racing / Sports ( 4 ) : Rally Bike, Super off road track pack, Spy Hunter, Pleasure Goal / Futsal 5 on 5 Mini Soccer.

Shooters ( 23 ) : Xybots, Raiden, Shock Troopers, Chimera Beast, Dangun Feveron, Dark Seal, Invinco, Gun Bird, Time Pilot 84, Act - Fancer Cybernetick Hyper Weapon ( WR 1 ), Blaze On, Blazing Star, Sinistar, Gyruss, Armed Police Batrider, Air Gallet (Taiwan), Last Resort, Parodius Da!, Star Wars, Zektor, Tac/Scan, Finest Hour, Rescue.
Lagavulin,
2003 MARP Tournament Coordinator.
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

kof2001

Post by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin »

Are you sure about KOF2001?!?!

I'm running a Duron 650 with 384 under the hood and it runs virtually 100% all the way... EVEN IN Alphamame .63 [well alright, it does go down like 5% every once in a while, but that's still purely legal speeds]

Just curious as to why it'd be slow on your end...

Kelly
Just a gaming junkie looking for his next High Score fix.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

That is kinda strange, he might have been testing it with sound on, still i think 933mhz should be able to blaze that game with sound on and autofs.

EDIT: right the size of the rom... oh well worth a shot.
Last edited by Chad on Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-skito
lagavulin
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by lagavulin »

about kof2001, it's mostly the size of the rom ( 78 Mb ) that leads me to remove it. I don't want to oblige some players with a 56K modem to download it for hours :)
Lagavulin,
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I'm sure I remember being forced to play Lock 'n' Chase in some tournament...

Also, would anyone call Dark Seal a shooter?

And Super Street Fighter II isn't technically a sequel... SF3 would be the sequel, wouldn't it? But if you're going to discount similar games like SF2 and SSF2, then you'll have to discount Vs. SMB, and the PC10 version was in the Olympiad from memory.

Should've voted for Street Fighter Alpha 3 instead (unless you want to discount prequels too?).
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

mahlemiut wrote: Also, would anyone call Dark Seal a shooter?
Or Gauntlet is a shooter too :D . And Magic Sword is the same kind of game than Black Tiger. One is in fighter (???) and the other in Platform.
mahlemiut wrote: And Super Street Fighter II isn't technically a sequel... SF3 would be the sequel, wouldn't it? But if you're going to discount similar games like SF2 and SSF2, then you'll have to discount Vs. SMB, and the PC10 version was in the Olympiad from memory.
I agreed :) I've done my advice in the thread the last week. It's not because they have the same name they're identical. Remove 19XX and 1941 because 1942 was already played is nonsense. In this case remove all vertical shooters because they are all almost the same game play!!!
And for Wonder Boy 3, the first is an only platform game bu the 3 is mi-platform mi-shooter.

Francois
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Black Tiger and Magic Sword should certainly both be platform games.
- Barry Rodewald
Metrackle
Mutant Puzzle Freak

Post by Metrackle »

Act-Fancer should be classified as a platformer instead of a shooter.

Ixion should be classified as a maze game instead of a platformer.
Last edited by Metrackle on Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

mahlemiut wrote:Black Tiger and Magic Sword should certainly both be platform games.
I agreed :)

Francois
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Metrackle wrote:Act-Fancer should be classified as a platformer instead of a shooter.
I agreed but it's exact this one is in the middle of the 2 classification.

Francois
lagavulin
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by lagavulin »

About the list of games, I corrected some mistakes, following your remarks. Is that better now ? Please indicate any more changes you would do ...

Fighters ( 4 ) : Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Final Fight, Armored Warriors, Dungeons & Dragons : Shadow Over Mystara.

Maze ( 5 ) : Lock N Chase, Go Go! Mile Smile, Mr Do, Ixion, Dark Seal.

Platform ( 10 ) : Monster Bash, Hard Head, Black Tiger, Navalone, Mega Twins, Vs. Super Mario Bros, Psychic5, Rainbow Islands, Magic Sword, Act - Fancer Cybernetick Hyper Weapon ( WR 1 ).

Puzzle ( 13 ) : Logic Pro 2, Naname de Magic!, Boulder dash, Puzzle de Pon, Magical Drop II, Tant-R, Tetris Plus 2 (World?) [Puzzle Mode], Toride II Adauchi Gaiden, Hexion, Wit's, Pang 3, Kick, Ghox.

Racing / Sports ( 4 ) : Rally Bike, Super off road track pack, Spy Hunter, Pleasure Goal / Futsal 5 on 5 Mini Soccer.

Shooters ( 21 ) : Xybots, Raiden, Shock Troopers, Chimera Beast, Dangun Feveron, Invinco, Gun Bird, Time Pilot 84, Blaze On, Blazing Star, Sinistar, Gyruss, Armed Police Batrider, Air Gallet (Taiwan), Last Resort, Parodius Da!, Star Wars, Zektor, Tac/Scan, Finest Hour, Rescue.
Lagavulin,
lagavulin
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by lagavulin »

To François, Barry, and all who are concerned, about the choice of the sequels or too similar games removal.
I asked for opinions, and very few of you answered. I had to take a decision, I took it. Maybe it's not the good one, but it's too late now. So there's no need to complain more, or even to add something : keep your arguments for t7 :D .
Lagavulin,
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

lagavulin wrote:To François, Barry, and all who are concerned, about the choice of the sequels or too similar games removal.
I asked for opinions, and very few of you answered. I had to take a decision, I took it. Maybe it's not the good one, but it's too late now. So there's no need to complain more, or even to add something : keep your arguments for t7 :D .
Pas de problèmes, je comprends tout à fait :)

But... Puzzle de Pon isn't too similar to... ?

Just kidding :D

François
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Actually, you're right. Puzzle de Pon was similar enough to Puzzle Bobble for Visco (I think it's a Visco game?) to get a license from Taito. Now try telling that to some of those other PB clones... :)
- Barry Rodewald
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

mahlemiut wrote:Actually, you're right. Puzzle de Pon was similar enough to Puzzle Bobble for Visco (I think it's a Visco game?) to get a license from Taito. Now try telling that to some of those other PB clones... :)
;)

Francois